E55 AMG mainfold gasket blowing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
It sounds like there is a slight blow from one of the manifold gaskets on my car, sounds more like the drivers side but is very minor, can't really notice it at tickover then if you put your foot down while driving can hear the tick a bit and it goes away again after about 3k rpm, it sounds more like it's from the drivers side, are they common to go on E55s?, I know the part is very minor but how hard are they to replace in terms of labour?, if it's easy to fix I would do it myself but there doesn't look like there's alot of room under there.
Is there anything else it's likely to be apart from this and is there any way of checking?, thanks in advance for any help.

The drivers side is the harder of the two but still allot easier than it looks. Get some nuts from the top and some from the bottom, the two near the starter are the hardest. A few different size and shape 10mm spanners are needed, soak the nuts/studs first because they are only thin.
I was lucky that I only had one snap but was easy to get to, use genuine gaskets (they are only cheap) and new nuts. Also the gaskets fit one way which will be clear when you do it...And disconnect the battery otherwise sparks will fly WHEN you drop a spanner on the starter!

Check it's not just where the manifold connects to the down pipe first!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom