E55 Weistec with Eurocharged map

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shame they are not on hear to give us some updates. But it would be good see it at one of our GTG's.

Cheers

Don't worry the SL55 Weistec will be at our Dyno day :D

You need to take a lot of things in to consideration when embarking on a project like this.

Lol, I only like the idea of it.

:p

How much does he want for the SC pulley?

:D

Some of you will know first hand just how conservative our dyno is :wallbash: (no 55 has ever gone over 600bhp on our dyno) so these numbers are even more impressive particularly the way the torque holds through most of the rev range.

I take it the Dyno has been properly calibrated now Paul as you said last time I was down the settings were incorrect for the 55's hence the lower than normal readings?

I take it the Dyno has been properly calibrated now Paul as you said last time I was down the settings were incorrect for the 55's hence the lower than normal readings?

Still having issues with 55's here is the dyno run we did on the same car a couple of weeks ago. This was with SC Pulley, Carbonio Intake, 82mm TB, 550cc Injectors, Headers, split cooling, sports cats, full custom exhaust and belt wrap. At SRR it had just put down over 600bhp.

savman%40ec-albums-dyno-graphs-picture8034-e55-eurocharged-sc-pulley-custom-map.jpg

I'll have a run down to SRR and meet up when you get time next month Paul, would be interesting :)

I would offer up, that there's a lot more to come here from the further mapping, let alone any other tweeks and bolt on's, :thumb: look forward to reading more on this car.

Looks superb mate! No problem in helping out to schedule. Always help where possible :D

Car is back with us for its next steps

Killer Chiller
82mm TB
Modified air intake

Hopefully we will get a chance to dyno it before it goes to stage 3 as the owner threw us a curve ball this morning decided the heads were to be done now so we need to pull the whole lot off to get at the heads and cams then its time for some porting, grinding and polishing.

Sounds good! Any point on the heads without doing pistons and building a proper short block though?

Be interesting to know your thoughts on Killer Chiller. Got one sat on the shelf here. Seen the results in USA of course.

Sounds good! Any point on the heads without doing pistons and building a proper short block though?

Be interesting to know your thoughts on Killer Chiller. Got one sat on the shelf here. Seen the results in USA of course.

Main thing we are looking for with Killer Chiller is the recovery rate.

The heads should really help with the increased flow of the supercharger but only time will tell.

There are two different designs that can be incorporated into i presume what your using the Kincaid KC system.

Killer Chiller the Active Intercooler solution for OEM* and after maket intercooler systems.

One could be the straight through design, the other fitted with a bypass.

ginger55k-albums-e55-picture8092-advanced-kc-system.jpg

The first diagram shows the general layout for a normal KC system, what this design shows is that if the ambient air temperature is above the temperature of the water returning to the Intercooler Heat Exchanger then the IHE can work in reverse heating further the water prior to entry to the KC unit making it less efficient.

Do we need to by-pass it?

Our location in northern europe we do not see high ambient air temperatures as they do in hotter climates, and because its a straight through design much simpler to set up.

The second diagram is really Olly's working design but I added what i thought may be a way to further improve the original design by utilising a by-pass vv to the IHE and fitting a better cold liquid HE fitted in the tank in place of the coil.

ginger55k-albums-e55-picture8093-ollies-kc-system-intercooler-bypass.jpg

At the moment Olly's design incorporates the cold liquid circuit going through a coil fitted inside the tank, at present there are no digital temperature gauges or a by-pass in place but it gives you an idea of our set-up.

Do i need it?

The short answer at the moment no.

Why?

If i was doing the drag strip then yes, having lots of icy cold water running through the Intercooler and by-passing the IHE keeping the cooling water as cold as possible would be the best way to achieve this, the same could be said of a track car, but daily driving??? maybe too extreme.

I think its good enough without the by-pass being fitted, its also critical to set up and test the cooling water flow rates, having a by-pass could significantly change the original design characteristics and you end up making it worse.

The Weistec SC design greatly improves on the weakness of the original SC intercooler, its a better Heat Exchanger and improves its design location to minimise heat soak from the engine.

So drag strip, track or daily drive really does need to be decided prior to your design.

Hope this helps.

Still undecided on the route we will take will check the car with a couple of options to see what's the best result. One of the biggest challenges particularly with the car having so many modifications was finding somewhere to put it. Finally decided to put in place of the secondary air pump which means that the Heat Exchanger can stay if its of benefit. The tie wrap was to hold it in place while we refitted the bumper and lights to check for clearance :D

1544370_1439712039606387_7176985408665829896_n.jpg

Last edited:
The car looking a little sorry for itself while we worked out how to route FOUR 28mm cooling pipes

Sorry about the bad picture but Sun was shining in Watford today

10177531_1439714766272781_1633246488855698535_n.jpg

I will be very interested in the difference in recovery temperatures with the new fit, my gut feeling utilising Olly's tank is that your coolant temps will remain low and your recovery temps will be an even faster recovery than you have already witnessed.

The KC element can be looked at in 2 ways either a smaller reservoir reducing the amount of volume of water increases the efficiency of the KC unit, however as you already have the tank sorted with a larger volume of water you might not get really low temps, but still much lower than before, but the added advantage is sustainability of always on tap power from the engine, which i think is the best way forward.

I can imagine you routing and re-routing the pipework and having that eureka moment as did Olly with mine, good luck with your plumbing.

Tony

I think it would be simple. A little squirt of the HE.......

which means that the Heat Exchanger can stay if its of benefit.

I presume you are you referring to the "Intercooler Heat Exchanger" if so leave it in, or did you mean the KC HE, if IHE either have a by-pass valve if you wish to divert the flow, but if your AC was to fail that's your only backup for cooling.

Last edited:
Well the initial route is

Killer Chiller - Pump - Supercharger - Heat Exchanger - Tank

Results so far tick over stationary 10C drop in IAT

Driving at 30 mph 14C drop

A couple of very light pulls recovery is almost instant which is a big improvement as previously took more than a minute.

So far happy will see what difference taking the heat exchanger out of the equation does and get it on the dyno for a full pull.

Then it's on to the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom