E55 amg day at msl with acid and the crew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JDMUK

Car
E55 AMG
Took the e55 to acid yesterday for a new suspension pump and to get Imran to molest my exhaust!

Bumped in to alps whilst there :) was a good day, driving in the Chevy was fun although all I did was laugh the entire time!

Ended up sounding like this though

E55 amg exhaust - YouTube

I'm happy but will be back for headers and crank pulley soon!

More nice sounding metal work made by Imran's fair hands.

Nice that mate, very nice :thumb:

Was gutted I messed seeing yours mate from what everyone said its stupid loud lol!

Was gutted I messed seeing yours mate from what everyone said its stupid loud lol!

Yes James, really stupidly loud.

I'm sure we'll catch up somewhere mate :thumb:

Can you do clip under load...?

Sounds spot to me!

Sounded good, big diff from before, good meeting you and seeing the mota

Good to meet u too alps! Hope yours went well??

Let's just say it was a looong day, all went well tho.

Sounds the nuts

Alps/JDMUK, could I ask what exhaust mods you have had done??

I also spent a Looooong car thing day as well, left home at 5.45AM got home at 10.40PM, having spent the morning at EC with Paul and Andy (thx guys), who were doing some maintenance for me on the usual W211 failings, faulty keyless door handle, failed sat nav aerial, and engine mounts, also got to meet and have a brief chat with Mat B, good to meet you Mat, hope the car is sorted sooner than later mate, then travelled down the road to EMP to have a broken exhaust bracket re welded and further discuss some of Simon1966 theories' of exhaust noise with Eldin and Simon at EMP, (hence my question), then travelled inland and spent a civiliased few hours with Alx, a beer, sandwich and coffee in a very plush setting, discussing cars, which lasted a lot longer than we both anticipated I think, but very enjoyable nethertheless, then a nightmare journey down the M23, albeit the M25 was a delight, which was a change:p

What have you had done lads?:devil:

Last edited:
I had my back boxes cut open and baffles removed, previously I fitted a secondary de cat and x pipe which isn't the best design but gives that noise...

Alps had more done so will let him fill people in :)

Shortly I'm going to have to go back and get headers and a new x pipe :)

Thx JDMUK,
When you say baffle, are you saying the insulation, or have you had the internal pipe work of the tail boxes altered, weirdly, I was discussing primarily removing the fibreglass insulation from the tail boxes with EMP today, based more so on my reading of Simon's homework and threads here and from the US forum he went into, from my reading, and appreciate its every individuals choice, it seems to me, that just removing the insulation was favoured over cutting into the internal pipework, how does that fit with what you have had done, and how do you find your car, noise, drone and performance wise??

Thx for getting back to me:thumb:

I was going to open the rear chamber and have the pipes blocked like simon etc had discussed but I wanted it as loud as I could get... So main chamber opened the u shaped pipe removed and all the wadding and filling removed leaving the 2 bottom perforated straight pipes... It sheds a huge amount of weight too!

I did the same on my last e55 and be warned without removing the centre resonator or removing secondary cats it's barely any louder than stock.... There is a difference but not
Much! Decat and removing the centre res box makes it much better but still inside the car it's no
Different to stock unless you are outside or behind the car... I get no drone either

Last edited:
I was going to open the rear chamber and have the pipes blocked like simon etc had discussed but I wanted it as loud as I could get... So main chamber opened the u shaped pipe removed and all the wadding and filling removed leaving the 2 bottom perforated straight pipes... It sheds a huge amount of weight too!

I did the same on my last e55 and be warned without removing the centre resonator or removing secondary cats it's barely any louder than stock.... There is a difference but not
Much! Decat and removing the centre res box makes it much better but still inside the car it's no
Different to stock unless you are outside or behind the car... I get no drone either

Thx again JDMUk, seems I may have to seek you out some time, perhaps Alps as well if he has also been and done something here, need to hear them/your sounds first hand.
My own car has currently, primary and secondary cats deleted, resonator removed, Kleemann headers, EMP 76MM bespoke SS system, 200cell race cats, c/w X pipe onto OEM tail boxes, the later being my current failing as I see it, noise wise, from my discussions today, the advice was forget tampering with the OEM tail boxes, just buy some C63 boxes. Well that's all well and good, and maybe good advice, think both Alps and Simon have these 63 boxes now, but they are really rare to get hold of, and not too sure of cost implications. That said, playing with the existing OEM boxes, if it goes wrong, IE, don't like what I end up with, its buying new/second hand replacements, think I will catch up with one of you in the near future:thumb:

Thx again JDMUk, seems I may have to seek you out some time, perhaps Alps as well if he has also been and done something here, need to hear them/your sounds first hand.
My own car has currently, primary and secondary cats deleted, resonator removed, Kleemann headers, EMP 76MM bespoke SS system, 200cell race cats, c/w X pipe onto OEM tail boxes, the later being my current failing as I see it, noise wise, from my discussions today, the advice was forget tampering with the OEM tail boxes, just buy some C63 boxes. Well that's all well and good, and maybe good advice, think both Alps and Simon have these 63 boxes now, but they are really rare to get hold of, and not too sure of cost implications. That said, playing with the existing OEM boxes, if it goes wrong, IE, don't like what I end up with, its buying new/second hand replacements, think I will catch up with one of you in the near future:thumb:

Hi Ricky - with all your other exhaust mods I would genuinely leave your set up as it is now. Your car is simply the nicest looking and sounding E55 around. The c63 boxes are nice and give a harder edged and much tighter sound compared to the x-pipe and cat delete but as said your system with Kleemann's and EMP's previous work its perfect as it is.

As for modding the rear boxes, as you know I looked into this in great detail and was just about to do it when some c63 ones came up. I was going to just open the small chamber as documented which I think would give a similar result in sound to the c63 boxes.

BTW - I'm not sure if anyone has ever cut open c63 boxes but I tried to have a good look inside when mine were being fitted. They are quite interesting and from what I could see were pretty much a straight through design with a chamber running parallel to the through pipe. The chamber appeared to be only open at one end.

For me personally ,the cut oem boxes are a totally different sound to the c63 boxes, too raspy.

Ricky, your car sounds fine, don't mess with it!

For me personally ,the cut oem boxes are a totally different sound to the c63 boxes, too raspy.

Ricky, your car sounds fine, don't mess with it!

Agreed - but that is when the main chamber is opened up rather than the small chamber. If the small chamber is opened and 'u' bend capped off then it effectively becomes a straight through design utilising the small chamber and still retaining the sound deadening around the perforated pipes to the tailpipes. I was discussing this with a guy in the US and he went ahead and did it and from what he said it sounded c63 like but......:dk:

Ricky

It was nice to yesterday. Im with Simon here your e55 is the nicest looking one i have seen.

Mine is/was the same exhaust setup as yours. The only difference being you have kleeman and i have PLMs

So if you were to remove the deadening it will sound similar to this

[YOUTUBE]WIHjbcXSUgU[/YOUTUBE]

EMPs response to my queries were the same - Get C63 back boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom