E55 w211 or E39 M5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sure the e39 m5 was rival for w210 e55 amg,, and the e60 m5 was rival for w211 e55 amg kompressor,,,, and I would take my w211 e55 amg any day,, so much more power to get from that supercharged beast,,,,, bmw are normally aspirated engine bit limited,,, my friend is selling his m5 to join the w211 amg club!!!

E55K all day long, only reason you'd go for the M5 would be some sort of nostalgia.

I'm sure the e39 m5 was rival for w210 e55 amg,, and the e60 m5 was rival for w211 e55 amg kompressor,,,, and I would take my w211 e55 amg any day,, so much more power to get from that supercharged beast,,,,, bmw are normally aspirated engine bit limited,,, my friend is selling his m5 to join the w211 amg club!!!

A E60 M5 has 500bhp. The V10 is pretty special, but it needs working harder than the 55k engine obviously.

briefly had a E39 M5 , and it is the better drivers car , corners handles superbly for a big car , my E55k didnt have the same feel , but felt quicker in a straight line. If i had around £8k to £10k to spend now , i would go for the M5 , prices are going through the roof ,where as the E55k's are still dropping a little in price.

Unfair comparison E39 to W211. Should be E39 to W210 and the E39 wins in every way.

Worryingly, the E39, stock for stock isn't a million miles off the W211 either. Yes the W211 has that hammerhead torque and brings drama in such a barmy manner, but the E39 is considerably more balanced to drive, has fantastic throttle response and let's face it...it's got a proper manual transmission.

With either of the E39 or the W211, you'll be winning at life tbh. Both amazing cars. Just pick the one that tickles your fancy more over the other and you won't go wrong either way.

Unfair comparison E39 to W211. Should be E39 to W210 and the E39 wins in every way.

Worryingly, the E39, stock for stock isn't a million miles off the W211 either. Yes the W211 has that hammerhead torque and brings drama in such a barmy manner, but the E39 is considerably more balanced to drive, has fantastic throttle response and let's face it...it's got a proper manual transmission.

With either of the E39 or the W211, you'll be winning at life tbh. Both amazing cars. Just pick the one that tickles your fancy more over the other and you won't go wrong either way.

Funny enough I've dragged race a few of them in my 210 and they got hammered up to 100mph...
The 211 would destroy one of them in a blink!lol

Last edited:
I would personally pick a well sorted 210 55 over the E39 M5 - the m5 is allot heavier than the 210 so the extra 40hp isn't anything to shout about.

W211 55 shouldn't even be compared different league.

The only M5 I like is the V10 one, really nice engine, ruined by the SMG box though!

E55k all the way, takes a couple of mods and you're tapping the 1/4mile late 11s early 12s

The E39 M5 was the last of the true drivers M5.... and thus will go on to be a classic and appreciating asset.... Prices of E28 m5's are proof of that... E34 M5's are too much of a moneypit to go the same way before the E39...

Last edited:
C36fan, was it you that I had a play with on the M20, the Saturday before last, in my W210 E55?:thumb:

If is was driving my wagon maybe!lol
Me and atilio was heading Nottingham last Saturday for the West Midlands meet.

If is was driving my wagon maybe!lol
Me and atilio was heading Nottingham last Saturday for the West Midlands meet.

Oh ok, i just edited my post as i was unsure weather it was you and had a change of heart to ask but you was too quick lol....

Oh ok, i just edited my post as i was unsure weather it was you and had a change of heart to ask but you was too quick lol....

That's the benefits of driving an AMG !lol

That's the benefits of driving an AMG !lol

If it was a beemer would have been broken!lol

Funny enough I've dragged race a few of them in my 210 and they got hammered up to 100mph...
The 211 would destroy one of them in a blink!lol

Agree anyone who think an E39 would be anywhere near a W211 simply has not driven them both.

Dee-124CAB said:
The E39 M5 was the last of the true drivers M5.... and thus will go on to be a classic and appreciating asset.... Prices of E28 m5's are proof of that... E34 M5's are too much of a moneypit to go the same way before the E39...

You call a 1900kg car a drivers car just because it has a manual box? Lol

I had plenty of good times & fun in my E60 M5 V10. Definately a drivers car without doubt. Better or worse than my E55k? Neither....very different cars. Both are quite phenomenal pieces of kit & I'd be happy with both in my garage.

I had plenty of good times & fun in my E60 M5 V10. Definately a drivers car without doubt. Better or worse than my E55k? Neither....very different cars. Both are quite phenomenal pieces of kit & I'd be happy with both in my garage.

That's a nice thought. Noughties fast fleet. Assemble a collection of the last analogue fast cars...

I seemed to be one of only a few that really liked the E60 shape. I actually thought the ride was good but the transmission forced me to bail back into an E39.

Only less reliable transmission I have experienced was on a S6 I had that decided it only wanted to go forward on a regular basis. Clutch packs made out of chocolates.

E39 M5. I owned a facelift car a few years back and regrettably sold it. Haven't driven the E55 but I can imagine the engine will be a sledgehammer but will be let down by the transmission. Will feel dated and slow. The chassis on the M5 is a peach too. They will also appreciate it value.. Get a facelift, Freshen the bushes and dampers if needed. Lower on some eibach Spring and keep the body rust free and u really can't go wrong.

I can only compare it to my facelift C63. Although the merc is faster the M5 feels more balanced, easier to drive and still very quick. It's subtle and classy too. C63 is an amazing car but the image is tarnished somewhat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom