E55 AMG Fuel pumps now replaced...wow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E63s s213 2019, E55 2004 Silver-SOLD, E63 w212 Weistec AMG-SOLD, E55 2004-SOLD, C36 1997-SOLD
After a major disappointment at the EC Dyno day when power on the car was failing at 5500rpm, early indications was it was a fuel delivery issue.

After doing alot of digging around and most things leading me back to the fuel pumps, i pulled the seat bases up and removed the bolted covers to find this, main fuel pump cover was leaking
IMG_2193_zpsdff12fda.jpg

after removing the plug you could see the pins meltingthe plastic and thats where the fuel was getting in from. Melting was from one or both of the fuel pumps drawing too much current and heating the pins
IMG_2194_zps21221df9.jpg

So I ordered a brand new set of pumps from MB and after reading various threads and WIS docs attempted to get them in.

the procedure was tricky enough without taking photos so i only have a few, loads of pipes and wires with the added fun of petrol!

IMG_2275_zps3111337d.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_2276_zpsd547d08b.jpg

you can see the nice clean filter which looks like a teabag in the new pump
IMG_2277_zps304f1b90.jpg

You can now see the black clogged up filter in the old pump, this probably led to the death of the pump as it had to work harder to deliver the fuel
IMG_2282_zps39b80de0.jpg

the car drives totally different now, MUCH more power and freely revs up to 7K revs no problem.

dont know why MB put pumps in that had in built filters especially for a car that consumes so much fuel in the first place!

another problem solved, not a cheap one either!

Great news alps!...really pleased you got it sorted, i had a similar issue with an E39 5 series diesel i had a few years ago, had to replace the lift pump, and the sucking pump (inside the saddle tank), very messy job...

Was looking at doing this as well but it looks a PITA!

hey paul,

check the pumps first, easy to see if they are leaking or plug\wiring is melting. better things to spend the money on if they are ok.

defo a PITA to fit, but time, lots of light and a nice open place to do the work helps also a steady handy .

check the pumps first,

Check the fuel pressure first, especially on any modified car.

I'm surprised to see all the seemingly, randomly modified cars on here.

There seems to be no science, or checking applied to any of the upgrades.

hey DM,

fuel pressure dropped only on load, unless you checked on a dyno all seemed well!

most places inc the main dealer said they would never notice on any of their checks. i think a melting plug , dirty filter and also black terminals on one of the pumps after removing all point to bad pump (s), where is the lack of science in that?

I'm not really surprised people have been doing that for years (I include myself on many an occasion). In reality most people are not really pushing the boundaries so sticking to methods that have shown success by others, however I do agree I wish people would monitor in particular for safety if anything.

A data logger is relatively cheap in comparison to the mods that people fit (and much cheaper than a new engine) and they are pretty easy to fit.
At least a start is to monitor some key data from the ODB2 port but much better to fit additional sensors which again the majority can be installed fairly easily.

I monitor Exhaust Gas Temps, Fuel Pressure, Injector Duty Cycle, Air Fuel Ratio, Boost pressure all from sensors in addition to the data I receive from the ODB port such as Ignition Timing, Intake Air Temperatures, Fuel trims.

You don't have to end up with gauges everywhere either, I do have one that sits in the ashtray. My logging unit feeds wifi data to an iPod which monitors and flags if anything goes outside the parameters I have set, you can then email the data and view on a pc.

But most of all get the car to a drag strip, track day or Vmax type event and see what the result is.

hey DM,

fuel pressure dropped only on load, unless you checked on a dyno all seemed well!

most places inc the main dealer said they would never notice on any of their checks. i think a melting plug , dirty filter and also black terminals on one of the pumps after removing all point to bad pump (s), where is the lack of science in that?

I understand your comment, but knowing the fuel pressure would have alerted you a lot sooner.
There is a risk of low fuel pressure melting a piston, so worth knowing.

so what are we looking at for a set of pumps for the e55's?

Great job done Alps.

The potential for blocked fuel filters would niggle away at me, particularly if I was following a mod programme, spending lots of my hard earned.

Is there a recommended filter change schedule?

Great job done Alps.

The potential for blocked fuel filters would niggle away at me, particularly if I was following a mod programme, spending lots of my hard earned.

Is there a recommended filter change schedule?

Every 15 years IIRC.

For completeness fuel pump part numbers

2 x seals a2114710579
relay - a0025427219
pumps
a2114701794
a2114705094

Any reason you can't use an after market pump such as a Walbro or similar?

they are in tank pumps, look at the pics at the start and you can see where the issues start with leaking.

if there was no leak then you could possibly replace the inner pump and make another filter up, but that would be a long shot and probably leak afterwards!

Must be the season for fuel pumps failing, the primary pump in my Cayenne failed last week.
£360 fitted for mine feels quite reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom