E55 w211 or E39 M5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rk100

Car
W215 CL65 AMG & W124 E500
Hello all

A good friend of mine is currently considering a w211 E55 or a E39 M5. I know there is likely to be a favour towards the E55 on here! But just wondering if anyone has experience of both. The
ones he is looking at have in the order of 90,000 to 100,000 miles. I don't see this as an issue provided service history is in place etc do you all agree. The speed acceleration difference between the two does not seem to be a driving factor for him. If it were me I think I would go for the E55 but at the minute I think he is favouring the E39 M5. Any opinions welcome.
Cheers

Iam a big fan of the E39 M5, I went to see a few before I got my C55, I just didn't really need the extra room. They look great, and there a bit of a sleeper like the Benz.

I don't think id be getting one over a E55 though. Its obviously going to handle better, but the interior is nicer on the Merc, and the engine is better.

Also last time I checked the M5's were commanding quite a bit for there age, you could probably get a E55 with a lot less miles and there obviously not as old as the beemer either.

Grovsie31 said:
Also last time I checked the M5's were commanding quite.

The E39 M5's do seem to be commanding quite a bit - not sure if some are seeing them as future collectables?

I was considering e39 M5 2 years ago when i was changing from my W211 E320CDI and opted for CLS55 instead. I drove 4 or 5 m5s they are all properly lived in cars. I didnt feel very specially driving M5 compared to my remaped 320cdi so i went with CLS purely because the V8 sounds and drives much better than dated M5. interior and features make it seem very old now compared to W211s

I would drive both and then make a decision. 2 years ago a face lift M5 with single owner from new was going at 9K with only 96K on clock. i think they hold their value better than the E55 would which is why i went with CLS instead :)

E39 M5 all day long for me. I've owned one and during my time of ownership a good friend of mine had a nice E55. As a drivers car the E55 wasn't a patch on the m5, and that was my mates oppinion.

Weather anyone thinks the E39 M5 is going to be collectable is another thing. I think theye are. They're already going up in value of a good example and I believe they will continue to be sort after.

To give u an example of exactly how good the E39 M5 really is. If it wasn't for the fact they're a little dated I would have one over my c63. Yes the c63 looks miles better and it's faster but if you want a car that's powerful and fun to drive, for me the M5 wins. And I would love to own another one in the future to put away as a weekend toy.

I had an E39 M5, sold it to get the E60 and hated that. So went back to the E39 and was very happy.

Then, two years ago I decided I wanted more power and an auto. The decision was simple it had to be the W211 E55 and I have loved every minute of ownership since.

I don't think a comparison can be fairly made. The E39 is a laugh and manual but always felt underpowered to me. It drives awesome and is a great car but they are showing their age more so than the W211 in my opinion.

The W211 in comparison is silly quick and delivers the power in such a lazy way. The auto I find good and suits the type of driving I now want to do.

Transmision should be the key factor here imo...

Also, the E39 M5s contemporary here is surely the W210 E55, against which im sure its the superior car (and i own a w210 E55!)....

But here i suspect the case for comparison is (similar?) current values...The W211 will feel newer and be way faster and age wise will be more of a bargain...

Either way, both proper machines...:thumb:

I like to pick up my old copies of EVO and read the old reviews (getting old, always looking back at the past and all that...)

Issue 110, Nov 2007 Greatest Ever M-car is what I am reading coincidentially. Of the 5 series M, the optimal sweet point is considered the E39 M5, even compared to the E60 and M6. This is based on chassis balance, involvement etc. the usual EVO stuff.

They do seem to do these tests pretty thoroughly and tend to get it right. Those cars then tend to become classics of the future. This may partly explain why these car are holding their value.

I had both.
I loved both
If I had the cash, I'd buy another m5 and keep it. They are getting old now and the paintwork will start to go soon.
Thing is mine was an approved bow, yet I still spent 2-3k on maintenance per year outside of services.
The merc is different or I have been lucky so far. It has been expensive to service but otherwise good.
I keep on thinking about selling it, but it's so good, and so fast.
My recommendation : try an e55, then the m5. Then the e55 again.
I think you'll take the merc.
Good luck.

I have owned both and am now on my second E55...... M5 is fun but the merc ticks so many boxes better for me and I love the power feeling in the Amg that I don't think you get so much of in the m5!.... And maybe I'm getting lazy but love the auto!:doh:

Thanks guys for all the comments. Some interesting comments and valuable opinions.

Manual - Alpina 3.3
Auto - Alpina V8
and you can get estates in both (although there are only 13 v8 Tourings)

I hope so! I have an s211 and the alpina v8 touring slipped through my fingers.
I do have an extra 110bhp mind :)

I have a 2004 w211 E55k with 99k on the clock.

I've not driven the Beemer so can't compare but the 55k is legendary for me. It just delivers every time and even with this sort of mileage it is rock solid and dependable. It still delivers a big smile even just thinking about driving it. Bodywork is holding out well and the interior is almost like new. I drove mine as a daily for over two years and it never let me down.

Just check the history and with fsh from mb or a decent Indy you will be good to go.

I'm based in Ireland and paying 2000€/ year road tax compared to 300£ before I bought it over from Blighty and it is still worth it.

At this sort of mileage the air suspension could be a problem for you. Mine went just after I bought it with 67k on the clock and that is an expensive bill so make sure you have a contingency fund or check to see if it has been done already. I was considering the cl55 as well but heard about lots of electrical gremlins on those so I went for the E. Electrics was a bit of a concern as there is lots to go wrong..... But I've had no problems with any of it at all. Everything is still working as it should.

The E55k does not disappoint that is all I can say.

Different generations so maybe unfair comparison?

I owned an E55 W210, and spent a lot of time comparing it to E39's owned by friends back in 2000.

First reaction is that the E39 is the same generation as the W210, not the W211. The tech and cosmetics moved on a lot in eight years.

For a fair technical comparison it's either W211 versus E60, or E39 versus W210.

But, having said that, the E39 was such a fabulous car that it does stand out as a drop dead gorgeous driver's car.

However.... It will be a nightmare to find a 15 year old rust-free E39 in good condition, with reasonable mileage, a decent service history, and a series of owners with a responsible attitude to spending the money which needs to be spent.

And it will be WAY easier to find a W211 E55 with a reasonable mileage, that has been cherished, and garaged, by reasonable owners, with reasonably deep pockets.

For a driver on his/her own, both cars are a bit too big: their smaller brethren make more sense. If you need the extra seats because of family or work, then that might be a reason to actually push you towards the much more reliable, much more modern, much cheaper to run W211.

But if people made rational decisions about cars, we'd all be driving Golfs or 320d SE tourings.

Last edited:
If you can find an E39 M5 in good condition, I suggest you buy it. Phenomenal and 100% appreciating classic for the future.

I owned an E55 W210, and spent a lot of time comparing it to E39's owned by friends back in 2000.

First reaction is that the E39 is the same generation as the W210, not the W211. The tech and cosmetics moved on a lot in eight years.

For a fair technical comparison it's either W211 versus E60, or E39 versus W210.

But, having said that, the E39 was such a fabulous car that it does stand out as a drop dead gorgeous driver's car.

However.... It will be a nightmare to find a 15 year old rust-free E39 in good condition, with reasonable mileage, a decent service history, and a series of owners with a responsible attitude to spending the money which needs to be spent.

And it will be WAY easier to find a W211 E55 with a reasonable mileage, that has been cherished, and garaged, by reasonable owners, with reasonably deep pockets.

For a driver on his/her own, both cars are a bit too big: their smaller brethren make more sense. If you need the extra seats because of family or work, then that might be a reason to actually push you towards the much more reliable, much more modern, much cheaper to run W211.

But if people made rational decisions about cars, we'd all be driving Golfs or 320d SE tourings.

Thing is, they are similar money to buy, so you can compare them, otherwise I would agree with you.

Other issue with the E39 is they all rust and every single one bar a few very late 03s will have / had rust issues.

I'm pretty sure most W211 e55s you would not expect or see any rust on them.

My old E39 M5 had several trips to my bodyshop to get rust dealt with. It was a never ending battle as mist classic car enthusiasts will understand.

That said it's no random event my profile pic is my old M5, it truly does have a special place in my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom