E55 AMG lowered with links and new wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
Following on the from an earlier thread, this morning I had the car lowered using links and my new wheels fitted. 1.5 hours and went very smoothly. The mechanic was very pleased with how easily the links went on and how easy to adjust - we have gone for a very conservative setting to begin with - at one point we had the tyres tucked up into the wheel arches and it was too much - here are some pictures of the before during and after for those that are interested.

On the highest airmatic setting before starting:

NewwheelsMarch2010013.jpg

NewwheelsMarch2010012.jpg

There are two links at front and one at rear; here is one fo the front fitted in place of original MB link (the link is on the left):
NewwheelsMarch2010022.jpg

NewwheelsMarch2010027.jpg

Just as the ramp lowered with new wheel
NewwheelsMarch2010034.jpg

A bit of trial and error ;)
NewwheelsMarch2010036.jpg

And where we left it for now - this is the powest setting and it has three higher levels which are changed from inside the car at a touch of a button.:

DSC04974.jpg

DSC04972.jpg

Thanks to lowermyairride for the links and to my wheel and tyre supplier - details on request

Sorry I love the wheels but the front of the car in the last pics looks too low. I'd have left the ride height as is and enjoyed the look of the new wheels.

PS are you selling the turbine wheels?

looks the nuts, i agree with *** abt the front, a little too low, hows it with the rubbing?

I hear what you are saying about the front however this is on Sport II setting which is the lowest, On Sport I up it comes and on Comfort even higher. Then on stilts for the speed humpo setting :D

I am going to run it for a week and take it back next Monday if it needs tweaking.

Thank you for the kind comments, I was not sure what the reaction would be as its not for the purist :rolleyes:

Marc

I probably wouln't have lowered it that much but I can see the appeal - glad you are pleased with it :)

Will

Marc, i just think it looks lower than the rear, try and keep both looking level it will handle better and give a better stance!

Alps

Looking Good!
I notice you didn't show the rear link:devil:
I've been in there, and you need a couple of double joined pet snakes to get at it.;)
It was only just a little easier on the S Class....what fun I had doing it myself and without a lift!:rolleyes:

Looking Good!
I notice you didn't show the rear link:devil:
I've been in there, and you need a couple of double joined pet snakes to get at it.;)
It was only just a little easier on the S Class....what fun I had doing it myself and without a lift!:rolleyes:

You're not wrong ! Just for you I have a picture (you can just about see the link above all the gubbins) :-

NewwheelsMarch2010029.jpg

Nice look. It is a shame the C32 doesn't have the same automatic settings and I could think of doing the same.

Smillion, I would be intrested to how low you can lower your E55 and still readily drive it, given its remains in its sport 2 mode, do you think thats the limit as your picture. As for your pictues, the back end looks good, but as the others comments, the fronts looking a bit sorry for itself, but appreciate it can be lifted. are the tyres rubbing on the arches as its currently set,?
PS; Wheels look good!

I hear what you are saying about the front however this is on Sport II setting which is the lowest, On Sport I up it comes and on Comfort even higher. Then on stilts for the speed humpo setting :D

I am going to run it for a week and take it back next Monday if it needs tweaking.

Thank you for the kind comments, I was not sure what the reaction would be as its not for the purist :rolleyes:

Marc

Thanks for that.

I am doing a set tomorrow. He wants it as low as possible!

I like the look of that :) Nice....

Just have to remember when parking or little inclines on drives / forcourts etc as that it low...

:)

Smillion, I would be intrested to how low you can lower your E55 and still readily drive it, given its remains in its sport 2 mode, do you think thats the limit as your picture. As for your pictues, the back end looks good, but as the others comments, the fronts looking a bit sorry for itself, but appreciate it can be lifted. are the tyres rubbing on the arches as its currently set

The car could go much lower. Its just a question of getting a compromise. Thecurrent setting i have chosen and shown is on Sport II, gives a lower stance but no rubbing. As I have said, selecting Sport I will lift, and Comfort lifts again. Very practical.

Ollie, the links came with detailed instructions - PM me tomorrow if these are needed and I can scan and e-mail if needed. We found it useful to move the car backwards and forwards between adjusstments to let things settle, especially when its just come off the ramp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom