E55K... a future classic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
I've thought about this on and off in the last few years.

Will the E55K ever be a "classic"? The club, in which the likes of the 560SEC, 190 Cosworth and other such greats, grace the membership list?

The E55K has a lot going for it - it's very fast as standard, tuneable, arguably very reliable, great looking (almost timeless to me), "cheap" road tax, comfortable and a limo when you want it...

It also has some negatives of course but I see the main reason which might prevent it becoming a classic is the sheer complexity of it. Trying to get parts for it in as it hits double-decade age might be interesting.

EDIT: It's the last of the supercharged too.

Difficult to tell really if it will ever be regarded as a classic. Like you, I struggle to see what could replace it for similar money and I'm stumped. The engine is the real masterpiece IMO and should be thought of in the same breath as the 6.2 V8.

Current pricing still indicates to me its a sought after car and high spec, low mileage cars in excellent condition still fetch strong money. As you mention, getting parts in the future may be difficult.

I think potentially yes, particularly if you can keep the mileage down and get it in conditioned storage whilst in A1 condition with summer use only and servicing...

Howmanyleft shows current E55 720 licenced / 151 SORN only, however this covers both W210 / 211, they will become scarce in the years to come as the numbers fall away, rarity will increase collector demand...maybe a few have been put away already looking at the rise in SORN numbers.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mercedes_e55_amg_auto

Last edited:
I'd think the CLS55 is more "collectable", far fewer ever produced, only two years in production. Very unique design, the E55 very common shape.

It would be nice to think they will become classics but at best think that low mileage pristine examples may be worth a premium in say the next 5 years. I agree that the "wagon" or CLS are more likely to become sought after due to lower numbers globally, but there is no question that prices have been firming up recently and this is a positive sign. I've been toying with putting mine up for sale but am confident that if I kept it another year I'll not lose out financially. Time will tell what happens with these beasts.

Jules

I'd think the CLS55 is more "collectable", far fewer ever produced, only two years in production. Very unique design, the E55 very common shape.

Agree totally, however for me the E is preferable. Just the closest interpretation of the old BMW E28 M5; no one notices it but boy does it have a big stick. That's the bit I like. The total unobtrusiveness of it. I wouldn't have a cls for that reason. Too visible.

Debadged its the classic 'wolf in sheeps clothing'...appearing like any other W211 except for the quads jets out the back:eek:

Agree totally, however for me the E is preferable. Just the closest interpretation of the old BMW E28 M5; no one notices it but boy does it have a big stick. That's the bit I like. The total unobtrusiveness of it. I wouldn't have a cls for that reason. Too visible.

C63 will be a classic in 507 or BS form.

Everything else is generic

The engine is the real masterpiece IMO and should be thought of in the same breath as the 6.2 V8.

The 6.2 is revered for only two things; the naturally aspirated sound and the fact Mercedes stuffed that sized engine into a small executive car. The 55K engine is, simply by being in the Sport Leicht Rennsport McLaren, a legend.

The other thing to take into account is that the 55K engine was released at a time when Mercedes were still making Q-Cars for the more discerning gentleman, thus there won't be the same amount of blind enthusiasm for it as a certain other model.

Will the E55K ever be a "classic"? The club, in which the likes of the 560SEC, 190 Cosworth and other such greats, grace the membership list?

I think it will, and I think it is down to that the E55K acts as almost a cut-off point between what AMG was and what it became.

The sheer volume of AMG cars sold from around 2007/08 means that those sold before then will always have an inherent rarity because they didn't sell as many and the marketing strategy was completely different; Mercedes went after the RS4 and Mfree punters with a vengeance and certainly sold a colossal amount by doing so.

Should we throw the C55 into the mix? Even rarer than the E55k and will low mileage examples gain in price?

The E55K has a lot going for it - it's very fast as standard, tuneable, arguably very reliable, great looking (almost timeless to me), "cheap" road tax, comfortable and a limo when you want it...

I am not sure it will be in the 190 cosworth/560sec kind of territory. The blindingly obvious plus is the supercharged engine, and the way it performs. As much as i am happy with the way my car looks, i think that is the department that may hold it back.

I think it will have a strong following and appreciation by true car lovers in the coming years. A classic? Im not so sure, I would love it to be true.

In my eyes it has the ingredients to be one but lacks the notoriety that a true classic or future classic has. No one ever seems to know what my car is or what makes it special. This I like and it's one of the reasons I choose the car even though it's old.

The opposite is true of say the 190 so called Cosworth. Even my old dad will point them out and we then have an argument that it's not a cosworth...... Sorry the long term 90s Ford fan comes out in me.

So in answer to the OP, yes I hope it will and I think it deserves to be one but I'm just not sure it's truly special enough.

Id argue with reliable and cheap road tax lol. If you get an 06 it aint gonna be cheap to tax.

Main thing stopping it is the gearbox IMO and its handling.

Id argue with reliable and cheap road tax lol. If you get an 06 it aint gonna be cheap to tax.

Main thing stopping it is the gearbox IMO and its handling.

Think it handles OK for a big barge. With you on the gearbox. When you see what a modern gearbox does for acceleration you realise that you have 100 HP more than you would otherwise need . Although I did enjoy my stint on the autobahn a month or so ago with a 911 gt3 who I think thought I was driving a diesel to start with..... Gearbox not so critical at 130 to 140.

The way these pull from 120 up is truly astounding. That's where they really fly.

Tax, handling and gearbox has nothing to do if it will be a classic or not. There are many classic cars that suffer similar issues but are highly desirable.

I would say it's well on its way already. I've been offered very good money by other car nuts twice in the last 3 months. On both occasions over 25% more than I have spent buying and making the car perfect. People who like cars know what it is and the rarity of the estate will make it a modern classic, no doubt

Mine being mint, 60,000 miles and looking completely standard inside and out (not mechanically mind you)... I'm pretty happy! Its also why I will only be using mine in the summer from now on and keeping it garaged the rest of the time

If you've got a good one then keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom