E500 S212 in Silver!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SW18

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model Y (Formerly S212 E500)
These don’t appear often, the last one was a brown one that was up for sale last year.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202005319671569?minimum-badge-engine-size=5.0&advertising-location=at_cars&keywords=E500&postcode=se17na&model=E CLASS&sort=price-desc&page=1&aggregatedTrim=E500&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

This one looks better than most, with a good spec that includes the “hens’ teeth” pan roof and a pale interior. It’s claimed to have FMBSH too and is only 24k Miles.

It’s a hefty price tag and no doubt someone will be along shortly to point out that you can get an E63 for not much more, but every time S212 E500s come up they tend to sell pronto. Often to forum members - you know who you are!

Last edited:
The interior's a bit of a mish-mash for my taste - not all the same colour wood (and I don't care for the light wood on the doors), basically a black interior with some light panels to go with the seats. The contrasting colours look works on my black SLK; I really don't think it does on that. It's a matter of taste, though, and with that low mileage and full history, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold quickly either.

(One of the previous owners was a bit of a knob - the AMG badge on the tailgate... :rolleyes: )

(One of the previous owners was a bit of a knob - the AMG badge on the tailgate... :rolleyes: )
Yes, that amused me! To go with the floor mats, I suppose...

I'd say that's a good price.

The angles in a couple of the photos make the styling appear almost unrecognisable, which is odd.

I really like the idea of one of these, compared to an AMG. Yeah an AMG would be more fun but the hopefully reduced running costs might make up for the more muted driving experience.

Do I remember someone said the different colour wood is down to sun damage (or have I just made that up)?!

I hate it when the write up re the car is so poor though. I guess they want me to call or go see the car to get more info. I want to know all the details now!

I’m going to keep my eye on this one :)

Do I remember someone said the different colour wood is down to sun damage (or have I just made that up)?!

This also was evidenced in the last one on sale on PH, a brown one owned by the Fishermen's Friend heiress.

I don't think that the running costs would be any different to an AMG, all conditions being even.

This also was evidenced in the last one on sale on PH, a brown one owned by the Fishermen's Friend heiress.

I don't think that the running costs would be any different to an AMG, all conditions being even.
I think you’re right.

Interested to know why you guys think it would be as costly to run as an AMG [of similar price]?

Tyres and brakes would be cheaper, as would insurance I imagine? You could possible get a few extra mpg out of one of these [which does add up when you're doing 12k miles a year]? Would general servicing be the same, as it's a V8 [I would of thought an 'AMG tax' would be added to any AMG product at independents or dealers]?

I guess E500's are usually highly specced, so lots of complicated bits and pieces to go wrong, as per an AMG, so I see how they'd be comparable here.

Interested to know why you guys think it would be as costly to run as an AMG [of similar price]?

Tyres and brakes would be cheaper, as would insurance I imagine? You could possible get a few extra mpg out of one of these [which does add up when you're doing 12k miles a year]? Would general servicing be the same, as it's a V8 [I would of thought an 'AMG tax' would be added to any AMG product at independents or dealers]?

I guess E500's are usually highly specced, so lots of complicated bits and pieces to go wrong, as per an AMG, so I see how they'd be comparable here.
I think if you bought an E500 and E63 of similar age/mileage and condition and ran them both for two years, there would probably be the odd hundred quid here or there between the two which, over the timespan is negligible imo; no one buys an oldish Mercedes V8 with too much of an eye on the costs...

Where the E500 does shine is for those who simply don’t like AMG’s and the attention they bring; they want something more “understated” as Mercedes of yore tended to be.

I think if you bought an E500 and E63 of similar age/mileage and condition and ran them both for two years, there would probably be the odd hundred quid here or there between the two which, over the timespan is negligible imo; no one buys an oldish Mercedes V8 with too much of an eye on the costs...

Where the E500 does shine is for those who simply don’t like AMG’s and the attention they bring; they want something more “understated” as Mercedes of yore tended to be.
Agree with the above - except why do so many ‘500s end up with AMG wheels and badges on them (like the one in this thread!) :)

It’s been discussed several times over on the forum.

Insurance will vary from one individual to another - I haven’t found AMGs expensive to insure personally.

MPG I can’t imagine will be hugely different between any of the 5+ litre V8s - lets be honest you don’t buy a V8/AMG for the fuel economy anyway?

All cars need tyres and brakes replacing from time to time. But in reality it’s depreciation that is the biggest cost of motoring for most people. AMGs tend to depreciate heavily at first, but as they get older they seem to bottom out better than regular old large petrol cars. See how much say an E55 or CLS55 is worth versus a comparable E500 or CLS500 :)

Having said that, the car in this thread seems decent enough value for the mileage and spec/condition. Just needs to lose that wannabe AMG badge ;)

I think you’re right.

Brakes are the biggest difference - on GSF today it's £87 for an E500 front disk & £533 (!) for the E63. I remember that tax well from when I ran C43's. 18 inch tyres cost less than 19's. Black Circle have Pilot sorts at £85 & £180 respectively. Insurance & fuel will cost a bit less.

So over, say, 3 years, 20k, one set of discs and 2 sets of tyres maybe £1,500-£2,000 difference.

The bigger difference is that for any given age/mileage/condition it costs at least 20% more to get into an E63 in the first place. So a £16.5k E500 becomes a £20k+ E63. So you need to stump up another £4k or so. Or, if you want to go the other way, save 20% or more and get into diesel.

Brakes are the biggest difference - on GSF today it's £87 for an E500 front disk & £533 (!) for the E63. I remember that tax well from when I ran C43's. 18 inch tyres cost less than 19's. Black Circle have Pilot sorts at £85 & £180 respectively. Insurance & fuel will cost a bit less.

So over, say, 3 years, 20k, one set of discs and 2 sets of tyres maybe £1,500-£2,000 difference.

The bigger difference is that for any given age/mileage/condition it costs at least 20% more to get into an E63 in the first place. So a £16.5k E500 becomes a £20k+ E63. So you need to stump up another £4k or so. Or, if you want to go the other way, save 20% or more and get into diesel.
Cheers for the answers guys. The thing I like most about this E500 is what you're getting for your money - A 212 Estate with a V8! I won't have the budget to get a decent 212 E63 so my £16k would get this, or an C/E/CLS55, 204 C63 saloon etc. I'd really like an estate though...I'm sure it'll sell long before I'm ready though [unless they'd give me a good price on a Forester STi]?!

Cheers for the answers guys. The thing I like most about this E500 is what you're getting for your money - A 212 Estate with a V8! I won't have the budget to get a decent 212 E63 so my £16k would get this, or an C/E/CLS55, 204 C63 saloon etc. I'd really like an estate though...I'm sure it'll sell long before I'm ready though [unless they'd give me a good price on a Forester STi]?!

When I bought mine I stretched my initial budget a little bit for the E500 but couldn't have stretched to a W212 E63. Well, I could have, but I'd set myself a strict budget and didn't want to go far beyond it. At the time I could have had an older 211 E63 for the same price on double the miles but wanted to be in a newer, lower-mileage 212.

The 500 is, of course, slower than a 63 but it is in no way a slow car. It does 0-60 in the very low 5's, 0-100 in the high 11's.

The 63 is barking - low 4's to 60, 9.5 to 100 (!).

I love these discussions on this forum; I have a 211 E500 - the profile pic attests to the fuel consumption difference!

My car is maintained by an indy with largely OEM parts - so the brake disc cost example for a pattern part cited above, wouldn't do in my case. I asked my indy whether I have saved anything over and above running an AMG (12,000 miles per annum) and he told me that it wouldn't cost me any more to run an AMG, in terms of servicing.

The difference, as pointed out, is the access point for pricing. I didn't have £13k+ for am AMG, but wanted a V8 and an estate and a Mercedes and the element of discretion. I'm so happy with my decision.

I think that a 24k example with a FMBSH at this price point won't suffer a great deal of depreciation, relative to the mileage/usage.

I love these discussions on this forum; I have a 211 E500 - the profile pic attests to the fuel consumption difference!

My car is maintained by an indy with largely OEM parts - so the brake disc cost example for a pattern part cited above, wouldn't do in my case. I asked my indy whether I have saved anything over and above running an AMG (12,000 miles per annum) and he told me that it wouldn't cost me any more to run an AMG, in terms of servicing.

The difference, as pointed out, is the access point for pricing. I didn't have £13k+ for am AMG, but wanted a V8 and an estate and a Mercedes and the element of discretion. I'm so happy with my decision.

I think that a 24k example with a FMBSH at this price point won't suffer a great deal of depreciation, relative to the mileage/usage.

Similar to me then. I had £15k no problems and, with a stretch, could get to £17k. Which I did.

But a 50k-ish miles 212 E63 was £21k+.

Maundrells supplied me new OEM discs all round at £300 for the parts - I'm guessing the fronts were around £100 ea & rears £50. So loads cheaper than the AMG equivalent.

The price of C43 fronts used to really cheese me off. Can't see how the manufacturing cost could possibly be five times as much.

Maundrells supplied me new OEM discs all round at £300 for the parts - I'm guessing the fronts were around £100 ea & rears £50. So loads cheaper than the AMG equivalent.

The price of C43 fronts used to really cheese me off. Can't see how the manufacturing cost could possibly be five times as much.

c43 front discs = £355.

I think the hardest problem you’ll have is actually finding a good choice of E500’s - there are plenty of AMG estates to go around though!

I think the hardest problem you’ll have is actually finding a good choice of E500’s - there are plenty of AMG estates to go around though!
I think it'll just come down to what's available at the time I'm ready to buy. I'd be more than happy with a nice E55 estate [or maybe saloon], a C55 estate [or maybe saloon], a CLS55, a C/E/CLS63 if I'm feeling brave...or one of these :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom