E55AMG nearly beaten by an E250CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flowrider

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
Fifth Gear did a 0-70-0 mph test between a 2000 E55AMG and a new E250CDI, the E55 won but only just. I wonder what the result would have been if they had used an E350 instead.

David

I believe it was a member's car, but not sure if MBClubUK or MBOF :dk:.

Where can I watch this, is there a link somewhere?

Never mind 0-70-0. It's all in gear acceleration, 50-70, 70-90, 100-120 etc in my opinion. I'd imagine the old E55 would waltz it compared to the E250CDI.

That E55 was launched very badly.

There is an art to getting an E55K off the line quickly so I imagine the same applies to an E55.

Did anyone else notice the way the E250 dived under braking? The E55 seemed to stop in a much less dramatic fashion.

Maybe, maybe not...there's less than a second to 60 between the 350 and 250,

250 Pre and post facelift does 7.5 to 62.
350 Pre facelift - 6.1 and post facelift 6.6

I wonder why they reduced the power output of the 350?

Either way, a second to 62 is a huge difference.

I almost felt sorry for the old E55. Let it have it's glory. It was a great car in it's day.

Luckily they didn't pitch it against the new E63, the slaughtering would have been merciless.

Maybe, maybe not...there's less than a second to 60 between the 350 and 250,

And there was half a second difference between the overall time between the 250 and E55.

Agreed. I think the W210 is starting to reach a good stage of age. The W211 is looking a little awkward at the moment IMO.

Is it 'leave on the traction control?' ;-)

I've never tried a quick launch without it.
I only turn off ESP to light up the rears when due to replace. :bannana:
However, even leaving it on, there is still more to it. If you just nail it, ESP will kick in instantly and reduce the power and you will be left waiting for the ESP to disengage.

You'll get away much quicker by using approx 50% throttle initially for about a second and then flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom