E500 replaced by Porsche Cayenne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

After many months of looking and then not buying and then looking.... I have finally bought a Porsche Cayenne.

I really love it, but its not as good as the E500, but it does give me what I was looking for and that is more space and better rear seating with baby seat in place.

Porsches are very much like Mercedes used to be and all the interesting toys are an option. Being a self confessed spec junkie, I looked at many cars and tried to decide which toys were an absolute must and which I could live without, the latter list was much shorter than the former.

In the end the compromise came in the engine department as I went for a V6 rather than the glorious V8, still not sure that was the right thing to do, as I miss the power and the smoothness.

The options that I do have are: Sat Nav, Sunroof, parking sensors, tyre pressure monitoring, electric seats with memory, electric steering column, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, multi function steering wheel, tiptronic, xenons and air suspension.

Two options that it does not have, but are easy mods are Cruise control (the parts arrived before the car did) and roof rails which I am on the look out for.

I really miss keyless go, so will investigate if Porsche Drive and Go is a viable mod to have fitted.

Will post some pictures, when I have taken some.

Regards

Tan

Last edited:
One picture that I have on my phone.

Attachments

• image-1614287072.jpg
    image-1614287072.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 251
Nice car and spec Tan... Also looking for one to replace the X5 I have... Yours needs 20's and privacy mate... Oh and a 4.5 V8 :)

I had a V6 Cayenne about 4 years ago, without the air suspension, and absolutey hated it, I only kept it six months.

The ride was so harsh, on 19" wheels and with the gear change buttons on the steering wheel, I would change gears when turning corners.

The interior of the V6 has far to much plastic, where as the V8 is swathed in leather, and looks much nicer.

That's my moan, hope you enjoy yours.

I've got an older 3.2 V6 Cayenne with most of the extras that were available at the time. We need something that can get us from A to B when it snows, can tow when we need it to and is comfortable to take to Switzerland skiing. We looked at a few M's but the right spec never came up...

I'd keep the smaller wheels, they may not look as good but are far more practical on a 4x4 (IMHO.)

A

What sort of MPG do they give?

The wheels do look tiny on that but probably make for a better ride.

What else did you consider? any other makes.

I'm suprised a car such as that does not have cruise as std? seems odd. I like the inside of them but don;t think I could get my head round the fuel now (and I used to have a petrol ML350 so know what its like) even with my low miles per year,

Hope you enjoy it, quite a different car?

Maybe a E500 S211 would have been suitable (there is currently at least one for sale... I looked the other day. 5.5 v8....)

Nice car and spec Tan... Also looking for one to replace the X5 I have... Yours needs 20's and privacy mate... Oh and a 4.5 V8 :)

Thanks, I am looking for a set of 20's, it does have privacy but due to the sun that morning it looks like it does't, will try and get more photos today.

I had a V6 Cayenne about 4 years ago, without the air suspension, and absolutey hated it, I only kept it six months.

The ride was so harsh, on 19" wheels and with the gear change buttons on the steering wheel, I would change gears when turning corners.

The interior of the V6 has far to much plastic, where as the V8 is swathed in leather, and looks much nicer.

That's my moan, hope you enjoy yours.

The extended leather interior is an option on both the V6 and V8, think it was standard on the Cayenne Turbo. The plastic is pretty horrendous, mine has the extended leather, so leather console, doors, dashboard etc

What sort of MPG do they give?

The wheels do look tiny on that but probably make for a better ride.

What else did you consider? any other makes.

I'm suprised a car such as that does not have cruise as std? seems odd. I like the inside of them but don;t think I could get my head round the fuel now (and I used to have a petrol ML350 so know what its like) even with my low miles per year,

Hope you enjoy it, quite a different car?

Maybe a E500 S211 would have been suitable (there is currently at least one for sale... I looked the other day. 5.5 v8....)

The 18's do look slightly small but with brand new tyres, will do for now whilst I source some 20's.

The reason that I didn't look at the S211, is that when we have our baby seat in the back of the W211, the middle seat is pretty much useless. To be fair I didn't even try one, as I assumed the rear seat bench would be the same.

At the moment I am getting 18 to 20 MPG, i think if I did ever go back to a diesel, I would struggle but for now I am living with it.

I considered the ML, but wasn't keen and my wife didn't like it, looked at Range Rovers but reliability was a concern. X5 was a no...as its a BMW and I have loved the Cayenne for years.

I use my S211 with a fixed base station which the baby seat 'clicks' onto and then a 'normal child seat on the other side.

Not often but sometimes I have a passenger in the middle of these two (an adult) and it is tight. But then you could get the 7 seat S211...

I NEVER thought I would drive a diesal car and have always had fairly big engined petrol ones....Now we have two diesals and love them. Compared to the ML where I could almost watch the fuel guage drop and I would work out the cost in my head of every trip now we just jump in either car and away we go.

I get 45mpg on a run and my wifes 55 mpg. the ML was probably 15 to 28, after 3 years I gave in....

IMG_2800.jpg

Always liked the Cayenne but there is part of me that wants a V10 diesel Tourag ...

Nice car with good spec.

My brother in law has also recently bought a Cayenne but his is the V8 - What a MONSTER of a car with pretty much every option. The only downside is that he has also had to buy a petrol refinery :)

They are good motors. had mine for 4 years without any real problems. The 3.2 V6 I found to be under powered for the weight of the car & had a re map from 250bhp to 298bhp was much better, but still not as good as the V8.

Bought the V6 as I thought of ecomomy but in the real world it was much the same as a V8.

I had 20" wheels & with the right tyres it would go anywhere in any weather, no problem. Point of advice, make sure the geometry is set up & spot on & the pressures correct as the have a habit of eating front tyres, especially on the edges. Coil packs are also acommon issue if it feels lumpy or misfires, Porsche are a fortune but eurocarparts do them (same as for the Tourag) cheaper and they are made by the same people !

Enjoy
Cheers

PS. If you want a Turbo front bumper and 3rd Cat decat pipe I have them !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom