E53 - is it a compromise for a full fat E63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have got an E53 coupe and for me it has got more than enough performance for the road. There is of course no E63 coupe so that wasn’t an option for me.

I am not sure if the engine sound is fake or not, I hadn’t thought about it until it was mentioned on here. Either way it isn’t too obtrusive.

☺️
that’s the feeling of the sound

@OP - I suspect you already know the answer to your question and are trying to talk yourself into a car you don't really want.

It will only end in disappointment!

Listen to your inner-man maths (and the man maths in this thread).

You only get one go at this game and if you can afford it and you want it, get on with it.

I had an Audi with a “sound generator” back in 2014 and I thought it sounded quite natural, but not the best sound. I don’t think that used the audio speakers.
Our SQ7 has a speaker under the rear bumper to make noise outside the car. It sounds brilliant.

On a side note, in respect of the E53 and E43, I don't like the idea of piped, enhanced exhaust noise in the cab, which AFAIK can't be turned off.

It can't be as bad as the piped whinging from Mrs Ringway that can't be turned off.

If only I could silencer...

Our SQ7 has a speaker under the rear bumper to make noise outside the car. It sounds brilliant.
Mine was an A6 Bi TDi, and for a diesel it sounded rather good.

I found that although the car was fast, and sounded surprisingly good for a diesel, it just didin’t feel fast. Sound seems to play a bigger role in “feeling@ fast than I previously thought.

Possibly the most competent car I’ve ever owned. I respected it a lot, but it just didn’t get me very excited.

Got to agree with alot of the guys on here and go with the man maths....

Doing 20k a year I put the sensible hat on and went for the E400D over the E53 which I'm still OK with.

She's a stunning car, more than quick enough for the road, manages 40 + mpg if I play nice, even sounds good for a diesel, but... if like you I could stretch to an E63 (without being totally skint!) I know what I'd do... YOLO

Thanks guys. I kinda have a feeling I would regret it hence reaching out. Now the big question is do I wait or just go for the 63 as I like to see the new model in the flesh and have a decent test drive.

Thanks guys. I kinda have a feeling I would regret it hence reaching out. Now the big question is do I wait or just go for the 63 as I like to see the new model in the flesh and have a decent test drive.
It’s only a facelift so I can only imagine that the new model will be like the previous model but ever so slightly better.

The pre-facelift W213 is regarded by many as an excellent car - so the risk is low - you could always test drive one of those?

Mine was an A6 Bi TDi, and for a diesel it sounded rather good.

I found that although the car was fast, and sounded surprisingly good for a diesel, it just didin’t feel fast. Sound seems to play a bigger role in “feeling@ fast than I previously thought.

Possibly the most competent car I’ve ever owned. I respected it a lot, but it just didn’t get me very excited.
Snap :) I also had a BTDi and agree, they sound great. I thought it was extremely quick for a diesel mind you (think the book 0-62 was 5 seconds dead) - the best part was surprising people who never imagined an oil burning wagon could out-drag them off the lights (being Quattro doing that on a wet road was even more fun).

I think as BD suggests, I'd try one of the current E63s to get a feel for the car.

If it doesn't suit, you haven't wasted your time waiting for the facelift.

In terms of buying the car though, I'd personally wait for the facelift.

Not expecting huge changes like the W212 but for the sake of waiting a while I think I would.

I've got a 2012 E63 & drive it most days....i do a 50 mile commute & average 22-25mpg on B roads, then urban areas - i've had it two years & still love it..
I have been looking at other options: C43/C63 wagon or E53 wagon......but i can't bring myself to selling the car, it's such a fantastic alrounder & mine's 8 years old....
Go E63/E63s for the experience....you'll love it..!!

It’s only a facelift so I can only imagine that the new model will be like the previous model but ever so slightly better.

The pre-facelift W213 is regarded by many as an excellent car - so the risk is low - you could always test drive one of those?
I like the look of the face lift. I’ve never really been a fan for the horizontal Louvre running into the star. Also, knowing myself, if I test drive it I’ll most likely put a deposit down so I’m better off waiting for the model I like. Just have to hold onto the C63 longer

I think the answer to the thread's original question is "yes".

I've had the E53 estate since October, love it. In comfort mode it's an exec cruiser, in sport + mode a bundle of fun. Mid 30s in comfort mode , low 20s otherwise. The hybrid element works so well, instant acceleration, surprisingly so when you look at the speed you are suddenly doing. That is a compromise, unless you switch to sport+, you don't get the drama of the engine noise, but with it, fake or not, it sounds good with pops and crackles. Not as good as a V8, I've had a couple in the past and they were glorious but the 12mpg put me off exploring it too often....and then there is a compromise on cost to buy as the 53 was 10 months old and £24k off new. The 63 was £15k+ more. No brainer if you have the money, but happy with the choice.

I've had the E53 estate since October, love it. In comfort mode it's an exec cruiser, in sport + mode a bundle of fun. Mid 30s in comfort mode , low 20s otherwise. The hybrid element works so well, instant acceleration, surprisingly so when you look at the speed you are suddenly doing. That is a compromise, unless you switch to sport+, you don't get the drama of the engine noise, but with it, fake or not, it sounds good with pops and crackles. Not as good as a V8, I've had a couple in the past and they were glorious but the 12mpg put me off exploring it too often....and then there is a compromise on cost to buy as the 53 was 10 months old and £24k off new. The 63 was £15k+ more. No brainer if you have the money, but happy with the choice.
That’s the main reason I was considering it as I was looking to combine a E220 estate and a C63

Interesting when you put it like that. Extra £27 per week😀
Which is fine apart from the fact they dont do 63 Coupe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom