e55 s211 parking brake reluctant to release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
I've noticed that if I leave the car a couple of days pulling the dash lever to disengage the parking brake doesn't work immediately and the dash exclamation mark stays on. I seem to have to creep the car backwards (parked nose in) and keep trying and it will come off after a coupe of goes. Later the same day the brake releases ok.
So any thoughts?

Try lifting the pedal with your foot whilst pulling the release lever.

Long term you might want to clean and lubricate the cable equaliser under the rear seat area.

Try lifting the pedal with your foot whilst pulling the release lever.

Long term you might want to clean and lubricate the cable equaliser under the rear seat area.

Thanks. I assume you mean the parking brake pedal not the (normal hydraulic) brake pedal. I'm sure you do.
It pinged off happily this evening and when I parked up at home I checked and it was fine so its clearly getting a bit stuck over afew days inactivity.
David

Yes, the parking brake pedal :)

My parking brake can be a little reluctant to release if the car is parked on a slight incline. On a good level surface, releases instantly every time...

Mine always did this in the winter when it was cold. Turned out to be the little pivot inside the hub where the cable joins the actuator. The pin seized up when the grease got cold.

I used to "exercise" my footbrake pedal and the release lever every so often to keep them ticking over on my last car.

I use it a lot more on my current car so not an issue.

Similarly, the only time I had reluctance was when the car was parked on a slight hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom