E55.........just a flat battery?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by AMGeed, Dec 28, 2018.

1. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    I haven't used my E55 very much recently and the journeys I have made have been pretty short. Last used the car last Monday for around a 6 mile round trip and parked up. The Battery convenience function message showed for about 500 yards, then disappeared.

This morning I had to visit the Doc's for another blood test (possible type 2 :() and the car started quickly, but I could tell the voltage was low. Again, the convenience message appeared and I drove off.
    Two miles later on reaching the Dr's surgery, the message was still there. Hmmm this hasn't ever occurred before.

Had my test and came out to find the car wouldn't even turn over. Checked the belts and they all seem in place and there were no battery warning messages beforehand.
    So I called Mrs AMG'd and when she arrived, I used the booster cables I bought a while ago and the car started like nothing was wrong. Mrs AMG'd left the car park and I got back in the car to find all sorts of red warnings, ABS, SBC, SRS,alternator kaput and reduced braking, drive slowly. I also had no heater, lights, or indicators.

The drive back wasn't fun and I have now put the battery on charge in situ. I'm hoping lack of use and short trips have just run the battery right down and the red warning messages will go once fully charged.

Am I right to feel optimistic or have I got alternator/ SBC problems waiting for me when I start the car tomorrow?

Three of the messages displayed and the reading when the battery was connected to the charger.
    6bMShUo - Imgurresized.jpg nBzdXsj - Imgur resized.jpg zjxCZDJ - Imgur resized.jpg iqH1uNs - Imgur resized.jpg

Justintyme likes this.
  2. pmcgsmurf

pmcgsmurf Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, E220 Avant. W211 (and some Imps)
    I wouldn't worry too much about this on a W211.

Had the "reduced braking" warning on my E220 last week when I was changing the rear view camera and had it in reverse etc. for a while without starting the engine.
    Left it running for a couple of hours outside and it's been OK since.

I disconnect the main battery when I'm using our big transformer heavy duty charger on it.

Justintyme and AMGeed like this.
  3. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R172 SLK 55AMG , A 210 Evolution , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Am sure you just need to buy a CTec and keep it attached when not using the car , simples

4. Gbrowncls55

Gbrowncls55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS55 AMG 06, SL350 06, 996 cab, all current. Gone : E500 W211, 2x M5s and far,far too many 911s
    Fingers crossed its ok. I had a feeling all sorts of warnings can come up if you try and jump start these cars. I prefer to disconnect before charging (I don't have a ctec which charges gently as far as I understand). But once fully charged I would disconnect the battery and leave it for 20 mins then reconnect and see whats what. It seems to perform a kind of reset. You will then need to reset the windows , roof and clock time. Two of my related experiences...
    1)My wife was getting the convenience features disabled and SRS and roll bar warning lights and command shutting down on her SL R230. For the most part a new battery seems to have solved it. 2) I was getting the battery sign with visit workshop but it turned out it was for the Aux battery under the bonnet. It had never been changed ...13 years old. A new one solved that also

AMGeed likes this.
  5. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Check if you're battery is fully charged with a volt meter. You might need to reset this light with a scanner. I had to do so on my SL55 when I replaced my convenience battery.

AMGeed likes this.
  6. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W212 E250 Sport - W211 E320 CDI Estate
    Rog, if you want a new Battery I’ll give you a new Varta 019 I got from RAC for £150 for £70? Is that any good?

AMGeed likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Cheers for the replies so far guys.
    For clarity, I had both a new Bosch S5 and Fiamm convenience battery fitted in 2015.
    I'm always getting the Battery convenience message after little use, but its the first time it stayed on for 10 mins/2 miles driving.

Abs, very kind mate, but I don't think a new battery is the problem, but if it is I'll get back to you.

Gbrowncls55, I wasn't happy about jump starting the car but took all precautions I knew to do it safely. Didn't fancy leaving it in Sainsburys car park overnight.
    Doing the reset is no problem. I had to do it before when I put on the new battery.

Smart320. I do have a Lidl brand top up charger similar to the CTek. I think I'll be putting it on once a week overnight.
    This time of year I just don't use it much being retired.

Justintyme, Smart320 and clk320x like this.
  8. toolman1954

toolman1954 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 320 CDI Avantgarde, 1997 312d Sprinter
  9. MikeInWimbledon

MikeInWimbledon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    535d SE Touring (previously S500, E500, SL350, SL500)
    I'd repeat my usual comment that a flat battery isn't necessarily a sign of a battery at the end of it's life. A "clever" battery conditioner, like the CTEK, will keep a battery in fine fettle. It's more sophisticated than a traditional battery charger or trickle charge. I say this not because I'm a tight wad, but more because it's Eco to recharge than throw an old battery away.

Batteries get run down by irregular short use in Winter, and the R230 in particular has a tendency to "weep" power. (That's not the right technical term but you get my drift). The solution is just to put a car on a charge just occasionally in the winter, or if you're leaving it unused for months.

All that said, if a battery does let you down persistently, yes, then chuck it.

10. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    If the battery is less than three years old, it’s probably still under warranty.

Possibly worth having it checked out anyway for peace of mind, worst case there’s nothing wrong with it, best case you get a new one :)

I use my E55 infrequently these days but I’d have thought that bearing in mind it started under it’s own steam to begin with, after a 10 minute run I’d expect it to start again even if it wasn’t enough to clear all those messages.

Sounds a little suspect to me, perhaps a large parasitic drain and/or charging (alternator? BCM?) fault if the battery checks out okay? :thumb:

11. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Just leave it on. If it's a smart charger , it will go through charging and discharging cycles normally.

AMGeed likes this.
  12. m2287

m2287 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    a Bosch s5 will have a 5year guarantee I believe (that’s what the 5 stands for)!

13. andy27168

andy27168 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
    Hi,
    It sounds like you have flattened the little battery up front (hence the RED warnings) there are two stages to the convenience shutdowns, it sounds like you have just experienced stage two, whereas you have only experienced stage one convenience shutdowns up to now, this I believe is what you are seeing with the delay to the convenience disabled resetting. Stage one and stage two convenience shutdowns are documented in STAR and come up as information for the BCM module when a short test is run if the car has experienced them in the time since the last time the codes were cleared.
    After the large battery starts to discharge to much the small battery gets put into circuit as well to bolster the large battery, the car then has to replace the charge in little battery as a priority once running again.
    Do make sure you charge it for around 24 hours to ensure its fully charged.
    I have bought a CTEK Battery sense (after some else on here bought one) and I cannot recommend it highly enough brilliant bit of kit, and stupidly easy to fit and use, invaluable if you have a 211 or 219 with SBC.

14. OP
    OP
    AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    ^ Cheers Andy.
    That explains a lot.
    I have the main battery charging now and will check again around lunchtime tomorrow +26hrs.
    Is it worth removing and charging the aux battery as well?

15. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    Nothing to do with the subject but type 2 is reversible with the right diet and lifestyle - even at this stage!

Vick N, clk320x and AMGeed like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    I've started already John. Got too lazy and eating too much. That is changing.

Vick N and John like this.
  17. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    OP I have similar with my W211 E320 where I don’t do drives regularly other than long distances every other weekend.

I knackered more than one battery by it discharging and me jumping the car. Often got the message about convenience features that would go off and eventually not go off for longer and longer.

I’ve replaced both batteries now and use a Ctek charger which stays plugged in 90% of the time it’s sat still. Get no issues with the car starting or errors now. These cars are very sensitive to battery issues and don’t like sitting still.

AMGeed likes this.
  18. andy27168

andy27168 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
    Have been wondering this myself Rog, as I have been having similar battery issues with the CLS, I have decided that I will in this instance as I have not set eyes on it since replacing it approx. 2 years ago, so will remove it and put the CTEK on there for a charging cycle.
    If you remove it from the car don't forget to disconnect the boot battery first before disconnecting the little battery, when refitting reconnect the little battery first, then the large battery.

AMGeed likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Looks like I have more serious problems than just a flat battery:(
    After a 24hr charge on the main battery, I had high hopes the car would start without any warning messages. No such luck.
    Within 10 seconds, I got this red warning.
    20181229_102120[1].jpg

Feeling pretty cheesed off, I went inside for a cuppa and came out to look at the aux battery. Disconnecting it (after disconnecting the neg on the main battery) I put the charger on it and it registered 0.5amp charge. In other words, it was fully charged I believe. I'd have expected the charger needle to go up to 4-5 amps same as the main battery yesterday had it been discharged. I don't have a meter to check the standing voltage but might nick Mrs AMG'd's car and go and buy one.
    For now, I have replaced the aux battery, reconnected the main battery and started the car. This is what I got.:wallbash: I'll pull the aux battery out again and put it on the Lidl battery conditioner overnight.
    20181229_104744[1].jpg 20181229_104757[1].jpg

It looks like alternator/ or faulty main battery to me? Next step, get the car on Star as soon as possible to find out for sure. I'll be ringing Startech in Poole on Monday as I can't risk a 40 mile drive to my usual indy at MBS Southampton.
    Just what I need after the expense of Xmas:(

One other thing, should it be the alternator, why do prices vary between £200 and £600 for a 180amp alternator? Gav, can you do me a deal if I need one?:D

20. Gbrowncls55

Gbrowncls55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS55 AMG 06, SL350 06, 996 cab, all current. Gone : E500 W211, 2x M5s and far,far too many 911s
    Just a thought . In my experience if a battery is practically dead it often doesn't accept a charge and so 0.5 might be what it would show. Your first warning message "battery visit workshop" in red is exactly what I got after coming back from holiday. And every morning thereafter until I changed the Aux battery.
    However if I let the car run for a minute or two with the warning up then turned it off and restarted, the warning would disappear (presumably as enough charge from the alternator moved the voltage above the trigger point.)
    I never got a "convenience features disabled" message as my main battery was fine. I notice that after charging the main battery you did not get a convenience message, but still got the battery visit workshop warning, Probably doesn't help but similar problems. Incidentally I was advised not to disconnect the main battery when replacing the Aux battery. I didn't and there was no adverse affect.