E55AMG Transmission stuck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Minden99

Car
W211 E55 AMG
Anyone had this issue. Driving ok no problems. Set off from lights (Not stupidly, but fast ish) slight rough engagement then accelerate on to motorway but would not change gear 70mph rough 3500/4000rpm so think stuck in gear.
No way to change gears with stick or paddles/buttons. Engine warning on and I believe in limp home mode.

Engine (MESFI2.8) had codes P2061, P2064 and P2066.

Transmission (ETC) had current and stored codes P2221 and P2108. and stored P2104, P2200 and P2222.

Reset codes but didn't drive and nothing else before asking you gurus but now have

Engine P2064
Trans P2108 and P2221

Cannot see any obvious oil leaks so wondering if oil level or dirty oil could cause this before spending a fortune stripping sump off.

Any ideas chaps.

D

Last edited:
First check atf level, correct if required, then test drive.

If still faulty consider when was the atf and filter last changed? If more than 30k ago change anyway.

If still faulty could possibly be the electro-plate failing. Does cycling the IGN clear the fault?

Get a STAR diagnosis done

as above ^^^^ first

also it might need a transmission oil change

Yes cheers guys. Just ordered the dipstick so waiting for that at moment. I've had it since 114000kms now at 134000 not had 1 whilst I have had but been serviced by mb last year so if needed would have thought they'd have done but that might be silly thought lol.
Cycling ignition doesn't do anything though.
It does bang into drive and reverse when using shifter and engine running.
I have star to read codes out. Suppose I could further drill down test,actuators etc etc.
I'll let you know more when dip comes

I would never trust a servicing agent to automatically do stuff like that.

I don't know if our E55s were part of the "sealed for life" era but if they are, MB would have never have done it.

I request mine be done every 40K to be sure (although I don't use MB)!

Regarding ATF changes ... Look up servicing by a BG PRODUCTS agent ( I'm not affiliated with them in any way) ... They hook up a send and return on the torque converter and box respectively and cycle through 16 litres of ATF fluid, changing the fluid in the box AND converter. I've had it done on mine and it's a great job. That, a new filter and a clean up of the magnets and sump and you're pretty much back to factory spec. Cost me €250 here in Ireland and I recommend it highly. It may not solve your problem ( possibly the valve body or transmission ECU in your case?) ... I hope this helps in some way.

Rob ...

Note:

When main dealers change the ATF they only change what's in the box ( approx. 4.5 litres). The box and converter hold approximately 8 / 8.5 litres combined.

Rob ...

So far

Cheers guys.
Double checked. Had 5litres of oil 20,000 miles ago and new electric pilot bush connector.
So have checked oil level and looks perfect including clean on dipstick. Was surprised not to find the usual red at must be MB type.
Anyway had a look underneath and found minute oil leak.
Removed undershield and reviewed electrical connection. Was wet . The quarter turn plug was slack, turned it and pulled plug out and absolutely covered in oil so we.ll try a new one first and electrical contact cleaner. I'll let you know outcome

Attachments

• 20160627_185157-1.jpg
    20160627_185157-1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 22
Problem resolved

Replaced the electrical pilot adaptor, cleaned and blew out all connectors. Reconnected wiring. Fault still present but then need clear errors with MB Star. Check oil level still OK. Run engine all lights off and errors still off. Road tested and all OK. This is one to remember if multiple error codes and points to close together electrical terminals cross shorting.
Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom