E55K AMG mild modications

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is a close up of the rear aches from the above photos:

Standard AMG Sport II setting
savman-albums-e55k-modified-parts-picture5685-standard-close-up.jpg

Renntech standard setting close up
savman-albums-e55k-modified-parts-picture5684-renntech-close-up.jpg

Front LED Sidelights from KillerHERTZ - they have grown on me over the last 24 hours, what do you think?

savman-albums-savman-e55k-estate-picture5686-led-sidelights.jpg

Last edited:
Front LED Sidelights from KillerHERTZ - they have grown on me over the last 24 hours, what do you think?

savman-albums-savman-e55k-estate-picture5686-led-sidelights.jpg

I like it - the amber hue created by the old bulbs looks crappy next to Xenons.

I saw one on my way home from work a couple of months ago which had these front lights but have not seen any others so not many.

Savman, looking good mate, in regards to the ELM, lower it goes the more compressed the shocks get so the harder the ride becomes, pretty normal.

what was the problem with the grill after putting the HE in?

what was the problem with the grill after putting the HE in?

It was like it since I bought the car, one of those things you notice the first time you give it a thorough wash. I have been on the look out but did not put much effort in, I will now as it would be a shame for a rock to go through the hole and damage the HE.

Looks good! you say they are growing on you? werent you keen at 1st?

Looking good :thumb:.

I have my DLM default back to standard height above 30mph, it's such a cool toy.

KillerHERTZ said:
Looks good! you say they are growing on you? werent you keen at 1st?

The bulbs are great Karl, I was nervous of the "look" before they come and was not entirely sure when I first put them in. It's a fine line whenever you change something as to whether it improves it visually or makes it look ridiculous!

Iv just recently changed my sidelights and rear number plate lights to white LED's aswell. Just like SavMan i too wasnt sure on the look first, maybe because i changed them whilst it was still relatively light.

A few hours later when i switched them i on i fell in love with them instantly, it was something i should have done when i first got the car i think.

But unlike SavMan, on my passenger side i had to practically remove the headlight to get mine in, to say its a tight squeeze is a bit of an understatement. While the headlight was out i did think about one other thing that i should have done but never got round to it at the time, i feel im going to regret this later, but i should have changed the side indicator bulbs to silver ones aswell to get rid of that orangey splodge in the headlight.

SavMan, great project, glad the car is coming along!

I've enjoyed mine for only a day (but what a day!) and to get it ready for the VMax it went straight in the body shop the next day to get the superglued "V12biturbo" badge off the boot lid, where it is at the moment until some time next week. Wheels are on their way from Germany, ECU/TCU are crossing the Atlantic, can't wait to get the car in one piece to finally test drive it properly!

It's nice to see you, Ricky, Olly, Acid and other folks busy modding/prepping the cars for the event in this short time frame! I'm getting excited day by day and I'm yet to learn to drive my new car before I gun it down the airstrip.

Keep up the good work guys, it's going to be a great day out with lots of modified metal!

To stay on topic, does one lose any comfort when lowering the suspension with module or the links?

To stay on topic, does one lose any comfort when lowering the suspension with module or the links?

On my E55 wagon yes it does affect ride quality, I also have stock 18 inch wheels. I have been running the standard Renntech setup and reverted to stock settings today by disabling the DLM just to double check.

The result you definitely feel the road more both through the steering and the seat, it’s not terrible and it’s a very similar feel to moving up size wheel. As a guess I would say more than 1inch but less than 2 inch, if you get my drift. You don’t however experience any tram lining or wandering as you would with wheel size change.
The plus points
More feedback of what the front wheels especially are doing not had a chance yet to experiment on the edge for the rears until I have had the remap.
The initial turn in is far sharper I often found that it would take that initial half a second before the air struts were stiffened by the on board gizmo's, that now seems less.

So in a nut shell yes there is a slight loss in comfort but the car feels more alive in fact I would say it’s how the E55 should have been out of the factory. This kit is not just about making car look better, I really like it :thumb:

Mines an S55 so slightly bigger and heavier, and also lowered on links.

But the ride quality after the drop is somewhat the same as what SavMan has said, its a little more stiffer but nothing that i couldnt personally live with.

I normally only use my car on the motorway so i cant tell too much of a difference on there. But around local roads it has a tendancy to twitch slightly when it goes over a pot hole or a drain cover, moreso from the rear. I think they call it "bump steer".

Having said all of that though, it definitely definitely needs the geometry checking and setting after a drop. Iv had mine lowered for a couple of months and havnt done anything about it, now the insides of my tyres are nearly worn out. Next week im replacing the alloys with a set of 19" ones iv already got, at the same time im going to get it 4 wheel laser aligned on one of them Hunter machines. Has done wonders on my previous cars, lets hope it does the same here.

Well everything seems to have come to a complete standstill.

UK customs decided to hold up my headers for 4 days and then decided to flag them earlier today for inspection which could be days, I was told by the courier not to expect them this week!

In addition after taking things easy on my drive down to West Tuning I had noticed the car was becoming less erratic, however it seemed to have a flat spot at about 2000 rpm. I dropped the car off and had a call from Ray at West Tuning later that day to give me the bad news he got a dreaded CEL on the way back from the station when he dropped me off.
No progress was made today so I am hoping for some better news and some more detail tomorrow on what the problem and plan of action is.

Feel your pain SavMan.

I know very little about such matters and hope you get things sorted out in plenty of time. When mine was erratic / surging, and the horrid CEL appeared, it was the 'throttle body' that needed replacing :(

Did the trick though. Good luck with yours.

From the frying pan into the fire!

Well things have moved on since yesterday, firstly the error was not directly pointing to the TB but it did seem to point towards a vacuum problem. Ray managed to get them cleared and spent some time driving around data logging and adjusting with the help one of his colleagues. Jerry from Eurocharged agreed to be available and eventually two very small leaks were identified, one in the TB spacer that came pre assembled in the kit and the other where one of the pipes had worked itself back but not off the connector. Armed with the data from the day’s work Ray went about solving and was happy to move onto the next step.
Prior to getting on the dyno Ray then discovered that the ECU had been removed before and even worse the eprom removed and resoldered, it then got even worse on closer inspection of the files he discovered an encrypted file which effectively locks the ecu from being read or altered!!!!
As their is no known paperwork to show who carried out any previous work I managed to find the previous owners number and attempted to contact him but with no success.
So into the fire,
Our only option at this stage is to remove the eprom and replace with a new clean one with loaded settings of cars that Ray has tuned in the past in the hope he can get the car running and map a fresh from there. This carries a number of risks not least of all is that in removing the eprom multiple times from an ecu can cause damage which is difficult if not impossible to repair and may well result in the need of a new ecu.

Hopefully things will all be going to plan and I will be posting some images and sound files of the x pipe/de-cat.

Last edited:
Hey Savman, hope it works out mate, sounds like you havent had the simplest of rides getting this project finished. Lets hope the chip replacement works.

Hey Savman, hope it works out mate, sounds like you havent had the simplest of rides getting this project finished. Lets hope the chip replacement works.

Thanks Alps - I am not overly concerned at this stage and having modified several cars one thing I have learned is to budget both in terms of additional time and possible expense. I am also in very capable hands between Jerry at Eurocharged, Olly at PCS and Ray at West Tuning I know that this work will be completed to a high standard by people who care about the quality of product or service they deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom