E55 vs E63 (or CLS?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the end of the day what people on here think doesn’t matter as you will be driving it! So drive both and see what you think. This forum is great for grabbing a perceived issue and then many people repeat it as gospel. Truth is all cars have issues. A E55k estate will now be an ageing car with all the issues you get never mind the engine. By this I mean problems getting a good one. Age related failures and issues. By definition a C63 will be newer. I can only call it as I see it. I have 3 of these horribly unreliable 6.2 engined cars and none of them have given me any engine related problems. People get hysterical about head bolts but what is the actual failure rate? Try both and choose what you like. I am sooooo bored with the debate here. It’s great people are really happy with the cars they have but why the need to try convincing everyone it’s the best ever created. Beats me! Good luck!

Yes you are right, I can't imagine I'd be disappointed with either. The C63 seems like a simple car with no airmatic etc, which I like, and imo sounds better. The 211 is a little cheaper to buy, people say feels quicker (but I've not driven either, so don't know) plus the possibility of tuning. I'm sure I'd be happy with either. I need to wait until January to buy really anyway, but can't help looking/watching/reading/dreaming!

Bottom Line is that forced induction engines (whether turbo or supercharged) feel very different to normally aspirated engines. Some prefer the top-end rush of an NA engine, while some prefer the huge shove from low rpm that an FI engine gives. Neither are right, and neither are wrong.

And if noise is your primary decision making criteria, get yourself something powered by a Rolls Royce Spey jet engine - one of the most efficient ways to turn hydrocarbon fuel into noise ever invented ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you are right, I can't imagine I'd be disappointed with either. The C63 seems like a simple car with no airmatic etc, which I like, and imo sounds better. The 211 is a little cheaper to buy, people say feels quicker (but I've not driven either, so don't know) plus the possibility of tuning. I'm sure I'd be happy with either. I need to wait until January to buy really anyway, but can't help looking/watching/reading/dreaming!

I’m sure you wouldn’t! I loved my C63 estate. The reason I had one was no more than one blasted past my 330d sounding glorious and I was hooked! Still am. They are different sized cars so I would start about what works best for you

Ok I give in not wanting to upset fellow AMG pals! I agree with Rodger we all love our own cars and can appreciate other peoples choice personally i love the sound of a 6.3 normally aspirated getting wound up! and also know that 5.5 bi-turbos are at another level of performance! so peace to all:)

Many thanks to everyone who's taken the time to respond. It looks like the 55 is the one for me given the potential budget, but a post 04 car.

In all honesty I think I'd like the CLS but either would be nice.

As an aside to just the engine. My other half has a CLS and we often use it with two kids and stuff in the boot. It’s 95% as practical in terms of use for four people compared to the D Class (which I have one of (W211)).

The CLS is a prettier car, it’s still a stand out design and has a lot of presence. The E is understated and very smart, something about its subtlety is part of the appeal of an AMG version though. I own a CLS63 (6.2) but if I was in a position to I’d be tempted into an E55/E63 from a V8 daily car. :)

Great choice - the discerning gentleman’s car.

Don’t worry too much about the options list either - keyless handles fail more than they should and the cooled seats option is like a 90 year old asthmatic blowing on your back through a straw - although Distronic is always a good one to look for.

Great to read the 6.2 getting the respect and love it deserves :D

It is an AMG after all :thumb:

This 55k v 6.2 v 5.5Biturbo is getting like a p*ssing contest.
Can't we just agree they are all great engines and choose what we prefer.

I did. I had two 55Ks, and replaced the second (eventually) with a 5.5 Biturbo...

Don't mention the rebuild cost...:wallbash:

If I get another MB V8, it will be an m113.

Before buying my W219 CLS63 I looked at a few W211 E63s too.
Decide what options you want on the car, use that to narrow the market then pick based on condition. I went Harmon Kardon, Sunroof, Keyless Go instead of dynamic seats or rear blind.

I really liked the panoramic roof on the E Class but with my CLS (private sale) I got a folder full of history & receipts and paid about £2k less than the E Class I had my eye at a dealership.
MO spec Contis all round, front brakes inc. discs changed less than a year ago etc. and all work done at main dealerships was good enough for me to know it had been maintained regardless of cost.

Never driven a 55k car but those who have them on here clearly enjoy them too.

I think everything has pretty much been said already. The 63 sounds great - FACT! The 55K has more character and for me grin factor - FACT! Add some C63 rear boxes onto a 55K and job done on the sound side of things. I can't agree that the CLS interior is better built than the E55 though. It is a nicer looking design interior yes, but materials and fit/finish are no better. If I didn't need the practicality of an estate when I bought my 55K wagon, I would have opted for a CLS55 over an E55, just because I think it's a better looking shell. Or better still I would have gone for a CL, which does have a much better quality interior fit/finish. Of course the reality is we all know an E55K in wagon form is the best looking of the lot:D There is just something I like much more about the estate over the saloon and CLS, but of course I'm biased!!

A w211 saloon just feels like half the car is missing from a estate lol , The estates just look Right

This is why there are no estates for sale! You lot wont sell them!

I keep thinking of selling as I'm just not getting enough use out of it. Trouble is as soon as I get back in it, I just fall in love with it all over again!! And I just love the look of the old wagon, especially the rear quarter view

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom