E55 strut reservoir repair.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

t567wab

Car
Vito 122 Sport X
So finally I've found the leak on my rear suspension :banana:
Right side bubbling like mad,left side just about.
As few on here knows already it's almost impossible to find even reconditioned part.

I've managed to find the guy who can fabricate the nipple and weld it back in place.

My questions are:
What is the best way to release the pressure from the strut/reservoir?
Is there enough space to remove the tank without de-assembling the strut itself?
Can I use jubilee clip instead of O-ring?
Do I need STAR with that?

Any advice appreciated

P.S. Or is it silly idea altogether and I should shop around for rebuilded part?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. My biggest problem is how to release the pressure from the reservoir :(

I went through your thread (very informative) and few others but still no answer to that.

if its leaking there should be minimal pressure when the car is off, optimum way would be to use STAR to release the pressure.

t576wab,
I have read your original thread and am struggling to understand what is leaking.
I am assuming you have airmatic suspension.
Is it the air spring reservoir that is leaking or is it your shock absorber?

From your description, it sounds like there is air leaking from somewhere on the reservoir that is situated above and to the front of the rear axle.

Could you put some more information up as I have replaced all the air springs on my 211 and may be able to help?

Tony

t576wab,
I have read your original thread and am struggling to understand what is leaking.
I am assuming you have airmatic suspension.
Is it the air spring reservoir that is leaking or is it your shock absorber?

From your description, it sounds like there is air leaking from somewhere on the reservoir that is situated above and to the front of the rear axle.

Could you put some more information up as I have replaced all the air springs on my 211 and may be able to help?

Tony

Sorry for unclear description of my problem.
Both of air spring reservoirs leak. Exactly the same problem as Alps. I can see the nipple corroded under the rubber pipe.

Checked the air springs, solenoid and compressor. No leaks there.

I've tried to disconnect one today, but just not sure if it'll go between the rear axle and exhaust :dk:

Mac

Last edited:
You could let the car sink, then jack car up to remove resivoir. We remove and get the ally welded up. Jubilee clip work just fine.

When I replaced my rear air springs with Arnott ones my reservoirs became redundant.
I was going to remove them completely but they didn't seem to want to get past the rear axle, so I left them in place. I just cut the rubber hose off.

Let me know if you are able to remove them without dropping the axle.

Thanks,

Tony

When I replaced my rear air springs with Arnott ones my reservoirs became redundant.
I was going to remove them completely but they didn't seem to want to get past the rear axle, so I left them in place. I just cut the rubber hose off.

Thanks,

Tony

Yes it's a tight squeeze past handbrake cable but can be done with pipe disconnected.

Thanks,

Tony

I'm going to play with it on sunday so keep you updated how hard it's going to be ;)

Yes it's a tight squeeze past handbrake cable but can be done with pipe disconnected.

I was thinking to go with it by the exhaust hanger. Looks tight to connect the pipe back. Going to need two wrists to place it back.:doh:

See my last post here. I've just bough a refurbished part from the USA. $99 on their website. Works out about £122 including duty and postage.

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/223292-my-new-e55-3.html#post2466279

If I remember correctly you bought the last one. Well done for sourcing it :thumb:
But that gave me idea about refurbishing my ones. How hard can it be? :D

If the quality it's going to be descent, I'm going to ask the guy to fabricate a few more nipples if anyone would be interested. Its always easier to find aluminium welder than this b...y reservoir :wall bash:

If I remember correctly you bought the last one. Well done for sourcing it :thumb:
But that gave me idea about refurbishing my ones. How hard can it be? :D

If the quality it's going to be descent, I'm going to ask the guy to fabricate a few more nipples if anyone would be interested. Its always easier to find aluminium welder than this b...y reservoir :wall bash:

They have one on eBay now. Passenger side one. I would email them via website. See if it's available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191897284359

If I can get mine off fairly easily you are more than welcome to have them for the cost of postage.
If it was my car I would be tempted to fit Arnott air springs. There is no reservoir to worry about and the axle does not need dropping to fit them but both sides need doing at once.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom