E55 Ecu reset - Blimey !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billywhiz

Car
E55
Did the 'soft ecu reset' on the 55 on Saturday. Pulled out at the bottom of the drive, pushed the magic pedal and oh my god. Car is in untamed mode, felt like i'd hit it with a nitros button, felt like the tyres lit up - Ok so I know these ecu's are adaptive and for most of the time I drive like a nun:) but wow.

Brought the car to life properly :)

I did a gearbox reset on mine and it certainly didnt feel like a gazebo effect.

Did gearbox on mine and it made zip zero nil nada difference.

Didn't one of the mercedes engineers point out there was no software on board to actually do the resets ??

Last edited:
I suspect that Olly ( Black C55 ) knows exactly how to do it ;)

Being that he is an MB trained tech , and owns one of the best MB independants in the south of England ?

I suspect that Olly ( Black C55 ) knows exactly how to do it ;)

Being that he is an MB trained tech , and owns one of the best MB independants in the south of England ?

I'm not disputing that, but the ECU rest works a treat.

Well this is what I followed - and it 'appeared' to me to work - ok the most it probably does is change the g/box settings slightly but certainly felt a lot different.

Car is W210 E55

Note ALL the electrical must be shut off, including climate control. Don't operate anything electrical, radio-windows-dome light-etc, during the procedure.
1) Turn the Key to the "on" position (the position right before you start your engine)
2) Press and hold your gas pedal down for more than 5 seconds
3) With gas pedal still down, turn Key to "off" position (dont remove the key) and then release the gas pedal.
4) Wait at least 2 minutes for the car systems to reset.
This "soft reset" rests the tranny and ECU to original "agressive" factory defaults - since "adaptive" program was designed for economy, and not performance.

The "reset" has an affect, but it doesn't reset anything.

When the ignition is on, it's able to take inputs from sensors - one of which is the accelerator pedal position used by the drive-by-wire system in modern MBs. That input fools the car into believing you're really hammering it, and it adjusts according.

Acid test: find a quiet dual carriageway with a safe place to stop, eg layby or slip road. From a standing start (or gentle roll) accelerate at full throttle for as long as you dare. I say that as you may not be able to hold your foot down for 10 seconds - certainly unlikely in a quick car, like an E55, as you'll be doing 100mph (clock speed). Repeat for good measure. Then drive normally.

Note ALL the electrical must be shut off, including climate control. Don't operate anything electrical, radio-windows-dome light-etc, during the procedure.
1) Turn the Key to the "on" position (the position right before you start your engine)
2) Press and hold your gas pedal down for more than 5 seconds
3) With gas pedal still down, turn Key to "off" position (dont remove the key) and then release the gas pedal.
4) Wait at least 2 minutes for the car systems to reset.
This "soft reset" rests the tranny and ECU to original "agressive" factory defaults - since "adaptive" program was designed for economy, and not performance.

Factory or original settings are not aggressive, and adaptive capability is not for economy. It's simply to optimise the gearbox and it's behaviour so it anticpates what you're likely to want of it 'next'.

It does that by recording what you've wanted from it in the recent past - it takes inputs from various sensors to create a terms of reference, and then uses it to anticipate what you're likely to ask of it next. If you gun it, it will be sharp. If you amble, it will be smooth.

When it rolls off the production line - or if you genuinely erase the history using STAR - then it has an empty terms of reference, and it will fill that fairly quickly.

If you always drive like a loon, then it will also anticipate you driving like a loon next, and you'll never lose the 'aggressive factory settings'.

Last edited:
^^ I think that answers the question - thx a lot :O)

Indeed 10 seconds on flat out in the 55 will be 100 +

LOL yeah ....

There is another, fool proof way, to do a reset of ECU and gearbox.

whistling.gif

So, thos soft ECU reset dont work?
I feel like my car is slower now, than when i first bought it, 80% of my driving is on heavy traffic. I think my car is adapt to the way i normally drive. How can i make it drive aggressive again?

I have done the sneaky reset and had the throttle and gear adaptations reset in STAR there is no comparision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom