E53 AMG 19 plate tyre skipping issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joty

Car
Mercedes e53 AMG 4matic+
Hi all,
Hope everyone is doing well in this difficult times.
I have a question on Mercedes e53 AMG 4matic+, I have recently bought the car. Really like the car, however I have an issue with tyre skipping in the front, current summer tires. Been to the Mercedes and I have been advised to swap the tires for a winter ones now as I have bought the car lesson a month ago if I do change the tires and this issue is still there I definitely want to return the car I don’t I think Mercedes should get away with something like this as you pay a top dollar for their cars.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Joty

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
There are numerous threads on here regarding this characteristic which is a "feature" of very many performance cars (not just MB) with wide, low-profile, tyres in cold conditions.

Bottom line is that winter tyres will either totally eliminate, or almost totally eliminate, the tyre skipping sensation in cold conditions. Whether you really want to go to the expense of purchasing and fitting winter tyres, only you can decide, as the sensation will be much diminished when the weather warms up anyway.

Mercedes changed the Pirelli tyres on my C43 to OEM Conti's free of charge when I complained about this, it was particularly bad and I was afraid of skipping into cars in tight parking situations. That has resolved it about 80%, still skips a bit in the cold but nowhere near as bad as it was.

Wide performance summer tyres with stiff side walls unfortunately don’t get on well with cold weather, but our desire for bigger and wider wheels - combine with sports car handling - pushes car manufacturers into tyres with these characteristics.

The good news is that winter tyres will almost certainly prevent tyre skip, but as it’s difficult to get enough heat into the summer tyres in cold wet winter weather you’ll find that they perform better almost all time in winter ...not just in snow.

Wide performance summer tyres with stiff side walls unfortunately don’t get on well with cold weather, but our desire for bigger and wider wheels - combine with sports car handling - pushes car manufacturers into tyres with these characteristics.

The good news is that winter tyres will almost certainly prevent tyre skip, but as it’s difficult to get enough heat into the summer tyres in cold wet winter weather you’ll find that they perform better almost all time in winter ...not just in snow.
This is absolutely right. There should be a standard piece on the site about winters and the specific issue of skipping. It will save a lot of time! Love the pic on the GTC by the way (sorry to go off piste here). Nailed on spec for paint, roof and wheels.

Guys really appreciate the feed back!. I have contacted the garage where I bought the car from, and waiting for further news.. however Mercedes have recommended to change wheels and tyres??.💷💷💷💷 will update further

This is absolutely right. There should be a standard piece on the site about winters and the specific issue of skipping. It will save a lot of time! Love the pic on the GTC by the way (sorry to go off piste here). Nailed on spec for paint, roof and wheels.
Thank you, very kind 🙌🏻

Guys really appreciate the feed back!. I have contacted the garage where I bought the car from, and waiting for further news.. however Mercedes have recommended to change wheels and tyres??.💷💷💷💷 will update further
It’s quite common to go a size smaller for winter tyres, but there may be a winter tyre available in the same size as your summer tyres, which can be fitted on your existing wheels. See what the dealer suggest but perhaps shop around before committing if there is a cost to you.

It’s quite common to go a size smaller for winter tyres, but there may be a winter tyre available in the same size as your summer tyres, which can be fitted on your existing wheels. See what the dealer suggest but perhaps shop around before committing if there is a cost to you.
Hey Bobby,
Appreciate all the Intel I intend to wait and hopefully The garage where I bought it from will deal with it alternatively I just have to buy winter tyres on the same wheels..

alternatively I just have to buy winter tyres on the same wheels
While I'm generally an advocate of winter tyres, unless you travel widely from your stated location of London, I'd be inclined to give it a miss for this year as the weather will warm up over the next two or three months making them less relevant.

I've run winter tyres on the same rims as summer tyres and also on a separate set of rims. The latter costs more, but has the very real advantages that:
  • You can often go down a size or two from the summer tyres which means taller sidewalls
  • Taller / narrower tyres can give better traction in difficult conditions
  • Taller / narrower tyres will be less susceptible to the "skipping" sensation you're trying to eliminate (at the expense of slightly less turn-in precision)
  • Your summer rims aren't subjected to the corrosive effects of road salt and therefore remain pristine longer (especially relevant for diamond cut rims)
  • Swapping whole tyre/rim combo's on your driveway is much easier and cheaper than demounting and remounting/rebalancing tyres (less risk of damage to your rims too)
The other downside in addition to cost is that you need somewhere to store the rimes & tyres not in use, but that takes up similar room to a set of unmounted tyres anyway.

mine has always done it when i pull out of the drive on full lock in cold weather

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom