E55 k steel liners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WG M-B

Auhorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
C63 Wagon in black
Any members or other indies done this????
I'm curious if it will be ok
I have a 211 in at the moment that needs new liners. I'm not aware that the silicone aluminium liners can be refurbed so to speak
And if they could is it really worth it or should I just go with standards liners?
Obviously the aluseal is just a coating, but can it be refreshed

Cheers

Maybe this should be moved to the AMG section?

Darton make the sleeves for them if that helps.

If you use steel liners you need different rings to suit.

The original ones can be polished so long as they are still within tolerance.

Sunnen processing is usually good enough for the bores to be refurbished.

Last edited:
Are they replaceable ?

Are they replaceable ?

This is the question. I have had a quote from my local engineering shop to convert the block to steel liners. But ideally I would refurb what is originally there!
I have been quoted 225 plus vat per pot :eek:

WG M-B said:
This is the question. I have had a quote from my local engineering shop to convert the block to steel liners. But ideally I would refurb what is originally there! I have been quoted 225 plus vat per pot :eek:
so ask them to measure them to find out how deep they have to go to get them in good order an then find out if mercedes do oversized pistons to match it .
If that was a cast ion block I wouldn't have a problem to put new liners in it but being a alloy one I rather oversize the bores .

so ask them to measure them to find out how deep they have to go to get them in good order an then find out if mercedes do oversized pistons to match it .
If that was a cast ion block I wouldn't have a problem to put new liners in it but being a alloy one I rather oversize the bores .

It's not the issue. They are coated liners

WG M-B said:
It's not the issue. They are coated liners
let me contact a friend in Texas he rebuilds a lot of these and I'll ask what he normally does!

E270 Owner said:
You can fit iron liners with oversized pistons and rings its quite normal to do this for some engine re-builders. If the original bores just need polishing and are not damaged (within tolerance) then its cheaper to use Sunnen process. http://www.sunnen.com/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=11 .
my mate said the same and he do them every day!

He said do the steel liners and use weisco pistons they will come with the appropriate rings!:)

He said do the steel liners and use weisco pistons they will come with the appropriate rings!:)

When we buy liners they come with matched pistons and rings, just depends on the manufacturer as to whether we use forged or cast,
and the cost of course.

E270 Owner said:
When we buy liners they come with matched pistons and rings.
are they not pressed liners made by a machinery shop?

Various way to get it done to be honest, the most popular way is for me is to Sunnen the bores and use Mahle piston/s where necessary.

Darton liners with Mahle SLR Pistons on the E55 would be an option.

All depends on the £$£$£$£$£$£$ available.

:)

Various way to get it done to be honest, the most popular way is for me is to Sunnen the bores and use Mahle piston/s where necessary.

Darton liners with Mahle SLR Pistons on the E55 would be an option.

All depends on the £$£$£$£$£$£$ available.

:)

The car came in consuming oil. A cylinder leakage test showed no issues so we put it down to the inlet guides/ seals. On removal pots 5/6 were cracked right at the top. I'm not sure how deep, but I think from looking it really is only the coating.
The car is a 55k estate with 150 on the clock but utterly gorgeous in every way. I'm trying to weigh up wether it's worth buying and repairing.

speak to Acid @MSL, he has done a few of these and should have the contact for you.

Ulp!! I have an E55K with 136k on the clock now. Is this a common problem? I do hope not....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom