E500 Estate - If Only...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine's a December 2003 build with a 7G-tronic

According to the MB Technical Bulletin, the Valeo rad problem doesn't affect cars with the seven-speed box.

Mine's an 04 and was fitted with a Valeo radiator. A slight weep was noticed on a routine service and replaced at about 120k miles, iirc

I
So it is : Gearbox number 722901 00 018311

Wow everyday is a school day :thumb:

As a very early installation of the 722.6, it means that if the speed sensor fails, the valve body requires replacement alongside £££.

The W211 E500 had the seven-speed right from the start of production. Mine is a November 2003. I don't know whether the seven-speed oil cooler setup was different, but either it was, or the Valeo rad was not fitted to cars with that box.

What's the cost and how can I tell if mine has a Valeo?

A replacement Valeo rad cost £175 plus fitting, but that was 5 years ago (I've only done 17k miles in lt since). When I first bought the car, I was told it didn't have a Valeo rad fitted, and they were wrong, so I don't know how you'd tell, Michael. The belief at the time was that they weren't actually fitted to the V8s.

I had a 2003 e320 cdi , it had a Valeo unit, i had a 2002 e55k, it had a valeo unit, and guess what my 2004 (04) e55k had? yep lol a valeo unit

But all cars had a 5g gearbox. Even still at the mileage and age of the Op's vehicle id fit a new rad out of precaution, cheaper than a box and Tc

What's the cost and how can I tell if mine has a Valeo?

If it has a seven-speed box, unless the MB Technical Bulletin was incorrect it doesn't have a Valeo rad of the design that causes the problem. The V8 E55ks did; the V8 E500s did not. If anyone has a seven-speed E500 that has had the problem, please say so now.

If you have a W211 E500 with a seven-speed box and you're going to fit a new rad as a precaution, go ahead, but it won't stop the problem, because unless the MB bulletin was incorrect the problem won't occur on your car.

See here: Still juddering !! | Parts, Maintenance & Servicing

Last edited:
if its got a built in cooler within the main radiator excess age and mileage they will fail sooner or later, at the miles of the Op's car if it were mine id change it.

But i do like changing bits n bobs when it comes to cars ;)

it doesn't have a Valeo rad of the design that causes the problem.

This clarifies things. Had I been told that I had a Valeo rad when I first bought the car 8 years ago, I would have changed it on a preventative basis. I was advised incorrectly, therefore, on two counts. The weeping that ultimately led to its replacement (with another Valeo rad) was coming from a joint at the top of the rad.

Hi - Just bringing this one back-up. The car is about to re-appear on ebay. I will also post FS add here.

I've loved the car but not cherished it. I was 50/50 about spending a modest amount on her but a facelift E550 recently became availbale and has replaced the E500. Is it wrong to have 2 E500's;)?

Ah - just noticed I cant post in classifieds due to post count (which is a testiment to how reliable my E500 has been!). Please ask here if interested. Add should be live this evening.

Usual ebay waste of space bidder! Its back up if anyone fancies a cheaky early Chrimbo present.

Well yet another eBay time waster!!!! Neither party even bothered viewing. What the hell is wrong with people:mad::mad::mad:

Well yet another eBay time waster!!!! Neither party even bothered viewing. What the hell is wrong with people:mad::mad::mad:
How much has it ended up "going for" both times if you don't mind me asking?

1700 & 1200.....

Is it this one?

Totally understand the frustration with eBay time wasters, and your description seems fairly honest/candid etc.

But I have to be brutally honest, I can’t see much life left in this car - surely it’s rapidly getting to the point on being beyond economical repair - MOT due next month? :-(

Anything’s fixable but no doubt as you worked out, it’s sound financial sense at this point to move on? :)

Sorry if that’s not what you want to hear but probably realistic and might save you more eBay fees and time wasters etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom