E500 S212 in Silver!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wedge the Msoft Surface in between the two front seats and the children are very happy. I find that modern technology leads to suprisingly workable solutions - such as the iphone plugged into COMAND via the six cd changer cable and then controlled with my apple watch!

That's interesting - are you talking about the boot-mount CD changer?

No, the dash mounted CD changer that mounts under the COMAND screen in the 211.
Oh yeah of course - was confusing it with my C43's.

So where's the cable?

PS it took Biglips about 5 mins to figure out the aux in in the glove box. I never even knew it was there!

Reviving this thread again.... Was in Blakeney, North Norfolk over the weekend and saw my first (other than mine) E500 estate in the flesh. Was in the cuprite brown with light beige designo interior.

If no-one on here then there's another one to add to the list! KM10 plate

That's a good spot! It sounds like the Fisherman's Friend example that was on sale for around £15k on Pistonheads.

Reviving this thread again.... Was in Blakeney, North Norfolk over the weekend and saw my first (other than mine) E500 estate in the flesh. Was in the cuprite brown with light beige designo interior.

If no-one on here then there's another one to add to the list! KM10 plate
That's a good spot! It sounds like the Fisherman's Friend example that was on sale for around £15k on Pistonheads.
Great spot! Seems fairly certain to be that same one, surely no one else would have bought a brown one...

It's not the brown one discussed last year as that reg started PL10 and didn't have the privacy glass. Found a pic in the previous thread....
Oh - so there may actually be 2 brown ones! Quite surprising that 2 people chose that colour. Just checked my notes and the one listed for sale previously had reg PL10WBV, though that plate doesn't come up on the MOT checker or askMID now. But PL10 plates are from Preston (hence, I supposed, that was the car owned by Mrs Lofthouse of Fisherman's Friends) and KM10 plates would be from Luton/Northampton (as it happens most MB-registered cars have 'K' prefixed plates, presumably as HQ is in Milton Keynes).
Anyway, I have added it to the list that I keep and look forward to seeing it on sale one day to get more details!

91f94722a0199eb1658714500304431d_249184_10.jpg

Or maybe someone's put privacy glass and a personal plate on Doreen's car ?

Looked up some performance numbers for Thunderbird Two as a result of my trip to Edinburgh last month.

"Something on the trip" reminded me that it's a fast car:

E500 5.5 0-62 in 5.2, standing quarter 13.4 mpg 27

I'm still looking for a personal car for hopping about. I've been looking for a well-specced facelift SL500 but I've always had a fancy for these two, which are cheaper than they used to be:

Ferrari 456 0-62 in 5.1 standing quarter 13.3 mpg 15
Porsche 996 C4S 0-62 in 5.1 standing quarter 14.3 mpg 24

A bit of a shocker, to see it in black and white, although I guess we knew it.

The other shocker is reliability. Those two really are in a completely different league.

But they are so pretty and they sound spectacular

_mg_6818-1600_-_copie-1.jpg

Last edited:
Why not an SL55? It's just an SL500 on steroids, really; no more Achilles heels than an SL500, but in a different performance league altogether.

Looked up some performance numbers for Thunderbird Two as a result of my trip to Edinburgh last month.

"Something on the trip" reminded me that it's a fast car:

E500 5.5 0-62 in 5.2, standing quarter 13.4 mpg 27

I'm still looking for a personal car for hopping about. I've been looking for a well-specced facelift SL500 but I've always had a fancy for these two, which are cheaper than they used to be:

Ferrari 456 0-62 in 5.1 standing quarter 13.3 mpg 15
Porsche 996 C4S 0-62 in 5.1 standing quarter 14.3 mpg 24

A bit of a shocker, to see it in black and white, although I guess we knew it.

The other shocker is reliability. Those two really are in a completely different league.

But they are so pretty and they sound spectacular

_mg_6818-1600_-_copie-1.jpg
The other two won't depreciate, though, which is a bonus. But then you can't get 500kg of people and stuff in them!

It is quite staggering that the humble E500 can match them for pace, and also not break, which is nice.

Why not an SL55? It's just an SL500 on steroids, really; no more Achilles heels than an SL500, but in a different performance league altogether.

I love AMG's new, but simply don't fancy them second user. The service histories are different.
(I'm not really that bothered that they're almost twice the price for something that looks pretty similar, but it's a factor)

For me, it's the S211 that hits the sweet spot; I've had a couple of 212s, and the 212 cabin (and on the facelift, the exterior styling) just isn't as good, just isn't as 'Mercedes', as those of the earlier car. I'd love a facelift 211 with the 5.5 engine, but like E500 estates in general, they're pretty rare, and the chances of finding one in the colour combination I want are pretty slim; probably less than my chances of winning the Lottery...

For me, it's the S211 that hits the sweet spot; I've had a couple of 212s, and the 212 cabin (and on the facelift, the exterior styling) just isn't as good, just isn't as 'Mercedes', as those of the earlier car. I'd love a facelift 211 with the 5.5 engine, but like E500 estates in general, they're pretty rare, and the chances of finding one in the colour combination I want are pretty slim; probably less than my chances of winning the Lottery...

Someone wins the lottery every week.

How many E500 5.5 estates do you see each year "in the right colour" and spec? One ?

I say this because this is exactly my problem in buying an SL500 5.5 to the right colour, spec and mileage. I saw one, once.... (Thank heavens I only need one to pop down to the shops)

How many E500 5.5 estates do you see each year "in the right colour" and spec? One ?

Of the 211 model, in about three years of looking so far, none...

I nearly had a 211 estate in Tanzanite with a cream full leather interior a few years back, but the seller welshed on the agreed deal - he'd "decided it was worth more". I can't recall which engine it had, though, but it probably won't have been a diesel.

There's at least one 212 (dark blue with a light interior; I can't recall whether that's yours or not) belonging to a forum member that would fit the bill, but I'd rather a 211 with the 5.0 than a 212 with the 5.5 engine, and the 211 I have now looks just right for my taste, now that I've changed the wheels. Though I'm not generally keen on silver I think the S211 looks ace, in a slightly dated, very 'Mercedes' way, in Brilliant Silver.

How timely! Iain Tyrrell’s latest vid is on the Ferrari 456:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom