E55 Supercharger Chirp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JGR

Hi guys new to the forum and first question. Has anybody had the clutch on the supercharger changed thru warranty because of excessive chirp/squawk.

Cheers,

John................

Welcome to the forum.

This is not an uncommon problem on US forums.

IIRC MB's policy is to replace the whole supercharger rather than mess about with clutches, bearings and the like, so if you're under warranty you may be OK.

If you're not, trawl the US forums as there are so many more 55s out there the problems are better understood, and fixes shared. Superchargers which MBUSA would put in the bin have been bought back to life with a $20 bearing.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Yup have heard of this being fairly common on the SL55 too.

Just a thought - does it still have the standard pulleys?

Thanks for your replies guys, yes the pulleys are standard and soon after purchase I questioned the dealer about the chirp which was barely noticeable. The dealer replied that the chirp was an inherent symptom of the supercharger clutch and they would not change it under warranty as it would reappear on a new clutch.

The dealer did however extend the warranty for another 12 months to put my mind at rest. 12 months on the chirp has worsened and is very noticeable but does not affect the driveability of the car.

As the car is still under warranty I may try to take it back to another dealer and push for a replacement.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

John..............

P.S. on the American forums lots of people have had the supercharger assemblies replaced under warranty for the chirp but typically MB UK believe that on a £70,000 car (when new) an annoying squeal on moderate acceleration is acceptable. :crazy:

Dear John,

I have the same chirp on a 2004 September E55. I have been told by my dealer “they are all like that sir". It never has got worse so in truth though annoying, often very annoying I have not persuaded it.

I have had a new intercooler pump which dramatically changed the cars performance. You don't notice this slowly failing until it packs up and you have a new one. This is a common problem to around 30 - 40,000 miles.

Good luck at the dealer.

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Richard, my car has done approx. 39K so I'll keep an eye on the intercooler/pump, but as you said I wont know its going until its gone.

Cheers,

John...............

Unfortunately looks like complaining will get me nowhere. Scorcher love your car mate but modding is the route to all evil :devil: not to mention financial ruin. My previous car was a Mitsi Evo 6 which I got to 400+ bhp a very different car to the E55 but both have legendary engines.

Cheers John.............

Unfortunately looks like complaining will get me nowhere. Scorcher love your car mate but modding is the route to all evil :devil: not to mention financial ruin. My previous car was a Mitsi Evo 6 which I got to 400+ bhp a very different car to the E55 but both have legendary engines.

Cheers John.............

Yep, right on all counts :D You just need to change the headers, intake and exhaust and you won't even hear the chirp :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom