E53 Coupe or C63 Standard/S/Edition 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon737

Car
A rubbish one...
Hello all,

First post!

I’m looking at getting into an AMG (E or C class coupe) in the next 2-3 months, recently test drove the E53 Coupe and was very impressed, however my heart says C63, that’s the car I’ve longed to own for a while now, haven’t test driven one yet though only sat in one (wanted to see if the car is practical using the rear seats).

Question is, for the price range I’m looking at (around £65-£70k) there are a few low mileage edition 1’s pre-facelift - in terms of resale eventually should I hold out for the facelifted version or will the pre facelift edition 1 prob stick around the same value for a similar year i.e 2017 vs 2018/mileage?

Cheers.

What a dilemma!! :cool:

Having come from an E55 into a C63 and after a morning of driving on pheck awful roads :mad:, if I was in your wonderful position I would take the E53 all day long.

Having said that, I still love my C63 :rock:

Welcome to the forum Simon,

I had the use of a CLS 53 for 5 days and although it was a lovely car, for me it wasn't a patch on the '63. The CLS 53 was sharp and knew how to trot on, but if you are wanting that bit more power and that great V8 sound track then I wouldn't imagine that a '53 would cut it. A negative (or maybe not) that a C63 has Vs an E53 is no 4matic+ and then there is the added comforts of the E class over the C class.

Needless to say I would choose the '63 over the '53 and the E class over the C class, which brings us on to a 2017 W213 E63 saloon with 4matic+, that would be at the higher end/slightly stretch that budget, but I take it you are only considering coupe's anyway.

I guess the only way you will know for sure is to take a C63 and a E53 out back to back and compare them for yourself. It's a win, win situation whichever one you choose.

Sorry, I don't have any input on resale values.

Thanks for that, you’re right that I have to test drive the 63, and I have a feeling that once I do my decision will be made.... E63, yeah very nice bits of kit but as you say slightly out of my price range. I love the look of the interior of the edition 1’s too....ahhh decisions decisions...

I 'd try and get a test drive in both models before making any firm decision.
The E and C class are very different to drive whichever engine is under the bonnet.

You'll get a far nicer ride in the E53, but an exhilarating trip in the C63.

Cheers, I will do - I think the decision will ultimately boil down to W205 pre-facelift E1 or W205 facelift ‘S’ coupe.....

Hello all,

First post!

I’m looking at getting into an AMG (E or C class coupe) in the next 2-3 months, recently test drove the E53 Coupe and was very impressed, however my heart says C63, that’s the car I’ve longed to own for a while now, haven’t test driven one yet though only sat in one (wanted to see if the car is practical using the rear seats).

Question is, for the price range I’m looking at (around £65-£70k) there are a few low mileage edition 1’s pre-facelift - in terms of resale eventually should I hold out for the facelifted version or will the pre facelift edition 1 prob stick around the same value for a similar year i.e 2017 vs 2018/mileage?

Cheers.

Welcome Simon.

A few question I’d ask is it going to be a daily driver and are you going to regularly need the rear seats?

The back of any coupe is pretty tight and unless the rears are for kids (smallish ones at that) an E is probably better than a C. The V8 is very addictive but day to day you rarely get chance to use half the power on tap, but it’s very nice knowing it’s there. All the Edition 1 C63s had the same grey interior with yellow stitching and it suits some colour much better than others.

As Ritchy said , do a back to back test , but beware the seduction of the V8 :D

I got an E53 Coupe about 6 weeks ago and it is a fantastic car. The interior is on a different level to the C63 and is much nicer.There is a recent review on evo of the E53. Have a look at that thread.

I got an E53 Coupe about 6 weeks ago and it is a fantastic car. The interior is on a different level to the C63 and is much nicer.There is a recent review on evo of the E53. Have a look at that thread.

The E Class interior is about as good as it gets in any car these days , particularly if you stump up for the full carbon, IMHO definitely a long way in front of the C class pre or post facelift.

The rear of the 63 is tight I agree there, myself and partner went to try one (didn’t drive of course) and she is 5’9 and her head was touching the roof, I don’t work regular shifts but the days I do work it’ll be being used but then it’s only me in the car. I do have 2 small kids as well 4 & 6 so they’d fit fine I’m sure, plus they wouldn’t be in it every day....prob plan on keeping the car 3 years by which time the kids ‘should’ still fit. Head says E53 - heart says 63.....

The new C63 is too small. Saw another one today and it is deeply underwhelming. Zero road presence.

The new C63 is too small. Saw another one today and it is deeply underwhelming. Zero road presence.
A new C63 coupe with zero road presence?
I know everyone has got their own opinion, but I totally disagree with that. The new C63 coupe IMO is the meanest looking, eye catching coupe in its class on the road today.

Coupes look great but I learned my lesson over the years with young kids. Struggling with child seats in the rear while leaning inside of the car (always seemed to be raining too), then on the school run, front passengers needing to get out to let the kids out of the back.

If your heart says ‘63 - go with it because it doesn’t matter how much you think your head will win out, there is nothing on this earth that will make up for the feeling at the pit of your stomach if you go for the shandy AMG and you pull up at the traffic lights next to a ‘63...

If your heart says ‘63 - go with it because it doesn’t matter how much you think your head will win out, there is nothing on this earth that will make up for the feeling at the pit of your stomach if you go for the shandy AMG and you pull up at the traffic lights next to a ‘63...

The days of the large capacity V8 in the C Class May be numbered , the move to smaller capacity and hybrid is inexorable, grab a V8 while you still can and the kids in the back will have memories to treasure :D.

The days of the large capacity V8 in the C Class May be numbered , the move to smaller capacity and hybrid is inexorable, grab a V8 while you still can and the kids in the back will have memories to treasure :D.

Haha!!! Memories of shear terror!!!

Have to disagree with the ‘no road presence’ - I certainly notice them!

Thanks for all the replies so far from everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom