E55 Air filters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AngryDog

Car
E60 M5
I currently have 2 "Spectre" filters on my E55, but I know nothing about them and google doesn't really help.

I also have the original filter boxes and "V" for the supercharger. Which is better to use?

The filters are these ones;

Rq82OZg.jpg

Cheers.

I had Pipercross in mine and the Filter material started to collopse despite them only being in there for around 4k!

I look at it this way, Mercedes spent ££££ss developing that engine and the intake system, Why mess with it to gain what 5hp? or so if that? would you notice a 5hp loss when the engine is 500 Plus?

I fit Oe Air filters and change them every other oil change, which is every 3k.

Only my opinion of course

You'd be better of selling the aftermarket ones, and treating the old girl to a new set of Leads and Plugs if they haven't been done.

P1010010.jpg

How much nicer does that look ;)

Last edited:
It does look better, no doubt. I think I am missing some of the pipe work :(.

I was thinking about painting them

By the looks of it you have the front intake tubes, The second ones are part of the Airbox which hopefully you have.

Then the next bit along is the Y piece which goes the the throttle body.
That is Aprox £90 + vat from mb

I'd agree with Gav and put the originals on if possible.

I have a different intake system on my car but it's modified and mapped to make use of it.

My own E55 has had, OEM, K&N, piper cross, and currently IGT, however, if your just a road user with your car, OEM or K&N would do you proud.
On track though, my own car has always sounded and felt better with the Piper cross filters, but as one poster here, the things just collapse, they seem to get sucked into the intake, tearing the surround moulding, changed mine, at least 3-4 times, with very low mileage, really annoying, but currently running with IGT filters, had them on at our Spa trip, but never really got a chance to open the car up fully, as I was a total novice there, but, am at Goodwood on Saturday, with a couple of guys here, a track I know well, and will be interesting to see how these IGT perform, if not good, I will have no hesitation to reverting back to Pipercross, and just swap the filters out on a regular basis, its a potential ongoing nusiance, but at least the car will run fine when needed;).

I had pipercross in my 63 and they just collapsed. K&N worked a treat.

Ill be getting some aftermarket ones for my E55 soon as the stock paper ones are starving it of air I suspect.

(Around 600bhp)

I've got a pair of Pipercross filters in the garage. Did about 1000 miles in them before I sold the car. Still in their boxes if anybody wants the pair for £50.

Originals...

My 55 came with K&Ns and they made no difference when I reverted to paper OEM.

Waste of time and money.

I had pipercross in my 63 and they just collapsed. K&N worked a treat.

Ill be getting some aftermarket ones for my E55 soon as the stock paper ones are starving it of air I suspect.

(Around 600bhp)

When Acid at MSL mapped my E55 recently he recommended that the standard air filters should be replaced with K&N's as they were causing the inlet tubes to constrict. Needless to say I followed his advice and all is now good.

K&N`s here, I replaced them when I first got the car, checked them for the first time a few weeks ago and they are due a clean but not bad for 6 years plus motoring.

Cheers guys, I'll get the standard air boxes put back on before my trip to MSL!

I currently have 2 "Spectre" filters on my E55, but I know nothing about them and google doesn't really help.

I also have the original filter boxes and "V" for the supercharger. Which is better to use?

The filters are these ones;

Rq82OZg.jpg

Cheers.

Has a Bigger Throttle Body been put on the car? Just wondering if the intakes were changed hoping for more airflow, or for the sound.

Jimi

Sorry for the sidetrack question before. Standard filters here.

Has a Bigger Throttle Body been put on the car? Just wondering if the intakes were changed hoping for more airflow, or for the sound.

Jimi

No idea Jimi, I cannot see any receipt for one, or the filters.

I'm going to go back to the standard boxes, I just hope I don't lose the whine LOL

I just hope I don't lose the whine LOL

I doubt you will - it's normally induction sound that reduces when you drop aftermarket filters.

You only need induction sound when you have a lawnmower engine or no supercharger / turbos.

It's exhaust which brings out the whiner if the whiner in itself is not loud.

I doubt you will - it's normally induction sound that reduces when you drop aftermarket filters.

You only need induction sound when you have a lawnmower engine or no supercharger / turbos.

It's exhaust which brings out the whiner if the whiner in itself is not loud.

Are you sure thats the right way around? The stock filters muffle the whine ime,

Ive got headers, x pipe no cats and 63 boxes and have Zero whine from the charger.

But i have stock filters and intake.

Are you sure thats the right way around? The stock filters muffle the whine ime,

Ive got headers, x pipe no cats and 63 boxes and have Zero whine from the charger.

You sure you have a 55 and not a 63 or 500?

I can only go on my experience with my old E.

I never really heard it in the cabin with K&Ns and that didn't change with papers.

However, the charger was loud on the outside with either filters fitted.

With a standard exhaust, the charger was a lot quieter.

So my conclusion is from that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom