E55 or E63 Engine Swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I'm interested in whether it's possible (forget the economics) to replace the power unit in my car for either an E55 or E63.

I love the car and it's a potential keeper with the right power unit.

The spec is as good (in some respects better) than the AMG's.

So, conscious it's a bit of a curved ball - over to the engine/drivetrain/electrical/fuelling technical experts - could it be done?

Anything can be done John, it's just how much you'd be willing to spend...

In the back of your mind, how much do you think the total cost would be?

I'd hazard a guess at £8k.

Anything can be done John, it's just how much you'd be willing to spend...

In the back of your mind, how much do you think the total cost would be?

I'd hazard a guess at £8k.

No idea on cost Lee - I'm thinking if it were possible I'd overcome the problem of S212's not being easy on the eye.

Also I'd not suffer the incredible depreciation of a £50K E63.

Also - if I went for an E55K I could get that Mad Max supercharger whine.

Also I've just found out you can't get keyless on S212 until the most recent ones.

Also S212 wheels aren't as nice as mine.

Also..........

Anything is do-able.

An engine will cost 5-7k alone.

Anything is do-able.

An engine will cost 5-7k alone.

Thanks Olly - I was hoping you'd appear :thumb:.

I would only do it if I'd decided the car was a long term keeper.

If the engine alone would be £5-£7K then it looks cost prohibitive - mind you, there's a 2009 E63 S211 on the bay at £30K.

Last edited:
Hello Greg - it's an interesting concept isn't it?

My baby but with 500bhp :thumb:.

I will buy you the badge John.....

I'd have to change the wing badges to Powered By Olly :D.

Last edited:
If it were £10K all in say, and its a keeper.... Then actually it doesn't sound silly,

You have the spec which you are hard to replicate in an AMG car. Everything would be new, suspension, bushes, brakes, exhaust etc etc so in affect a new car....

Then you could sell all the 'old' bits to offset the costs. Must be a few £1K's

A good E63 Estate would probably be around £25K

quick google found this

Used MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS E63K AMG ESTATE ULTIMATE ... for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1276043)

So and I'm guessing your car as it stands plus the conversion would stand you at £25k ? with all the new bits....

It actually sounds quite do-able...

PS,

I did notice a few C63's for £27K is that too little after the E

C's are just too small for my needs.

I did see that E as I've been keeping a lookout, but no keyless, no Distronic, no COMAND 2.5 etc.

It might seem daft, as I could just buy an existing S211 E63, but the point is that it would be my car - special to me.

Last edited:
I like the idea...

I'm also with you on the C, Having had the E and having one on loan its quite a bit smaller. More 'chuckable' but I like the room.

I sold that S211 E63 I had earlier in the year for £20k and that'd have done you John.

What's holding you back from buying a 5.5 Bi-Turbo? Money? You've probably got that down the back of the settee!!

What's holding you back from buying a 5.5 Bi-Turbo? Money? You've probably got that down the back of the settee!!

I'm thinking you've got the wrong John in your mind.

I'm the Brummie one that serves average pizza - remember? :D.

I'm thinking you've got the wrong John in your mind.

I'm the Brummie one that serves average pizza - remember? :D.

I found five grand and I only felt down one side of the couch! :D

And I thought you liked me until I had to endure that round thing with cheese and tomato on, I'll show you a proper Yorkshire Italian pizza when you get thesen up here. :thumb:

John, I think the idea isn't feasible. There's more to an AMG than just the engine. I think you'll miss the sense of occasion you get in a 'proper' AMG and I think it'll be very hard to resell for any worthwhile value.

John, I think the idea isn't feasible. There's more to an AMG than just the engine. I think you'll miss the sense of occasion you get in a 'proper' AMG and I think it'll be very hard to resell for any worthwhile value.

Hello Pete - it would only work if it were a keeper.

I'd have to have a complete conversion, not just the engine, but all the appropriate componentry.

I'm not sure it's do-able, but thought it would make an interesting thread.

Between Acid and Olly I'm sure the knowledge is there.

Ur nuts John just go buy the prper thing and save a major pita.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom