E55/S55 AMG Alloys, Which are Genuine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kantian1

Car
E55 AMG 2003
Hi All,

I have purchased some S55 AMG alloys for my 2003 E55 AMG from eBay, the problem is I am unsure if they are genuine or not. They have all the markings but the internal structure looks different from my old ones? See the picture. My wheel is on the right and the S55 is on the left. The tyre sizes are different and so is the offset. When I fit the front wheels the alloys are very close to the brake calliper, much closer than my old ones. Also the studs are much longer than my orginal ones. Does anyone know for certain which is genuine, if not both, maybe the design changed?

View Original Photo - PhotoBox

Picture doesnt work.

Check the part number stamped on the wheel, the width and offset and check if it matches on Mercedes AMG BMW alloy wheels & tyres, UK wheel alloys

Reason the S class alloy will be closer to the caliper is because they are not the correct offset for an e-class so you will need spacers. Tyre size for an e class will also be different. See this fitment chart: Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd | Fitting Chart Index

I take it these are the alloys you bought? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-..._tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item3f0be62f2f They are replicas. It says on them not oem and no MB part number.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I'll check the part number. No, these are not the alloys on eBay, the ones I bought look identical to the E55 AMG ones. They are no longer listed. If they are genuine, I'll probably buy 5mm Spacers, do you think this will have any an adverse effects on the performance of the car?

If they are AMG then there /will/ be an AMG logo and part number inside the wheel.
- wot npuk said too... and no, sorry the pic don't work either.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check the part number. No, these are not the alloys on eBay, the ones I bought look identical to the E55 AMG ones. They are no longer listed. If they are genuine, I'll probably buy 5mm Spacers, do you think this will have any an adverse effects on the performance of the car?

I do not know the wheel spec for your W211. Certain W210 AMG models were equipped with the 8J/9J staggered set, but the car does have certain body modifications for this such as rolled wheel arches. My E320 came factory fitted with these. Getting the offset (ET) right is the first step but the fitment may also depend on what suspension and chassis options you have.

You must have sufficient clearance, especially when steering at anything above car park speed.

Thanks for the input everyone, I found a part number on the alloys, it turns out they are for the CL55 AMG. Another quick question regarding spacers: If I buy 5mm spacers for the front, should I also get 5mm spacers for the rear?

Sorry about the picture not working.

Which size spacers you need to buy for the front and rear depends on the size, width and offset of the alloys you have purchased. What are the specs of the alloys for the front and rear assuming they are a staggered setup?

Last edited:
Hi,

Here are the specs:

Front alloy wheels: 18x8.5" ET44
Wheel part number: AMG B66031306
Additional alloy part number: A2204013402

Rear alloy wheels: 18x9" ET44
Wheel part number: AMG B66031307
Additional alloy part number: A2204013502

I was thinking if I can clear the front brake calliper with 5mm spacers, the distance between the calliper and alloys will then be the same as my originals. the problem is, will the rears require 5mm spacers to balance this front offset out?

From the fitting chart for a W211 it should be:

front: ET30 245/40/18 - 14mm spacer
rear: ET39 265/35/18 - 5mm spacer

Last edited:
These are my original wheel specs:

Front alloy wheels: 18x8" ET30
Wheel part number: AMG B66031300
Additional alloy part number: A2114012602

Rear alloy wheels: 18x9" ET39
Wheel part number: AMG B66031301
Additional alloy part number: A2114012702

There appears to only be a 5mm difference on the rear offset, but the fronts are 14mm difference. What spacers should I go for on the front? I don't really want to buy large 14mm spacers?

If it was me I would just get the right offset alloys instead of using spacers. Email Chris at alloywheelsdirect for advice on spacers. 5mm wont be enough on the front.

Hi,

Why would you not use 5mm on the front? The only thing I am concerned about is clearing the brake calliper. Can you forsee any other difficulties?

Your going to have less inner clearance than you already have. The wheel needs to be able to turn full lock without fouling the suspension etc. See Wheel Offset Calculator

Last edited:
you will have trouble fitting these as the offsets are totally different on the CL, if i were you id sell em and buy a set made for the W211

5mm spacers would not be hubcentric, which more likely than not will result in wheel wobble.

If you want to fit the wheels buy 15mm hubcentric spacers for the front.

As for the rear, the smallest hub centric spacer you will find is 10mm which is fine as you have enough clearance on the e55.

Ensure the correct bolts are used, the head seat must be correct. The cost of proper spacers and bolts will be in the region of £150.

Personally I'd sell the wheels and buy the correct ones. But the spacers Sizes above will work.

You do not want wheels that foul the arches taking a bend at speed on a bumpy road.

Imo2 - you've got the wrong wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom