E55 or 63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Look forward to seeing some pictures. Congratulations

I'm looking for an S211 E55 if anyone is thinking of selling theirs. Looking for a well cared for car.

I'm looking for an S211 E55 if anyone is thinking of selling theirs. Looking for a well cared for car.

there is a lovely silver one in the classifieds with massive spec and proven maintenance. 👍🏾

there is a lovely silver one in the classifieds with massive spec and proven maintenance. 👍🏾
Is that octainejunkees? That one sold end of Feb on eBay classifieds. Looked to be in great condition but I missed out.

Would love to take one of the lesser cared for examples and bring it up to scratch, but a enthusiast owned car that I can keep pristine is probably more appealing to me right now.

Is that octainejunkees? That one sold end of Feb on eBay classifieds. Looked to be in great condition but I missed out.

Would love to take one of the lesser cared for examples and bring it up to scratch, but a enthusiast owned car that I can keep pristine is probably more appealing to me right now.
There are a few on eBay surprisingly.

Another with lower miles:

And this from Motor hub. They’ve got a bad reputation but, go in eyes wide open and assume no dealer service.

There are a few on eBay surprisingly.

This one sold at auction in August for a fair bit less than this was originally advertised for with the latest seller. Doesn’t look cared for.

Another with lower miles:

And this from Motor hub. They’ve got a bad reputation but, go in eyes wide open and assume no dealer service.

Again, this silver one was previously advertised in September privately and hung around for a while before being picked up by a dealer advertised for an extra £2k, and now it’s been advertised with them for another 3+ months. I spoke to the original seller and wasn’t satisfied with condition even at the lower price.

The black one interests me the most because it’s black and I like the wheels 🙂 Unfortunately the reputation of the dealer isn’t great and it looks like it might have a damp issue from the few photos there are.

Im happy to pay appropriately for an enthusiast example, but not one that’s priced high just for being low miles.

E55K S211 Estate any day!
Rock solid M113K engine, just make sure Airmatic struts & rear air springs OK or replaced, steering rack, cabling under front seats causing battery drain, look for oil leaks, suspension wear and rear wheel well/ wheel arch rust.

Very strong engine and gearbox, ensure gearbox has been serviced and regular Mobil 1 oil changes.

Too much of a gamble with head bolt/timing chain/camshaft wear engine issues with the E63 M156.

In the real world, my, E55K Wagon will annihilate any W211 E63 in a drag race!
With relatively simple mods will out-accelerate almost anything to 155mph.

So i decided against my original plan of an e55 and opted for the e63 instead. should be picking it up tomorrow all going well :)
What happened buddy , loads of advice and then you never updated with the new car , did you buy it ??

E55K S211 Estate any day!
Rock solid M113K engine, just make sure Airmatic struts & rear air springs OK or replaced, steering rack, cabling under front seats causing battery drain, look for oil leaks, suspension wear and rear wheel well/ wheel arch rust.

Very strong engine and gearbox, ensure gearbox has been serviced and regular Mobil 1 oil changes.

Too much of a gamble with head bolt/timing chain/camshaft wear engine issues with the E63 M156.

In the real world, my, E55K Wagon will annihilate any W211 E63 in a drag race!
With relatively simple mods will out-accelerate almost anything to 155mph.

🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱😴😴😴😴😴

What happened buddy , loads of advice and then you never updated with the new car , did you buy it ??
Sorry yes I bought the car, Iv replaced the cam adjuster plates and it has had the oil and filter changed. I’m planning on doing the head bolts as part of good practice along with the cam buckets and I’m going to fit a timing chain if upon inspection there’s any wear on the guides.

In the real world you wouldn’t as you would have to do some modifications to make it do so. I plan on leaving mine stock. It depends what you want from each car. I wanted the better styling and the option of anything other than silver. Most e55’s are silver where as Iv been able to pick a few colours from the e63, I also wanted the faster 7 speed box and non sbc, one gamble with the e63 is another gamble with the 55. I’d say they are on par as ones shot coming is a win on the other hand. Repair prices probably come up on par as long as you are carrying out the maintenance yourself

In the real world you wouldn’t as you would have to do some modifications to make it do so. I plan on leaving mine stock. It depends what you want from each car. I wanted the better styling and the option of anything other than silver. Most e55’s are silver where as Iv been able to pick a few colours from the e63, I also wanted the faster 7 speed box and non sbc, one gamble with the e63 is another gamble with the 55. I’d say they are on par as ones shot coming is a win on the other hand. Repair prices probably come up on par as long as you are carrying out the maintenance yourself
I regretted buying an E55 and which I had gone for an E63. My E55 is an asbolute lemon of a car and demanded a lot of maintance to get it up to a good state and still need brake system overhauled to pass through next MOT. Though I am looking forward to it becoming a future classic so....

All this bull.hit on which is the better which is the worst.

Get what variant you personally desire. With the best history and maintenance records the car has in its armour.

All issues pop up on both variants. I know because I've owned both!!!!

The E63 needs revs to perform, but drives better as has steering, gearbox and brake updates.

Nothing compares to the gut-wrenching low-down torque of my supercharged Obsidian Black E55 Wagon -torque accelerates a car, not horsepower!
The only thing I dislike is the dead feel of the SBC braking system, no wonder Mercedes scrapped it!

The E63 needs revs to perform, but drives better as has steering, gearbox and brake updates.

Nothing compares to the gut-wrenching low-down torque of my supercharged Obsidian Black E55 Wagon -torque accelerates a car, not horsepower!
The only thing I dislike is the dead feel of the SBC braking system, no wonder Mercedes scrapped it!

Agreed on many points, although I always felt the 55k could do with one more gear. Especially at the top end. The 63 has that set up perfectly for my liking.

Personally the 63 is just that more driver involved, to get the best out of it. The 55 you just plant it, and your off, which ofcourse is an amazing unit. And I for one, will never forget the performance that car prouduces. Has to be experienced. 63 is crazy also, and again, has to be experienced.

Both sound tremendous in there own way too.

Agreed on many points, although I always felt the 55k could do with one more gear. Especially at the top end. The 63 has that set up perfectly for my liking.

Personally the 63 is just that more driver involved, to get the best out of it. The 55 you just plant it, and your off, which ofcourse is an amazing unit. And I for one, will never forget the performance that car prouduces. Has to be experienced. 63 is crazy also, and again, has to be experienced.

Both sound tremendous in there own way too.

All this bull.hit on which is the better which is the worst.

Get what variant you personally desire. With the best history and maintenance records the car has in its armour.

All issues pop up on both variants. I know because I've owned both!!
Agreed, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

My previous car was a W211 E55 so I can empathise in what you are saying. It's a great engine with a lot of torque but the dreadfully slow gearbox makes it a frustrating car to drive. I loved the SBC braking but a shame about the pump timing out and needing refurbing at some point. I'd say the braking was better than on my W212 E63 Biturbo.

Have you had an LSD fitted to your E55?
It's a must IMO to have any chance of getting the power down.
I have way more torque than a 55 but can't use it until I have an LSD fitted.

Wow?

You have 775 Ft-Lbs of torque?
No wonder you can't put down the power!
LSD and drag radials are a must at the track.

My E55K estate 5-gtronic box is slow (but extremely strong)
In my dreams, I am saving up for and fitting a built Quaife LSD, 350Z Manual 6-speed box conversion, fixed 73mm pulley, more cooling mods!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom