E55 W211 Rear shock leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
CL1210:

Boge and Sachs are both brands of ZF and are quality parts.

I would recommend using ZF's online catalog (Webcat 3) : https://webcat.zf.com/
to look up your particular car ( It looks like Sachs 312 566 is the shock for W211 E350s with standard suspension ).

One further caveat, I get my Sachs parts direct from Germany as some parts I have acquired from the UK sales rights holder to the Sachs name don't seem to have the same level of finish as those obtained direct.

My last Sachs purchase, 2 rear shocks for my E46 came from Best Auto Parts Store: cheap Car Parts buy direct online, Car Spares Shop which is a website for Autodoc Gmbh in Berlin. They are showing 312 566 at £43.10 each plus delivery which is usually around £8 for 6-7 days.

Last edited:
Codger49:

Thank you for the helpful info you have supplied me with here. My apologies for taking long to reply, I was away on holiday juts got back and I need to get her ready and back on the road and riding as she should. I take it what's in my car now are Mercedes own(Sachs as what others on here have said) makes sense I stick with them. I will order them next week for the sitenyou have provided me and am sure I will be able to replace them myself. I was juts wondering as people were talking about different ride feel etc...thank you once again.

My apologies if this is in the wrong thread.
As you all know i have been having a rear issue with my W211 for quite some time now. Right so i normally get a dud -dud -dud (kind of noise) when i go through uneven road surface or over speed humps. the noise is from the rear left (passenger side) of the car. Its been up the ramps to check nothing obvious i can see to be the cause. The car rides kinda weird in the rear suspension i.e. not comfortable and very unstable.
The following has been done since the discovery of the noise 6-7 months ago:
*Drivers side rear spring broken (Replaced with stock from dealer both L&R)
*Left rear shock slight misting from top (Replaced both L&R with Bilstein B4 bought from a site in Germany recommended by another forum member Codger49) the shocks were A1.
*Last resort was to replace the all 4 rear sub frame bushes after searching the forum (Got them from dealer, though most indys said they hardly go wrong but i still got them replaced. And to be fair the ones on the car were still solid no signs of wear or tear, but i got them replaced anyway in a hope that the car will change or ride better.

While on the ramps the cars rear suspension was checked (allegedly).

To my surprise the noise is still there and the car is unstable on the rear suspension you can feel it when go over uneven road surface or small potholes or even corners at certain speeds.

*The rear tyres are Good Year Eagle F1 not run flats (255/35/18) which i changed from Pirelli P-Zero (245/45/18)

*Fronts have always been (245/40/18)

I have mentioned the tyre sizes on here as am so confused i dont know what to do now, am not enjoying this car anymore as i used to. Surely after replacing all these the car should feel really nice just like out of a show room kind of.

Please anyone here help me on this one please. what am i missing?

Probably worth starting a new thread with your last post in it.

All the rear arms should be checked as they all have bushes. have you checked the spare tyre is secured as this could make the noise?

Driving the 55 on Saturday I noticed handling was pretty shaky over any kind of bumps.

got home and parked up but noticed a little oil patch near the rear drivers wheel, the little patch grew to a pool of oil in an hour.

after getting underneath it was clear the rear drivers shock had blown its seal and was leaking oil, the car was bouncing all over the place on the air spring only.

the retail price for the each rear shock is £380 :eek: and recommended to replace both as any other shocks.

got a 30% discount from my usual parts guys and they will be with me for Wednesday.

will write up the fitting depending upon time and stress factor as ill do these myself.
Yes the parts are so expensive

My apologies if this is in the wrong thread.
As you all know i have been having a rear issue with my W211 for quite some time now. Right so i normally get a dud -dud -dud (kind of noise) when i go through uneven road surface or over speed humps. the noise is from the rear left (passenger side) of the car. Its been up the ramps to check nothing obvious i can see to be the cause. The car rides kinda weird in the rear suspension i.e. not comfortable and very unstable.
The following has been done since the discovery of the noise 6-7 months ago:
*Drivers side rear spring broken (Replaced with stock from dealer both L&R)
*Left rear shock slight misting from top (Replaced both L&R with Bilstein B4 bought from a site in Germany recommended by another forum member Codger49) the shocks were A1.
*Last resort was to replace the all 4 rear sub frame bushes after searching the forum (Got them from dealer, though most indys said they hardly go wrong but i still got them replaced. And to be fair the ones on the car were still solid no signs of wear or tear, but i got them replaced anyway in a hope that the car will change or ride better.

While on the ramps the cars rear suspension was checked (allegedly).

To my surprise the noise is still there and the car is unstable on the rear suspension you can feel it when go over uneven road surface or small potholes or even corners at certain speeds.

*The rear tyres are Good Year Eagle F1 not run flats (255/35/18) which i changed from Pirelli P-Zero (245/45/18)

*Fronts have always been (245/40/18)

I have mentioned the tyre sizes on here as am so confused i dont know what to do now, am not enjoying this car anymore as i used to. Surely after replacing all these the car should feel really nice just like out of a show room kind of.

Please anyone here help me on this one please. what am i missing?
Is there any rear stabilizer bar on the car?

Can you not get hold of aftermarket shocks for this car? surely you will save a fortune.

buying OEM shocks from bilstien was working out to more! negotiate a good discount with your mb parts dept and works out cheaper.

this was a few years back now, parts are more expensive in general and a lot harder to come by.

Can you not get hold of aftermarket shocks for this car? surely you will save a fortune.
Unfortunately aftermarket shock absorbers for airmatic cars are hit and miss …mostly miss. Stick to OEM, definitely worth any extra cost.

Try rockauto in the states, I’ve recently bought and fitted bilstein front struts for my E55, good price and surprising quick shipping. You pay shipping and vat at source so won’t get stung for import duty. You do pay a smallish amount for Sterling exchange, but I still saved a fair bit.

Driving the 55 on Saturday I noticed handling was pretty shaky over any kind of bumps.

got home and parked up but noticed a little oil patch near the rear drivers wheel, the little patch grew to a pool of oil in an hour.

after getting underneath it was clear the rear drivers shock had blown its seal and was leaking oil, the car was bouncing all over the place on the air spring only.

the retail price for the each rear shock is £380 :eek: and recommended to replace both as any other shocks.

got a 30% discount from my usual parts guys and they will be with me for Wednesday.

will write up the fitting depending upon time and stress factor as ill do these myself.
Hi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom