E55 Sump Plug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Finally got under the beastie just now, getting it ready for an oil change tomnorrow after a 60-mile round trip. Very impressed by the gauge of the undertray - is it made from the hull of a scrapped battleship, by any chance? -but less so by how rusty it is, both top and bottom.

The sump plug moves easily, so it hasn't been untouched since the car was new, but is 13mm hex head the OE size? It seems a bit small, but as it is a steel plug in an alloy casting, I suppose it would make it more difficult for Guy the Gorilla/Greasemonkey to strip the thread.

And one further question; the light is going, so I've given up for tonight, but once I get under in decent daylight, is there anywhere in particular I should look, without further dismantling, that might give an indication of whether or not the car is a rust bucket? It looks OK to a cursory glance, but....

E55BOF

13mm is standard size for most mb sump plugs

And one other thing...

I think I might leave the undertray off until I can get round to degreasing and wire-brushing it and giving it a coat of Hammerite (unless anyone knows of a better product?). Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

Thank you, Wayne (I don't seem to have the 'Thanks' option for some reason).

And one other thing...

I think I might leave the undertray off until I can get round to degreasing and wire-brushing it and giving it a coat of Hammerite (unless anyone knows of a better product?). Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

No just don't go over speed bumps too fast!!! Ideally you would find someone to shot blast the undertray then apply primer and a stone chip product

imagejpeg

Sorry, Lipsylee, I can't open it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom