E53 - is it a compromise for a full fat E63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tblk

Car
E53 & C63(soon to be sold)
I currently own a 2014 W204 C63 AMG for weekend dry use and a E220 estate as a daily but of recent I’ve been strongly thinking about combining both and buy the E53 estate. Does anybody have any experience of these? I feel the full fat E63 will be too much for a daily due to my annual mileage but equally I love my C63. Thoughts

I don't have any real answer as such, but I can say I drive my E63 maybe every other day. Should we be normal again then I'd be driving it every weekday.

I currently own a 2014 W204 C63 AMG for weekend dry use and a E220 estate as a daily but of recent I’ve been strongly thinking about combining both and buy the E53 estate. Does anybody have any experience of these? I feel the full fat E63 will be too much for a daily due to my annual mileage but equally I love my C63. Thoughts
It’s only a compromise if what you really want is an E63S.

The E53 is a great car, and may well be ideal for what you’re looking for, but it’s no more suited to being used everyday than the E63S, the E63S can do it just as easily.

It’s an E-Class Mercedes - which is one of the most accomplished taxis ever made - so if any car is up to the job of daily use and big mileages then it’s an E-Class.

How many miles are you doing a year Tblk?

On a side note, in respect of the E53 and E43, I don't like the idea of piped, enhanced exhaust noise in the cab, which AFAIK can't be turned off.

I’ve had the E53 estate for 2 months and LOVE IT. I keep finding excuses for extra drives - already done 4000+ miles. If you drive it sensibly on motorways you can get 35mpg; but hard driving can drop below 20mpg. Make sure you get performance exhaust option - turns car from exec limo to sports fun. I came from an Audi S4 avant and the E53 is quicker, better steering, better handling. The engine is outstandingly refined and loves to rev. I’ve not driven e63 so can’t comment there. Go test drive - there a lots about and with the recent refresh you can get a bargain. I got >£14k off list

I drove the 213 E63s extensively- in short I found it too hard on the road compared to the 212 we had previously. Then took the E53 out for a couple of days and found it much more comfortable and to be honest, it’s performance was more than enough- I won’t be attending Vmax. However maybe I’m just a pussy now 😂

I drove the 213 E63s extensively- in short I found it too hard on the road compared to the 212 we had previously. Then took the E53 out for a couple of days and found it much more comfortable and to be honest, it’s performance was more than enough- I won’t be attending Vmax. However maybe I’m just a pussy now 😂
I agree, and I think we've said as much before, but the E53 is probably closer to being a modern take on the E55 than the E63 is. With time 63 models are becoming increasingly aggressive in feel and look - and sound - which takes away some of the Q-car feeling of the E55 which worked so well.

The question is what do you want from your new car?
When my W213 E63s went into the dealers for some work, they gave me a E53 for a couple of days..................................I was disappointed with the sound and performance of this "new AMG". Don't get me wrong the E53 was more than capable of performing and in no way am I trying to put it down, but IMO it wasn't a patch on the 63s.

You will need to drive both cars for an extended period and then only you will be able to decide what best suits your requirements.
I suspect coming from a raw 204 C63, the E53 won't cut it, but there again I don't know what you want/expect.

Either way, you'll have a great car.

Sorry guys. Have been offline. I used to do over 20000 a year but with my current working arrangement which looks to remain for the foreseeable future will drop down to a maximum of 15k miles.

I just help that it’s a lot of miles in a E63 in terms of fuel.

On a side note, in respect of the E53 and E43, I don't like the idea of piped, enhanced exhaust noise in the cab, which AFAIK can't be turned off.
I wasn’t aware of this. That’s a negative for me

Nor me. I'd rather hear whatever the engine is, even if it is crap, than some piped in sound.

Sorry guys. Have been offline. I used to do over 20000 a year but with my current working arrangement which looks to remain for the foreseeable future will drop down to a maximum of 15k miles.

I just help that it’s a lot of miles in a E63 in terms of fuel.
I suppose it depends how much you’re prepared to pay for fuel. It’s only too much if it’s too much, but that varies by person.

Personally I prefer to pay a little more and drive the car I really want rather than pay a little less and drive a car I think is alright.

A few years ago I leased a sensible car - to reduce emissions rather than costs - but it was replaced with a car I really wanted.

I had an Audi with a “sound generator” back in 2014 and I thought it sounded quite natural, but not the best sound. I don’t think that used the audio speakers.

15,000 miles at 30mpg with fuel costing £1.30/l = £2,950
15,000 miles at 20mpg with fuel costing £1.30/l = £4,425

That's a difference of just £1,475 which is absolutely nothing when compared to the cost of the cars and their depreciation.

Just get the E63. :thumb:

That's a difference of just £1,475 which is absolutely nothing when compared to the cost of the cars and their depreciation.

Interesting when you put it like that. Extra £27 per week😀

I was doing around 15,000 miles a year in my S204 C63 and that's worse on fuel than an E63. I figured I don't smoke and barely drink so the extra fuel cost was my addiction. I've stopped commuting since March and coronavirus so I have saved a lot of money but I'd still go back to using the C63 as I enjoyed it so much. I miss it now but on the plus side I really don't care about the consumption when I take it out for a blast.

Well said: extra fuel cost is irrelevant in the context of depreciation and cost of funding.

But then, of course, there’s the question: how do the different ownership options compare in terms of your actual cost of purchase / use / depreciation etc?

But that smile on your face! The enjoyment factor, cannot put that into money terms however hard you try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom