E55 AMG W211 problem with suspension driving modes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Then perhaps it's not related to the suspension but another issue.
You take the car abroad often?
No never.I had one level sensor broken front left and since it was replaced at a local garage I have only 2 levels.Comfort and raised.The local garage's software shows no fault and the same at the main Mercedes dealership in Glasgow.I feel some slight difference at sport 2 but nowhere close to what I used to have.Stationery the car does not drop at all form Comfort to Sport 1 or 2.

Thank you for the documents uploaded.It describes everything.The only question mark is if this applies to E55 w211 2004 model
The W219 was based on the W211 the only differences were chassis much stiffer and the AMG suspension approx 25% stiffer. The operation of the system was the same AFAIK

No never.I had one level sensor broken front left and since it was replaced at a local garage I have only 2 levels.Comfort and raised.The local garage's software shows no fault and the same at the main Mercedes dealership in Glasgow.I feel some slight difference at sport 2 but nowhere close to what I used to have.Stationery the car does not drop at all form Comfort to Sport 1 or 2.
Was the suspension settings reset and zero position reset. Was the ride height checked and levelled front/rear and side to side? Only STAR would be able to do this completely.

The W219 was based on the W211 the only differences were chassis much stiffer and the AMG suspension approx 25% stiffer. The operation of the system was the same AFAIK
Well in that case we have our answer.I wish the mechanics knew as much as you!!

Was the suspension settings reset and zero position reset. Was the ride height checked and levelled front/rear and side to side? Only STAR would be able to do this completely.
When you go to Mercedes dealership in Glasgow you have no visual of what they do.I explained I have 2 levels and after they checked the car,their initial reply was this is how it is meant to be.I sent them the manual and the uploaded photo you see below and they said then I should have 3 levels as they said that the car should be in the same level at sport 1 and 2

Attachments

• e55_damper_settings_b2968c98c1c546f8bf100ea80cdcf09c3a6db42d.png
    e55_damper_settings_b2968c98c1c546f8bf100ea80cdcf09c3a6db42d.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 11
It seems that similar cars have different settings.There are models which drop at certain speed.Mine even stationary was droping.My car from comfort to Sport 2 had a huge difference as if I was driving a different car.Now at speeds over 100 mph is not safe for me to drive.The problem is that the Star software finds no fault.

I find that there is a difference but that is the damping not the ride height.

sport 2 is stiffer and slightly lower than the other modes.

not always obvious either.

On what basis is it presumed that Sports 2 is lower than the other settings? Is it in the manual?

Busy with work but checked the manual (page 250).

'The vehicle level is lowered by 15 mm in the sports damping program'. No mention of further lowering in sport 2 mode. So based on my memory and the manual, you only get 15 mm lowering once you are out of comfort mode.

I have a lowering control module, so I can slam my car if I ever need to haha.

Busy with work but checked the manual (page 250).

'The vehicle level is lowered by 15 mm in the sports damping program'. No mention of further lowering in sport 2 mode. So based on my memory and the manual, you only get 15 mm lowering once you are out of comfort mode.

I have a lowering control module, so I can slam my car if I ever need to haha.
It is 10 mm lower in Sport 1 and another 5mm in Sport 2 total 15 mm

I'll have a look in the manual and report back

Just tested the car.

Moving from comfort to sport 1/2... no lowering. The car raised and lowered fine with the raise button, and I have no fault codes.

I assume lowering (when switching to sport 1/2) may take place once the vehicle is in motion.

Just tested the car.

Moving from comfort to sport 1/2... no lowering. The car raised and lowered fine with the raise button, and I have no fault codes.

I assume lowering (when switching to sport 1/2) may take place once the vehicle is in motion.
In my case the car was getting lower even stationary.Were the doors closed when you were mooving to sport modes??When you are at speed and in Sport 2 mode how does your car feel??In my case it was feeling as if I was driving another car....If you dont feel a big difference it could be that your car like mine now does not get lower.I also have no fault codes and even star software finds no problems.

Yeah, doors were closed, I had the window opened.

The suspension definitely feels harsh over bumps, so I know the dampers are working (in sports 2).

On what basis is it presumed that Sports 2 is lower than the other settings? Is it in the manual?
not much in the manual, there's a lot of info on the net on this, having owned 2 x E55's for the the last 12 years its definitelylower and stiffer on sports 2

In my case the car was getting lower even stationary.Were the doors closed when you were mooving to sport modes??When you are at speed and in Sport 2 mode how does your car feel??In my case it was feeling as if I was driving another car....If you dont feel a big difference it could be that your car like mine now does not get lower.I also have no fault codes and even star software finds no problems.
are you sure there is no leak? it should not lower when stationary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom