E500 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like these V8 sound, nice ride ,and practicality I'm always tempted to get rid of the CLK430 and the two W124 estates and settle for one of these but i love the looks of my 430 and its designo interior and i love the character of the 124's I've had to stop at 5 cars unfortunately

With that mileage it won't fetch much, and the W211 E500 is a very nice place to be while driving; best-balanced overall of all the V8 211s, I think. Worth a punt?

I think the slightly later ones have a bit more poke but I'm guessing very rare?

I think the slightly later ones have a bit more poke but I'm guessing very rare?

212 e500 (550) are really scarce - 15 or so rhd estates? A friend has one and likes it. Quite a hike from 306 to 383 bhp but still a good bit short of the amgs

Looking at the mot history it appears to have been converted from airmatic to conventional shock absorbers, which are on advisories.

Mercedes Benz E500 Airmatic, 7-Tronic, Harman Kardon, Sat Nav, FSH, Fully Loaded | eBay
Shame, I think it is a Euro 3 car per gov.uk registered 08sep2005 £325 ved but check to be sure. For cheap money, maybe.

Importantly it's NOT subject to the new ULEZ fees, which will make it more popular for London owners.

As regards the VED - who cares? The petrol, depreciation and other running costs are the real difference.

They're great cars - capable of 250,000 miles if properly maintained. But I sold mine at 70k miles... because I "thought" that was enough. I was wrong.

I’m in, bid placed. :cool:

I’m in, bid placed. :cool:

I'm thinking of selling mine shortly, but every time I think it I get cold feet, and I'm tied up for the next month or so, but watch this space! Hopefully the seller isn't a member here?

I'm thinking of selling mine shortly, but every time I think it I get cold feet, and I'm tied up for the next month or so, but watch this space! Hopefully the seller isn't a member here?

Who knows? In probability not, it's a wild world out there, in the "real" world:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Importantly it's NOT subject to the new ULEZ fees, which will make it more popular for London owners.

As regards the VED - who cares? The petrol, depreciation and other running costs are the real difference.

They're great cars - capable of 250,000 miles if properly maintained. But I sold mine at 70k miles... because I "thought" that was enough. I was wrong.

On the 25th October 2021 it will become chargeable under the ULEZ. It is a euro 3 car! The minimum petrol standard is Euro 4.

On the 25th October 2021 it will become chargeable under the ULEZ. It is a euro 3 car! The minimum petrol standard is Euro 4.

I was quoting from the TFL ULEZ vehicle checker on the TFL website:
ULEZ vehicle checker

Here's the screen I saw. TFL is disagreeing with you, but at least it means the car's owner isn't going to be charged.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 17.58.17.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 17.58.17.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The government's emissions data for a September 2005 registered E500 estate say it is a Euro 3 car. If we look in more detail at the individual limits for Euro 4, it seems that the data on the government site fall within the Euro 4 limits, so it seems the TfL checker is more likely to be correct and the government emissions data is wrong to class the car as euor 3 when the values seem to indicate euro 4 limits are passed. I didn't look at things in a very detailed way, but there does seem to be a discrepancy. As long as TfL is happy, then I would concur that your assessment is reasonable.
per Select a search : Directgov - Car fuel data, CO2 and vehicle tax tools
Manufacturer
MERCEDES-BENZ
Model
E-Class (S211) Estate
Description
E500 (245 Tyres)
Engine capacity
Transmission/gearbox
A7
Fuel type
Petrol
Vehicle tax details
You can pay by Direct Debit for certain vehicles, either annually, six monthly or monthly. Where Direct Debit is available the rates are shown.
Standard rate 12 months
£325.00
Monthly cost: £28.44 – total: £341.25
Standard rate 6 month cost
£178.75
or £170.63 if renewing automatically by Direct Debit
Tax band
K
CO2 emissions (g/km) (weighted)
Fuel consumption
Imperial Urban (cold)
Imperial Extra Urban
Imperial Combined (weighted)
Metric Urban (cold)
Metric Extra Urban
Metric Combined (weighted)
Further details
Before using the data here to compare models, please read "how to use the data" in the glossary section
Noise Level [dB(A), moving]
CO Emissions
[g/km or mg/km under Euro 5/6]
0.264 ***<1.0g/km per Euro 4***
HC Emissions
0.044 ***<0.1g/km per Euro 4***
NOx Emissions
0.016 ***<0.08g/km per Euro 4***
HC+NOx Emissions
Emissions Particles [g/km or mg/km under Euro 5/6]
N/A
Euro Standard
3 ***so why it says Euro 3 here is a mystery!***
Fuel Cost / 12,000 miles
£2,906

per the rac website:-
Euro 4 emissions standards (petrol)
CO: 1.0g/km
THC: 0.10g/km
NOx: 0.08g/km

16/33mpg, ved £325, some mot history questions. Budget for a repair of some description. Insurance and fuel not so much of an issue on a classic policy and limited mileage. Evidently, it has struck a chord, as the bidding has gone from the £200 to £1,220. No other E500 estates. A few saloons, but this example is in the low ved zone! Ebay sold listings indicate auction sold values of £1,000 - £3,400 . I think I'm going to pass on this but wish the bidders and the owners all the best!

Ulez aside, I've just read the ad again, clearly shown as Airmatic, yet this is one of the advisories on the mot "Offside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect (5.3.2 (b))".

That’s a lot of mileage!

What about:

Mercedes E500 AVANTGARDE | eBay

There are quite often S211 E500 on eBay or ‘trader and they seem to sell fairly quickly (at least compared to the saloons which stick around a while). Asking prices are usually £3-7k depending on mileage and condition.

That’s a lot of mileage!

What about:

There are quite often S211 E500 on eBay or ‘trader and they seem to sell fairly quickly (at least compared to the saloons which stick around a while). Asking prices are usually £3-7k depending on mileage and condition.
Front bumper is of different shade and the shutting line is way to big and the spec is a basic (now even the parking aid) for £6k.

That’s a lot of mileage!

What about:

People who do not put the current registration on the car but their business name instead means that you cannot do its MOT history without phoning them up. On balance, a high mileage car, inspected properly and purchased with known faults from a private seller is somehow better than a dealership car IMHO.

The problem with these is that the airbags might be on the way out but it would take several days of being idle for the suspension to drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom