E55K - LSD fitted or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Ever since I bought mine, I've been under the impression it didn't have one fitted, and I've not fitted one.

However, thinking back, when I first got through a set of budget rears - I lit them up. Turning off ESP - I was able to leave a large 11.

A post on here not so long ago made me wonder if I had one or not.

The reason for the doubt was, even without ESP, I thought the remaining stability which is left on until dyno mode is enabled, was doing something clever.

My test has always been, turn off ESP and with one wheel on a loose surface - nail it and see if it grips or not.

I've not remember to try this yet but anyone with an E55K without LSD know what they get in this situation?

Or is thee any other way to tell - it doesn't seem to appear on my option list so I guess it could have been retro-fitted or be a non-OEM one.

A simple test to try and establish if you have a Limited Slip Differential, is to lift the rear of your car. Now turn one of the rear wheels. If the other wheel rotates in the same way, you probably do have a LSD fitted. If the other wheel rotates the other way, you probably don't.

you just need to jack the rear of the car up and put it into gear if both wheels turn then you have a lsd if only one turns you haven't

A simple test to try and establish if you have a Limited Slip Differential, is to lift the rear of your car. Now turn one of the rear wheels. If the other wheel rotates in the same way, you probably do have a LSD fitted. If the other wheel rotates the other way, you probably don't.

Why probably?

I'm sure this suggestion got shot down in a post not so long ago...

I'll try it anyway.

Cheers! :thumb:

Last edited:
Find a deserted carpark and be a bit naughty with the revs and clutch. If you lay a big fat number 11 you know you have it:devil:

Why probably?

I'm sure this suggestion got shot down in a post not so long ago...

I'll try it anyway.

Cheers! :thumb:

Why, because there are different types of LSD and some don't lock at low speed or torque.

Quaife diffs seem to be the most popular choices for LSDs in the 55K cars and if both rear wheels are off the ground they'll behave like an open diff (the wheel on the other side of the axle will rotate in the opposite direction).

Find a deserted carpark and be a bit naughty with the revs and clutch. If you lay a big fat number 11 you know you have it:devil:

Hmm. I already know it can leave an 11 (see my first post) but I wasn't sure if this was still what was left of the ESP still controlling things...

Clutch? What clutch? :D

when I bought my carlsson slk 55 I was unsure if had one or not for similar reasons to yourself the test I carried out was a I described in my earlier post took 10 mins it didn't have one but it has now :D

Hmm. I already know it can leave an 11 (see my first post) but I wasn't sure if this was still what was left of the ESP still controlling things...

If the grip is the same on both wheels - as it is in a straight line - then any car (with sufficient power) will lay down two black lines. LSD or not.

LSDs only go a reputation for aiding straight line traction when they were fitted to live axles where the torque reaction (at prop shaft) tended to lift one wheel.

If the grip is the same on both wheels - as it is in a straight line - then any car (with sufficient power) will lay down two black lines. LSD or not.

LSDs only go a reputation for aiding straight line traction when they were fitted to live axles where the torque reaction (at prop shaft) tended to lift one wheel.

You'd possibly make a great stand in for Marisa Tomei should they ever decide to remake My Cousin Vinny.

You'd possibly make a great stand in for Marisa Tomei should they ever decide to remake My Cousin Vinny.

I've not seen the movie but Google and Wiki saved my day. My evidence has corroboration then!

Mine definitely doesn't have an LSD.

The rear wheels rotate in different directions when one is rotated and the car is in the air.

Then you need one. The quaife LSD is one of the best mods, if not the BEST mod you can do.

I can't see the point personally.

I have no problems getting the car around quickly.

Agreed, imho unless your thinking of doing regular track days, I don't see the point and budget outlay for normal road use with standard AMG factory set up.

I can't see the point personally.

I have no problems getting the car around quickly.

JohnEBoy said:
I can't see the point personally. I have no problems getting the car around quickly.

But it makes it much more fun and the esp doesn't interfere so much. You can leave corners properly.

But it makes it much more fun and the esp doesn't interfere so much. You can leave corners properly.

You can do that anyway without an LSD if you understand weight transfer.

My ESP hardly ever kicks in anyway. When it does, it is because the road is wet and I'm accelerating too hard in a straight line for the conditions.

:bannana:

You can do that anyway without an LSD if you understand weight transfer.

My ESP hardly ever kicks in anyway. When it does, it is because the road is wet and I'm accelerating too hard in a straight line for the conditions.

:bannana:

Well, Olly recently fitted a Quaife to my CL55 and while you're not going to notice the difference in everyday driving when it's wet or you're driving a bit more exuberantly you definitely notice the extra stability. I took my CL around a pretty soggy Millbrook a few weeks ago and it was significantly more stable in the bends and much more progressive when approaching grip limit.

Yes, you can manage an open diff, but an equally capable driver will always be able to perform better in a car with an LSD.

It's too much money for my liking.

Might have been worth it previously but I changed jobs early in the Summer and most of my driving now does not require many bends.

I will never track my car so not worth it.

I don't have a high opinion of Quaife anyway (due to the attitude of one of their staff members once).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom