E500 S212 in Silver!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it'll just come down to what's available at the time I'm ready to buy. I'd be more than happy with a nice E55 estate [or maybe saloon], a C55 estate [or maybe saloon], a CLS55, a C/E/CLS63 if I'm feeling brave...or one of these :)
Pound for pound (and trying to buy the newest) the C63 estate would possibly be my choice at that budget. But, again, it depends how you budget your car purchases and how much emphasis you put on “running costs” - I buy what I want then just pay out as I go along!

Pound for pound (and trying to buy the newest) the C63 estate would possibly be my choice at that budget. But, again, it depends how you budget your car purchases and how much emphasis you put on “running costs” - I buy what I want then just pay out as I go along!
I'd be struggling to get a good C63 estate for my budget, as the estates do seem to carry a slight premium. I wouldn't mind a saloon but I still haven't decided if I'd want to risk the whole headbolt thing?!

For me the reason for the E500 rather than E63 was largely the entry fee. 5 years ago for 5-year-old ones, the cost of E63s was still up near £30k vs under £20k for the E500. Interestingly Audi S6 were also holding their value very well at that time so were also too costly to be on my radar. It might be different now and the S6 seems to me to be a good alternative in terms of comparable performance and comfort (for those who can/will countenance an Audi).

As discussed, brakes and tyres are cheaper for the E500, other costs are largely the same. In particular there’s Airmatic on both, so potentially some big(ish) bills there at some point.

Fuel consumption is surprisingly reasonable on the M273 engine in the E500, as owners of SL500 can attest. Close to 30mpg is perfectly achievable on long runs and I get 26-27mpg overall. The E63 6.2 can’t get near that, but of course neither engine can be called frugal. The E63 5.5 reportedly does get similarly good mpg to the M273 and has the huge power output and tuneability to boot. Since the E63 5.5 was quite a big seller, I reckon there could be some cheap ones around in years to come, making for some bargain supercar performance.

Interested to know why you guys think it would be as costly to run as an AMG [of similar price]?

Tyres and brakes would be cheaper, as would insurance I imagine? You could possible get a few extra mpg out of one of these [which does add up when you're doing 12k miles a year]? Would general servicing be the same, as it's a V8 [I would of thought an 'AMG tax' would be added to any AMG product at independents or dealers]?

I guess E500's are usually highly specced, so lots of complicated bits and pieces to go wrong, as per an AMG, so I see how they'd be comparable here.
Have a go in a few cars when you’re able and see which one fits your style.

If you think you would like an AMG then possibly the most-AMG for your money is a C63 AMG. Despite it’s image, it’s actually a capable and (relatively) comfortable cruiser when standard.

There are less expensive AMGs - and an ML63 is probably the least expensive 6.2 to buy - but it’s softer too, it’s angry side is not as severe as a C63 (when standard), and at anything other than very illegal speeds it’s as quick or quicker.

The E63 sits between them.

The E500 is a great car, and dials back the angry a touch further still, but still a very special experience, quick, and sounds wonderful but a softer sound.

Listed on Autotrader at 9.30 on Sunday morning. I put my deposit on it at 11.30am and picked it up today, Tuesday.
More detail to follow in due course. Pleased to say it is 95% as described.
Re the E63: E500 debate, IMHO it's the wrong comparison. To me the E500 drives and rides as a smaller version of the S500.

Listed on Autotrader at 9.30 on Sunday morning. I put my deposit on it at 11.30am and picked it up today, Tuesday.
Re the E63: E500 debate, IMHO it's the wrong comparison. To me the E500 drives and rides as a smaller version of the S500.
Well done. Looks like a cracking car. I had the same debate when I was looking at CLS SBs. There were lots of 350CDIs, but I didn't want a diesel with only doing 8k miles pa. I looked at AMGs but they were very expensive to buy and I wasn't keen on the hooligan image. Having found the virtually unique CLS500 SB I was hooked immediately. With an incredible engine and turn of speed, handling etc, it also offered perfect ride quality on 18" wheels and a much more relaxed way to travel, but a wolf in sheep's clothing when you want to play. The lower running costs and about £10k less on the purchase price also helped me justify it to Mrs jdrrco.

You'll love the 500. Well done!

Last edited:
Look forward to reading more about it mate.

Well done. Looks like a cracking car. I had the same debate when I was looking at CLS SBs. There were lots of 350CDIs, but I didn't want a diesel with only doing 8k miles pa. I looked at AMGs but they were very expensive to buy and I wasn't keen on the hooligan image. Having found the virtually unique CLS500 SB I was hooked immediately. With an incredible engine and turn of speed, handling etc, it also offered perfect ride quality on 18" wheels and a much more relaxed way to travel, but a wolf in sheep's clothing when you want to play. The lower running costs and about £10k less on the purchase price also helped me justify it to Mrs jdrrco.

You'll love the 500. Well done!
My word. I didn’t even know they made a petrol V8 SB (that wasn’t an AMG)! Have you posted up pics on here?

What will you do with the 211? If you're selling, what colours is it inside and out?

Last edited:

Happy to hear it all stacked up and will be really interested to hear more about it.

Is it coincidence that you searched? I only get notified of watched categories on AT with an email the morning after...

Yes, it was. I had a socially distanced drinks with another car holic the previous night and we'd spoken about driving trips this summer, so I just idly checked autotrader over coffee. Although I can get my two bikes into my black E500 saloon if I'm just going to the coast or the Forest, bikes need to go on the roof if I'm taking all the holiday kit as well.

A great buy with that mileage and spec, IMHO :thumb:

Is that the optional luxury package I can see (headlining etc?)

What happened to the number plate?

Well bought, good luck with it and be interesting to hear how you get on - should clean up like new :)

That’s what I like to see - decisive car buying actions!

Yes, it was. I had a socially distanced drinks with another car holic the previous night and we'd spoken about driving trips this summer, so I just idly checked autotrader over coffee. Although I can get my two bikes into my black E500 saloon if I'm just going to the coast or the Forest, bikes need to go on the roof if I'm taking all the holiday kit as well.

That's serendipitous... meant to be. Thank goodness you had the wherewithal and an understanding wife.

That’s what I like to see - decisive car buying actions!

Excellent skills there. Similar timescales to me; I called on the first day of the listing, jumped on a train the next morning and had it bought by lunchtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom