E500 oil change.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slsteve

Car
1995 sl500 and 2002 s500l
Hi;
I have just purchased an E500 and there is no engine oil level dipstick fitted. As I normally change my oil using a siphon pump, is this no longer an option for me or is there still a way of draining the oil using the pump?
The alternative is to go back to crawling about under the car, I would like to avoid this.
Anyone help?

There is a dipstick tube

on the E500 although there is no dipstick supplied. The oil can be removed from this tube.

Its clearly shown in this video and should have a red plug on top

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is unlike mine. My tube, complete with dipstick is at the rear of the engine against the rear bulkhead. 5.5 V8:)

This is unlike mine. My tube, complete with dipstick is at the rear of the engine against the rear bulkhead. 5.5 V8:)
Yes, but yours is an entirely different engine so why would the dipstick be in the same place. The OP has an M113, the video is correct. Yours is the M273 (I think).

Last edited:
I must have missed something.
Header...OIL CHANGE E 500. That's why I questioned the video. As long as the op has his question answered.
Hi;
I have just purchased an E500 and there is no engine oil level dipstick fitted. As I normally change my oil using a siphon pump, is this no longer an option for me or is there still a way of draining the oil using the pump?
The alternative is to go back to crawling about under the car, I would like to avoid this.
Anyone help?

I assumed, rightly or wrongly, the OP has a W211 E500 with an M113 engine. If that is incorrect I apologise. The video above will not apply.

No problems at all:D.
I did exactly the same but assumed he had a C207. I am on the phone app. It does not show Avatars or details of the OPs car.:)

No problems at all:D.
I did exactly the same but assumed he had a C207. I am on the phone app. It does not show Avatars or details of the OPs car.:)

The OP hasn't updated his Avatar or E500 so no help there anyway:D
We'll find out soon enough.
What is apparent is that both M113 and M273 have a dipstick tube:banana:

Hi all;
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for any confusion, the car is a 2003/4 W211 E500 with the M113 engine. I have seen that video but it was of no help, there is no dipstick or tube fitted, believe me, I have spent some time looking! Also, there is no reference to a dipstick in the manual, just the electronic check.
There is a dip stick tube with a red cap at the rear of the engine but I assume that this is for the transmission.
I have previously owned an S500 with the M113 engine and a SL500 with the M119 engine and these were both fitted with dip sticks at the front of the engine.

Hi all;
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for any confusion, the car is a 2003/4 W211 E500 with the M113 engine. I have seen that video but it was of no help, there is no dipstick or tube fitted, believe me, I have spent some time looking! Also, there is no reference to a dipstick in the manual, just the electronic check.
There is a dip stick tube with a red cap at the rear of the engine but I assume that this is for the transmission.
I have previously owned an S500 with the M113 engine and a SL500 with the M119 engine and these were both fitted with dip sticks at the front of the engine.
M113 engine has both gearbox and engine 'dipstick' tubes at the rear of the engine closer to the windshield. Both on right hand side looking out from the drivers seat (RHD).

OK, had a another good look around the engine bay, there is only one dip stick tube and that is for the transmission. There is definitely no engine oil dip stick tube and when googling it, all I can find is confirmation of there not being one on this model year.
So, it looks like I have to get underneath and drain the oil? Is this how the dealers do it?

M113 engine has both gearbox and engine 'dipstick' tubes at the rear of the engine closer to the windshield. Both on right hand side looking out from the drivers seat (RHD).
My dipstick is at the front. You can't just say that...they are all a bit different.

OP. You do realise that on a N/A M113 engine you have to remove the air filter unit entirely to see the front dipstick tube.

Don’t think he realises mate if he still can’t find it :p

THERE IS NO ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK TUBE!!!!
Thanks for all the replies but I will leave this now.

By now you could have just drained it from the sump ;)

Just saying...

OP. You do realise that on a N/A M113 engine you have to remove the air filter unit entirely to see the front dipstick tube.
Again, on my normally aspirated M113 I don't have to remove the air filter unit. Are you just trying to wind him up?

You are correct...not all M113s are built the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom