E55 has let me down! Scary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BQF

Car
E55 AMG 2004
Was travelling on the A102 towards the Blackwall Tunnel today, slowed down for some traffic, and the car completely cut out and couldn't be re-started. Almost rear-ended by two buffoons who weren't looking where they were going - very scary, waiting for the impact.

Anyhow, 4 hours later, I'm recovered back to MB near where I live.

Now being investigated. Very scary for the engine just to cut out like that - no warning, no stuttering, no warning lights, nothing.

I shudder to think if my missus and nipper had been in the car.

Has that sudden, unwarned failure happened to any other E-Class owners on here? I can't be sure, and of course the garage will tell me but I'm sure it was electrical, rather than a mechanical problem.

Without knowing more about the problem - it's quite possible that you've suffered a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) failure.

We had this happen on our W203, essentially once the car had warmed up the CPS fault stops the fuel supply to the engine causing the car to stall. After allowing the car to cool down it would restart.

What model E class was it if you don't mind me asking

if it was any sensor you should get a fault code. might be a fuel pump relay for example - you wouldn't get any fault codes.

sounds like crankshaft position sensor as mentioned above, happened to me on the c36 not whilst moving tho, started up after cooling down a bit

Could be CPS but they normally dont cause cut out when driving, they normally cause hot starting issues.

I don't think it will throw a code if it is the cps I had the the same problem when my whent.

Well, it still wouldn't start after 4 hours....

I think it might be an ECU issue?

i thinks Jays right about cps causing hot starting issues.

would the car turn over? could be fuel pump or associated relay if it was still turning over.

i`ll ask the obvious, have u filled her up recently? ;)

Yep I had the same CPS issues with my W203. After I had the fault confirmed, I drove to the indie to get it fixed and I can confirm that it's possible for it to cut out whilst driving as it happened to me en route. Very dangerous indeed.

Had this happen on my wife's 203. Fuel filter blocked and gunked up the fuel pump. No warning, no lights, no errors. Simply died in the outside lane of the M2. Refuse to re-start. Try seeing if you have fuel pressure.

Yep I had the same CPS issues with my W203. After I had the fault confirmed, I drove to the indie to get it fixed and I can confirm that it's possible for it to cut out whilst driving as it happened to me en route. Very dangerous indeed.

+1 - yes they can and do cut out when running if its a CPS fault. However with the CPS issue you would normally expect it to start again after cooling down, see what the dealer says after checking it out.

I go with the CPS.

My father had the same issue with his W210 and it would cut off even when driving, random at times. The fault code pointed at the CPS, replaced it and no more problems.

I'd also look at the CPS first and then look at the wiring loom to the immobiliser, that could also be a possibility.

May I ask a question? (sorry, I can't offer an answer, it's not happened in mine)

What effect did it have on the braking and steering? Did it all become non-assisted? Were you able to use any electrics (hazard lights spring to mind)?

It sounds like it was very alarming - glad you weren't shunted and hope its a quick fix.

Tim

CPS failure on my W203 caused hot starting problems at first and then cut out twice - first just after I came to rest at traffic lights, the second time at 35 mph.

May I ask a question? (sorry, I can't offer an answer, it's not happened in mine)

What effect did it have on the braking and steering? Did it all become non-assisted? Were you able to use any electrics (hazard lights spring to mind)?

It sounds like it was very alarming - glad you weren't shunted and hope its a quick fix.

Tim

Steering and brakes were unassisted once stalled. I guided off the road and on the steering became completely rigid but not on steering lock. Very unsettling.

Straight to dealer and a new CPS fixed it. Apparently it was a bugger to remove though.

I shudder to think if my missus and nipper had been in the car.

Why? What would have happened that was different?

Perhaps a nuclear explosion or meltdown...Worldwide Armageddon?

Very dangerous indeed.

Why?

Surely you just coast to a stop.

Mrs Dm once had a car cut out when in the outside lane of a motorway in very wet weather.
I don't think she felt any need to scram like a Girl or wet herself due to being scared, she just indicated, looked for a gap and moved over to the hard shoulder and came to a stop.

Why? What would have happened that was different?

Perhaps a nuclear explosion or meltdown...Worldwide Armageddon?

I had completely stopped in the fast lane when the car cut out. I then had to run across 4 lanes of extremely fast moving traffic to get behind the safety barrier. My wife has arthritis so couldn't sprint across the rush hour A102 like I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom