E500 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely colour, makes a change from the usual silver or black, but not much info.

Lovely colour, makes a change from the usual silver or black, but not much info.

Agree, advert definitely lacking. I am guessing it is fairly standard (but high ish factory spec)
I might get one of these in the summer to replace my daily driver.
Would this have a sunroof?

I'm almost certain it does from one of the many interior shots from their website. You could just make out the sunroof aperture.

I like it. Colour looks like Tealite Blue.

What goes wrong with these then ?

What happened at the facelift ?

Do they all have air suspension ? This one seems a little high at the front ?

Last edited:
I think if I come across a designs one or funky spec at similar money I will cave. Do fancy one of these.
This does look nice though..

Do they all have air suspension ? This one seems a little high at the front ?

All 211 E500 I've viewed had airmatic. I'm sure it's standard spec.

All 211 E500 I've viewed had airmatic. I'm sure it's standard spec.

All the ones I viewed when looking for my BIL were airmatic and its the downfall of the car, handling is just not up to the engine and chassis because of airmatic that + SBC would definitely have to make you think twice

All 500's have airmatic. I'm assuming if you are finding a problem with handling in a car with airmatic, you're looking at ones with knackered shocks, because it is better than the standard spring setup by some way (and yes, I've owned both).

That car looks like bog standard interior (very rare to find one without Comand or at least APS50), but with a sport kit exterior. Looks nice and agree, nice colour.

All the ones I viewed when looking for my BIL were airmatic and its the downfall of the car, handling is just not up to the engine and chassis because of airmatic that + SBC would definitely have to make you think twice

It depends on how the suspension is set. I had a play with mine the last time I used it (but the first time in over two years!!), and it made a huge difference.

Like as not, the SBC pump will have been replaced already at that mileage (mine was done at about 68k), and you can buy American reconditioned struts a lot cheaper, and with lifetime warranties. I bought my car from the second owner, who was American, and he'd had one fitted, with the other not needed, so I got that as a spare, along with the compressor, all of which he bought on a trip back home. Everything is fine a couple of years later, and these cars, apart from being a joy to drive, are a bit of a Q car too!

They are prone to a bit of corrosion at the rear on the underside, so check for rusty brake pipes, exhaust mountings and sticky calipers. Mine doesn't have a sunroof unfortunately, but it does have 4 way climate control. They are one hell of a car for that sort of money.

Gone now , own up , who bought it ?

Probably done me a favour tbh , I want a c55 :wallbash:

You probably rightmost much time to play with suspension settings on test drive apart from checking it's working, suits the S class perfectly not sure about the E though

As for SBC mileage is nothing to go on I know of 2 cars one on 186k the other on 221k that are still on their original SBC unit, it's not the mileage it's how many times you brake

Not guilty, but did come close!

You or I should have bought Nick Mason's 210 E55 AMG. That was a nice (if pricey) car that will have been well cared for.

great value for money! i bought my 212 e500 from sterling performance and they have a great selection of cars, and always seem to have a few top end mercs for sale. great buy for whoever bought it!

You or I should have bought Nick Mason's 210 E55 AMG. That was a nice (if pricey) car that will have been well cared for.

That's what I ended up with, a W210 E55 estate (not Nick Mason's) after doing loads of research and viewing numerous W211 E500 estates. Nearly bought one with under 70k miles with the hope that it'd be a reliable daily runner with those sort of miles. Unfortunately it had no options whatsoever and very poor cosmetics for the asking price. Finally, although advertised with FMBSH, it was 5000 miles overdue the big service!

So far, I couldn't be happier with my E55. It feels so much quicker than an E500.

It should do ! It's got another 60 ponies under the lid and weighs a fair bit less :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom