E55 AMG thoughts and question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icarus51

Car
E55 AMG 2003
Hi All,
This my first post, although I regularly read the forums. As you can see from the title I own an E55 AMG. A lovely car that brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. It has now done just shy of 160,000 miles. However recently I have had a few problems and I was wondering if this is a sign to consider getting rid of it or that they were minor hiccups.
1) The exhaust manifold on the RH bank of cylinders fractured all the way round where it joins the exhaust system and I needed a new one, cost £300 + fitting. Is this likely to happen to the LH bank? Is this a common failure on these machines?
2) I have also had the secondary air injection pump fail. I nearly fainted when the local stealership told me £447 + VAT. I sourced a new pump from Partsformercedes-benz.com for £300 inc VAT. Anyway my local mechanic replaced it together with the relay and changeover valve. The pump was seized solid, how long it had been like this I do not know, but I never got any sort of fault showing. How likely is this to happen again?
3) Finally my wife's SLK32 AMG has had to have a new chargecooler pump, I have gone down the Johnson CM 30 route. So far it is all working great. Am I right in believing that the E55 uses the same chargecooler pump as the SLK does, if so should I be looking at changing that pump? What would I need to look for to see if the pump has failed? On the wifes car it was quite easy, the supercharger just cut out and the car was gutless. Is this what would happen on the E55 and would it be just as noticeable?

I look forward to reading any comments or replies.

Cheers.

You would be losing a lot of power compared to what their usually like, 160k miles:), good to know they will carry on going.

It has now done just shy of 160,000 miles. However recently I have had a few problems and I was wondering if this is a sign to consider getting rid of it or that they were minor hiccups.

I think we all face this gamble regardless of mileage...

You can have masses of grief and be spending more money in a "but it does good MPG" E320CDI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom