E55 lowering options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickjonesn4

Car
E55K AMG Wagon, Porsche 993 C2S, Polestar 2
Evening all

Would like to lower my car a little next year having decided to stick with 18" rims. As I see it the options are

Lowering links
Have it lowered on Star
Buy the renntech module

Any pluses/minuses with regard to ride quality and handling on the above options would be great.

I tend to drive the car in "Sport 1" mode unless carrying a heavy load.

I vaguely recall a thread with someone saying the the renntech.low module could be used for a custom suspension set up to improve the handling based on personal preference at Centre Gravity

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
Most seem to use links with success. Just consider the effects of negative camber that our cars already suffer from as standard.

Most seem to use links with success. Just consider the effects of negative camber that our cars already suffer from as standard.

Yep.

I see you can buy the old model Renntech at a really good price straight from the manufacturer in the US so tempted by that route and a set up session at CG

Links are the most cost effective option

How much is it nick ?

Depends on how much you want to spend. I had mine lowered 1" via STAR and it looks perfect IMO, dont think I would want to go any lower as I have to raise it on carpark up/down slopes.

low4.jpg

+1 to the above. I have lowering links and it takes a bit of adjustment to get them right. The rear one is a pig to get the fixed one out and new one in.
These may be an easier option than mine for adjustable links
EVOLUTION LOWERING KITS | Airmatic Lowering Links

I think Olly at PCS is an agent for the Renntech lowering module. I believe they are around £500 odd + fitting.

I'd be interested in Star lowering if I did it again.

Not all cars can be lowered on Star.

Mine couldn't but I was happy with the ride height once Sarim set it to its lowest level all round.

Approach the Renntech module people direct in the states. I was considering one and managed to negotiate a significant discount.

Bear in mind we are a couple or so years on now and the W211 is not getting any younger - so thinking about a shrinking customer base for these modules (unless they are compatible with newer stuff) might yield a further discount.

I was going to fit LLs but I couldn't be bothered in the end.

Group buy ?

I'm across the pond in NI unfortunately

John did you investigate how hard hitting was ?

Olly may be able to do a good price though ?

John did you investigate how hard hitting was ?

Do you mean the ride quality?

No. I was aiming for better handling and just that slightly lower look.

Initially, I liked the idea of dropping it on the floor when parked as they do look great slammed (look for some of Alps' pictures for what I mean).

However, after driving my E round a coned-off airfield last year and hearing feedback on the handling from the racing instructor, I didn't think it would make much difference on the handling as they are good standard.

So I considered LL for the lower look.

It comes with instructions which if followed to the letter are fine.

However, you need to be happy cutting wires IIRC.

Only take on if you are comfortable with doing that I would say...

Personally, I'd source direct from the US, possible group buy, and then get quotes to fit.

I was going to ask Acid to do mine if I went through with it.

Lowering module... You keep all suspension functions and you can make your own height adjustments :D

I have the renntech fitted by pcs on mine and have to say I think it's the best choice. There has been a couple of times (going on ramps etc) I have needed to raise it back up and just simple press of a button and its up...... Perfect

Any photos of the controller hats in the cabin ?

You can PM me with what is cost including fitting if you wish ?

I have the renntech fitted by pcs on mine and have to say I think it's the best choice. There has been a couple of times (going on ramps etc) I have needed to raise it back up and just simple press of a button and its up...... Perfect

Got mine from PCS as well.

Sometimes there is a situation where you need that extra extra height. You can then turn off the unit (for standard height) and then press the raise button.

I have relocated my controller in the ashtray so it's out of sight, cleaner look.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom