E55 W210 exhaust mods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fireman Dan

Car
W210 E55 AMG
Just bought an E55 1998.

Any mods people suggest for the exhaust to liven them up? Or best to leave them?

Many thanks in advance

Resonator and lower cat removal, sounds awesome.

Resonator? Is this the back box or is there another box? Is the lower cat the last one?

Sorry to be a pain :0) is the exhaust 2.5"?

Resonator=middle box, the lower CATs are the ones right below the drivers feet.

Sound as. Should I leave the back box in tact?

Thanks.

Yep.

I've heard one with the back box removed. Was hit and miss really. Sounded rowdy on WOT but horrid otherwise.

You could replace it with an aftermarket back box I guess.

Leave the back box exactly as it is, the AMG item is as good probably better than any aftermarket performance option IMO.

Leave the back box exactly as it is, the AMG item is as good probably better than any aftermarket performance option IMO.

I sure will. I really appreciate your help.
Centre box and lower cats will go. Then she
Will rumble :0)

Will upload pics as we go.
I pick it up Sunday and its straight in for paint
And facelift bumper and skirts and rear lights
On Monday. :0)

Indeed Cat and resonator removal. - Back box all original

Niiice

(warm start)

[YOUTUBE]3idMXX5iowk[/YOUTUBE]

What you have got to love on that video is after the second rev and it goes all peacefull, the birds start tweeting....:rock:

I've only got the secondary cats out right now on my CLK and it definately needs a bit more noise!

I have been considering an exhaust bypass/cutout to go before my resonator and backbox so I can have stealth mode and full on chav lol.

This vid was my inspiration lol.

http://youtu.be/N3e0GXUPyeU

Last edited:
Full chav. Lol

Love that.

Big slag noise

I'm sorely tempted but I plan to sell the car (no rush, Mrs isn't due for quite some time yet) so I'm not sure if it would put buyers off!

How do you find the E55 after the E39?

On my 55 engine I have no cats at all and just the rear box. It's not mega loud, just a nice v8 noise.

I've only got the secondary cats out right now on my CLK and it definately needs a bit more noise!

I have been considering an exhaust bypass/cutout to go before my resonator and backbox so I can have stealth mode and full on chav lol.

2001 Mercedes CLK 430 Straight Piped - YouTube

Thread resurrection...

I had my back box chopped off today so all that remains is the resonator.

Burbles nicely and makes all sorts of AMG noises on WOT. Drones around 2k rpm though so looking into installing a J pipe.

http://youtu.be/N3e0GXUPyeU

I think cutouts are nice option too. I have straight pipes with just a borla muffler. I love the sound but sometimes you do need a stealth mode ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom