E55 Rust Pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mambo said:
Just had a call back, A170 is what I will be getting but it wont be till 24th October!

Did you guys have to get your own cover on the car or did they sort you out?
Sooner than mine and I was booked in about three weeks ago! :D

My dealer sorted the insurance out, no charge, didn't have to do anything, other than sign for it. Think I had an A140, don't know what I'll get next time.

Had a call from Brabus earlier.
My car is done :bannana:
They brought someone else in to inspect it and it is meant to be 100%. :rolleyes:
I asked him how much the bill for the service was and he said the workshop hadn't done a bill yet and there were a few defects.
They wanted me to pick it up by 1630 (as they close), but have not yet rung me back :confused:
Looks like I'll be in the E200K again for the weekend.
I wish they would sort their act out. :mad:

GRAV888 said:
Forgot to put that they will not be changing ANY panels, let alone the shell.
He told me they would grind out the rust, fill and spray.
Now, being a sprayer myself, I give it 6 months tops for it to re-appear. :rolleyes:

Sorry to quote myself, but I was wrong about the 6 months for rust to re-appear.
It took 7:crazy:
All 4 arches have started to bubble up and there are 2 very nast ones on the o/s/f wing at the bottom.
Pics tomorrow:mad:

:eek: Gosh..... I am surprised!!

I have always stated that where possible panels should be replaced. Surely the actual cost to Mercedes-Benz of a panel is pennies when compared to paying an authorised agent to sand blast\rub down damaged areas?

I am no chemistry expert but surely filler compound hardens through a chemical reactions? Does the filler get hot when it sets? This heat will perhaps cause slight condensation between the metal and the filler, which will start the cycle all over again?

How confident are you that it will only be the wheel arches? I am gutted for you and feel that Mercedes-Benz have a huge problem?

Good luck,
John

I'm afraid its an all to common scenario when you try to treat rust instead of replacing the panel. MY E55 had its boot lid redone, there was evidence of rust after 2 months.

And here, after 10months all 4 wheel arches have started to rust again on my brothers 99 w208

Shocking!!! Where do you go from here then G?

pammy said:
Shocking!!! Where do you go from here then G?
Brabus are going to do the arches under their own paintwork warranty scheme (3 yrs) and not bother with DCUK.
Even they couldn't understand why the wings were not changed, as that is what he reccomended in the first place.
Just waiting for a suitable slot now:rolleyes:

Here's hoping that suitable slot comes quickly:rolleyes:

pammy said:
Here's hoping that suitable slot comes quickly:rolleyes:

Yep, fingers crossed, then am going to think about px'ing both the E55 and the cabrio for an R class:devil:

GRAV888 said:
Yep, fingers crossed, then am going to think about px'ing both the E55 and the cabrio for an R class:devil:

That's if you ever get the test drive :D :D :D

pammy said:
That's if you ever get the test drive :D :D :D
hmmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:
Supposed to have a phone call this morning, but we'll wait and see.
Made me laugh when the bloke said yesterday "Sorry sir, I do hope you don't think Mercedes are messing you about":crazy:
Yeah, whatever:rolleyes:

This is all bad enough, but supposing Grav had sold the car privately just after the respray. How would the new owner have felt?

An interesting thread was started by someone who was saying how wishy washy Mercedes Enthusiast is and just how non critical they are when push comes to shove.

The E55 is an enthusiast's car. It is the flagship of the E-class range, the way Grav has been treated is deplorable. The return of the rust, unacceptable. Magazines must start showing loyalty to the customer, this is surely a front page, head-line grabbing feature?

Just as an aside.

If I was buying a new car from your dealer, I would establish a few ground rules IN WRITING. If one dealer supplies courtesy cars whenever a customers vehicle visits the dealer, then they all should.

If one dealership does not require the customer to use their insurance when driving a courtesy vehicle, then none should. Clearly service departments do not have an unlimited number of courtesy cars. For servicing I let the service department arrange a suitable date, just so they can collect our car and leave the courtesy vehicle. There has been occassions when the dealership has to rent a vehicle from Enterprise. If one dealership can do this, they all can. I am NOT charged one penny extra for this service, and I certainly was not ripped off when purchasing the vehicle.

"Sorry sir, I do hope you don't think Mercedes are messing you about"
crazy.gif

Yeah, whatever
rolleyes.gif

I would very politely have told the operator that I was being messed about

Good luck with the repair and with the eventual test drive,
John

Just caught this Greame. Rust, again?:eek: I find it hard to comprehend after all the work that was put in on the first occurance. To be honest in your position I would not know what to do as I think my patience would have gone by now and that someone would have a burnt hulk sitting on his forecourt.

Was the original rust ground back to bare metal or was it sand blasted? Grinding always leaves some rust so the cycle starts again, wheras blasting "should" remove all te rust so should work better.

Dieselman said:
Was the original rust ground back to bare metal or was it sand blasted? Grinding always leaves some rust so the cycle starts again, wheras blasting "should" remove all te rust so should work better.

There are cases where new panels might not be practical, but all along I have said those panels should never have been repaired.

The photographs Grav posted were terrible, and it makes me think the only certain repair is a replacement shell :eek: :eek: including the wings. If the engine never came out when the bay was repaired then that rust will perhaps return.

I wonder how much this car will cost Mercedes-Benz to PROPERLY put right.

John

glojo said:
There are cases where new panels might not be practical, but all along I have said those panels should never have been repaired.

I wonder how much this car will cost Mercedes-Benz to PROPERLY put right.

Sorry to hear the bad news Grav... :mad:

Glojo: You have made a very valid point about the "practicality" of replacing panels. The Sprinter cargo area is made up of two "massive" welded panels and on my vehilce both need doing on each side and therefore sand blasting/respray is the only realistic/practical option for the repair. However, I wonder how long it will be before the rust starts to re appear in the form of the painwork blistering and splitting again with rust...:mad:

In relation to the cost of rust warranty repairs I think that DC only pay the bodshop a "fixed" amount per panel regardless to the amount of labour/time spent.

Last edited:
Flash said:
The Sprinter cargo area is made up of two "massive" welded panels and on my vehilce both need doing on each side and therefore sand blasting/respray is the only realistic/practical option for the repair.

Hi Flash,
Depending on how bad the rust is, but I would like to see it ground, or cut out? These options might not be practical, but if all the rust is not removed, then it will indeed return.

I have no idea of what DaimlerChrysler pay an 'agent' to carry out warranty repairs, but these independant garages need to charge an honest fee for an honest days work. (Our dealership never used to have its own bodyshop and contracts out all its work)

I am NOT blaming any dealer

Regards
John

bad news mine is rusting away as well and have contacted mb uk milton keynes with a shitty letter. these cars should last after looking at the price of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom