E55 GAS AMG Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't get why you'd buy an AMG if your going to convert it to gas in the first place, usually mpg isn't someones first priority when buying one of these cars.

I see no problem with it.

Thats having your cake and eating it, 30mpg and it can see off supercars while carrying the kids, dog and shopping.

Conversions are a LOT better now than several years ago.

My old boss had all manor of cars S500L, Bently's, BMW 8 series etc etc and with the bently and bmw (a v12) even though he didn't mind buying the car he would always commnet about the fuel.

You notice it when your filling it up every couple of days at £90 whereas the monthly paymnet or however they pay for them you never actually see the money.

SO imho I see nothing wrong with a LPG E55

The conversion looks very tidy.

looks well - sounds petty but its the location of the filler cap that puts me off!! it's usualy stuck on the side of the car and just looks odd>??

this one looks tidy, only thing is having to open the bonnet to refuel

I don't get why you'd buy an AMG if your going to convert it to gas in the first place, usually mpg isn't someones first priority when buying one of these cars.

I think a lot of people are looking at it like that - the car has been on eBay/Autotrader for months.

Fady

Normal AMG's have been on e-bay / piston heads for months also

The climate for second hand cars or new cars it very quite at the moment. ones that have big engines / exspensive even less so.

The fact it has been for sale for months is no indication. I'm regulary on Pistone heads and cars are on there over and over again.

Fady

Normal AMG's have been on e-bay / piston heads for months also

The climate for second hand cars or new cars it very quite at the moment. ones that have big engines / exspensive even less so.

The fact it has been for sale for months is no indication. I'm regulary on Pistone heads and cars are on there over and over again.

Agreed - but those that are desirable do eventually sell. I have been toying with the idea of such a car and there are only ever a very small handful of E55 estates on the market at any one time. You'd never expect larger engined cars to sell overnight even at the best of times, but when you study ads you do see the odd car that just never seems to go.

I agree that any car can be converted & why not pay for cheaper fuel where possible, in fact LPG's octane is 104 which is better for your engine.Lpg is fine when fitted correctly but that filler point does not appear to meet the COP 11 standards.Here are some exerts from the COP11 rules regarding the fitting of filler & tanks etc:
Tank valves, fittings and extended pipework should be housed in a gas-tight housing , unless a suitable protected roof compartment is provided.

The ventilation from the gas-tight housing or compartment shall take account of the heavier than air density of LPG vapour, and shall ensure no discharge can enter the interior of the vehicle

I can see no sealed box around that filler point to stop any gas fumes going into the engine bay ?

When you disconect from the LPG filler nozzle a small amount always bursts out when the pressure is released, into an open ,possibly warm/hot engine bay is not a great idea at all.I wonder which company fitted this ?
Also It would not exactly offer great crash protection in the event of a crash,these sytems are designed to shut off any gas escaping in an accident & this would .
The huge difference here is that in crash , taking the shut off valve which is situated in the multi valve that is on the actual Tank in the boot,the LPG gas in the pipe WILL ecape into the atmosphere. Normally the filler valve is about at most a metre (if that) from the multi-valve on the tank,in this case its the entire length of the car so quite a large volume of LPG gas will be in the line!
I am a fan of LPG ,when its fitted properly & safely.

As far as i know, the gas technology used in these systems doesnt affect performance.
Makes sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom