E55 or 63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow?

You have 775 Ft-Lbs of torque?
No wonder you can't put down the power!
LSD and drag radials are a must at the track.

My E55K estate 5-gtronic box is slow (but extremely strong)
In my dreams, I am saving up for and fitting a built Quaife LSD, 350Z Manual 6-speed box conversion, fixed 73mm pulley, more cooling mods!

You'll probably find this interesting reading for modifying an M113k engine.
I thoroughly recommend MSL if you need upgrades and remaps.

You'll probably find this interesting reading for modifying an M113k engine.
I thoroughly recommend MSL if you need upgrades and remaps.

Thanks!

This is exactly what I want to read.

I have to say I didn't find the gearbox slow at all, on the 55. I just found the lack of an extra gear at the top end either cruising or when you were giving it beans. Just that small negative for my liking.

But going at it in any gear option I thought the box was perfectly fine and able.

Does make me wonder with any gearbox all this extra torque/ power going through it with mods. It's the last component owners ever upgrade or mod to except the added power. Couple pence worth thrown in😉

I've had a TCU map done by MSL for my E55. It is considerably quicker then before especially in manual mode. Its shifts down quicker in other modes when you press the throttle more. However, it can be a bit jerky but they are going to take a look at this for more. Hopefully some teething issues that they can iron out perhaps. However, no way near fast compared to modern tech so. Oh well, its still good enough especially for its time

The old five-speed is quite leisurely to change, but the 55k has so much torque it masks it. The 6.2 has the seven-speed, which is noticeably quicker, and the MCT box that the M157 biturbos have is quicker still. All three are sub-5 seconds to 60, so none of them are all that slow...

The old five-speed is quite leisurely to change, but the 55k has so much torque it masks it. The 6.2 has the seven-speed, which is noticeably quicker, and the MCT box that the M157 biturbos have is quicker still. All three are sub-5 seconds to 60, so none of them are all that slow...
Exactly. Each one quicker than the last.
I was just comparing the 5 speed in the 55 to the 7G+ in the 63 biturbo.
I imagine the 9 speed in the W213 is even quicker. That's progression.

Surely though the old E55 is getting to the stage where you shouldn't really be trying to make it 'as fast' as the new stuff. I went from E55 > RS6(C7) and it was like stepping into the future.

So much so that personally I missed the natureof the E55, that sublime feeling when you're on the crest of the torque wave. I loved the fact it was 'leisurely' in comparison to newer stuff.

Strangely enough my current car is a 997 Turbo, which is by comparison ' an E55' against the newer Turbo's.

Not discounting the E63, that tpo is superbly smooth and just feels like a different way of doing it, but the E55 is an all time classic in my book.

The M156 has the MCT box also and that is well suited to the 6.2. In fact it was one of the first engines to have the MCT was the 6.2. 😁

Would be an interesting drive if the 55k had a 6/7 speed box. For me it's just missing something at the very top.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, great choice OP for going for the Mighty 6.2 M156. It's a master piece. I'm sure you will be over the moon with it 👍😁

The M156 has the MCT box also and that is well suited to the 6.2. In fact it was one of the first engines to have the MCT was the 6.2. 😁

Would be an interesting drive if the 55k had a 6/7 speed box. For me it's just missing something at the very top.
Not in the 211 that the op got. Mct didn't come in till 212

Not in the 211 that the op got. Mct didn't come in till 212

I'm aware of this. My point was it was first launched in the SL 63 in 2008. The W212 Had the MCT late 2009.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom