E55 vs E63 (or CLS?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Those who have owned both a 55k and a 6.2, if you had none and had to buy one back now, which would it be and why?

Having moved to the 6.2 M156 I think I really do miss the 5.4 SC 55K engine. The torque and supercharger whine is just addictive and I miss it!

E55 saloon all day long before a 4 seater cls! why would you? please dont say cls are better looking? there bloody ugly in my opinion and more chave, E55s are the sleepers that surprise so many so called performance cars,
Just don't leave your sandwich box on the roof, or you'll be collecting unexpected passengers wanting to go to the airport...:D

Ha Ha, That old doughnut again:rolleyes: Taxi jibe wears a bit thin after the first thousand times! cant you think of anything better than that?

Ha Ha, That old doughnut again:rolleyes: Taxi jibe wears a bit thin after the first thousand times! cant you think of anything better than that?
The E55 is an immensely capable car, awesome performance, can't fault it on anything other than it's (to the untrained eye) bland exterior, no getting away from the fact.
I chose the CLS55 over the far more easily available E55 simply on it's looks and relative rarity. It's all subjective but I do think the CLS exudes more class and refinement, it's more 'special' inside too, the deeply bucketed seats really cosset the passengers.
Each to his own but I've sat in far too many Stuttgart taxis to want to own one. I do miss my CLS55...

You see thats where we differ, especially the interior there is no contest in looks, functionality with the better layout of switches around the dash area, the cls in comparison looks primark compared to Harrods in the E55
and Stuttgart Taxi maybe but rather that than been mistaking for a pimped up drug dealer and the interior stinking of weed:D

Having moved to the 6.2 M156 I think I really do miss the 5.4 SC 55K engine. The torque and supercharger whine is just addictive and I miss it!

Dont miss mine one bit the 6.2 in my opinion feels just as quick. Even more so further up the rpm!! Come back to the exhaust note. The 6.2 blows the 55k out the water. The handling is in a different league also.

Hi think that when we are talking about 0.5 seconds to 60 or even 1 sec difference,and even mid range comparisons pound for pound performance figures you cannot beat a E55 kompressor engine even compared to todays best performance saloon cars! no history of head bolt problems, camshaft problems, i like to sleep at night not worrying about my engine blowing up and costing thousands for a rebuild! my m113 is bullit proof and is proven so! M113 engine all day long, higher the engine revs the sorter life span fact! and to be fair who rates themselves to get the the so called manufactures figures for performance??
most owners cannot drive these cars to there full potential!
and in the long term sound is one thing but engine reliability and cost of ownership comes first in my book, time will tell but id put money on that there will still be a lot more M113 engines about than m156 in 10 years time! only my opinion of course:D

I sleep just fine at night. In the real world how many m156 do you hear of going wrong. The
M157 has had serveve failure with a member on here. I would like to see also what the numbers are 10 years down the road. Will you be keeping your 55 this amount of time. All cars will last if only driven weekends or special occasions. My E63 6.2 is a daily and runs spot on. Exhaust note to me plays a massive part of a cars make up and for me the 6.2 sounds better than the 55k. I have owned a 55 for a few years.

I have said it before the 6.2 gets to much criticism on this forum. Your loss our 6.2 gain :D

It's regarded as one of the best AMG engines to ever be produced for crying out loud.

6.2 + 100 :D

You see thats where we differ, especially the interior there is no contest in looks, functionality with the better layout of switches around the dash area, the cls in comparison looks primark compared to Harrods in the E55

The CLS (both versions) interior has always been a step up in quality over the E-Class, - The CLS is one below the S-Class in terms of interior.

Call me bias, however we had a W211 in our fleet for over 7 years. & a W212 has a loan car for 2 months.

In terms of engines, its a tough one. The 55k is harsher and sounds great, however the 5.5 in my '63 gives me burbles on the overrun...

Last edited:
Dont miss mine one bit the 6.2 in my opinion feels just as quick. Even more so further up the rpm!! Come back to the exhaust note. The 6.2 blows the 55k out the water. The handling is in a different league also.
Possibly agree with some of what you say regarding handling, exhaust note, but and its a big but! yours would have cost you at least two to three times what my E55 cost me! for not very much gain in performance
HP per pound no contest,
The CLS (both versions) interior has always been a step up in quality over the E-Class, - The CLS is one below the S-Class in terms of interior.

Call me bias, however we had a W211 in our fleet for over 7 years. & a W212 has a loan car for 2 months.

In terms of engines, its a tough one. The 55k is harsher and sounds great, however the 5.5 in my '63 gives me burbles on the overrun...
The CLS is after all built on a C class platform one down from the E not up as in the S class:D PS not that im bias of course

Possibly agree with some of what you say regarding handling, exhaust note, but and its a big but! yours would have cost you at least two to three times what my E55 cost me! for not very much gain in performance
HP per pound no contest,

That can be said about many AMG performance cars even the present 63 model. It cost what it cost. For me the 6.2 is a very capable car and feels performs just as well and better than my 55. I will say it again. It gets far to much negativity on here the 6.2. Many aspects the 6.2 out performs the 55 in my experience. 75/80 mph the 6.2 sits at 2100/200 rpm. The 55k sat at 2000 rpm at 60 mph.

This 55k v 6.2 v 5.5Biturbo is getting like a p*ssing contest.
Can't we just agree they are all great engines and choose what we prefer.

I can't, because when I read someone's post about the 55k I think that's the car for me, then I read the next persons post about the 6.2 and think I need that, then someone makes a good point about the 55 again.. it's so hard!
For me, it might have to come down to the fact that I need an estate and there are just no 55k estates for sale where as there is a good choice of C63 estates.

I can't, because when I read someone's post about the 55k I think that's the car for me, then I read the next persons post about the 6.2 and think I need that, then someone makes a good point about the 55 again.. it's so hard!
For me, it might have to come down to the fact that I need an estate and there are just no 55k estates for sale where as there is a good choice of C63 estates.

Your c43 Beats em all ;0)

At the end of the day what people on here think doesn’t matter as you will be driving it! So drive both and see what you think. This forum is great for grabbing a perceived issue and then many people repeat it as gospel. Truth is all cars have issues. A E55k estate will now be an ageing car with all the issues you get never mind the engine. By this I mean problems getting a good one. Age related failures and issues. By definition a C63 will be newer. I can only call it as I see it. I have 3 of these horribly unreliable 6.2 engined cars and none of them have given me any engine related problems. People get hysterical about head bolts but what is the actual failure rate? Try both and choose what you like. I am sooooo bored with the debate here. It’s great people are really happy with the cars they have but why the need to try convincing everyone it’s the best ever created. Beats me! Good luck!

Your c43 Beats em all ;0)
That won't be going anywhere! I don't believe you can go faster for less outlay and running costs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom