E55K plugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TDE1

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB & BMW
Spent the afternoon chewing my nails over my decision to source plugs myself and have them fitted by a reputable MB indie, rather than let MB do it. I don't trust myself not to bugger up a thread or break wires.

MB had quoted c£450.

I got 16 NKGs for £120 and indie charged £100 to fit. Just collected it. All went fine, car goes perfect. Dunno why I got myself into such a state!

Just thought I'd share that. :)

Great result, £450 is a joke for that job. Which indy did the job for you?

£7.50 each.........nice job!! Which ones?
LFR6A. The factor didn't stock the one step colder (LFR7, IIRC?) but mine isn't modded so happy enough.

Great result, £450 is a joke for that job. Which indy did the job for you?
St John's Garage. The owner is ex MB tech, and I was recommended to try him by colleagues years ago. It was worth the plunge. And the little waiting room was full of repeat customers.

St John's Garage. The owner is ex MB tech, and I was recommended to try him by colleagues years ago. It was worth the plunge. And the little waiting room was full of repeat customers.

Thanks will remember that for a local solution.

i dont the plugs myself a few hours later they were in, prob safer using an idie as they do it all the time... i think my plugs will need doing before the next service.

LFR6A. The factor didn't stock the one step colder (LFR7, IIRC?) but mine isn't modded so happy enough.

Surly going for a copper core plug in false economy? you will have to change the plugs again thousands of miles before the iridium tipped ones.

Why skimp on such a important part for a performance vehicle?:confused:

Last edited:
i dont the plugs myself a few hours later they were in, prob safer using an idie as they do it all the time... i think my plugs will need doing before the next service.

It took MSL two hours to do mine as one plug was seized. I was very grateful as I nearly did it myself. In true Acid style he only charged my an extra tenner.

Surly going for a copper core plug in false economy? you will have to change the plugs again thousands of miles before the iridium tipped ones.

Why skimp on such a important part for a performance vehicle?:confused:
My bad there with the description.

They are ILFR6A. They are iridium tipped.

Well spotted though!

Just double checked - phew!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 11
Nice one Tim - few car tokens saved!

I think you did the right thing using an inde. I just know I would end up with cut and sore hands doing it myself - especially in the colder weather.

Was easier in my yoof as I often only had 4 to do!

It took MSL two hours to do mine as one plug was seized. I was very grateful as I nearly did it myself. In true Acid style he only charged my an extra tenner.
He's a proper gent. I struggle for time, else would have been up there like a shot.

Nice one Tim - few car tokens saved!

I think you did the right thing using an inde. I just know I would end up with cut and sore hands doing it myself - especially in the colder weather.

Was easier in my yoof as I often only had 4 to do!
Yeh, know what you mean John. The rear ones look like proper awkward beggars. The guy already had a home-made tool to hand.

He's a proper gent. I struggle for time, else would have been up there like a shot.

Yes that's the problem, never enough time these days.

I have done mine a few weeks ago, easy DIY for the home mechanic with a few tools and a cup of tea :D The rear plugs are easy... No special tool required (all done with a 17mm spanner and socket set).

That is a good price for a indie to change.

its a nice engine to work on tbh, most stuff is accessable.

its when things get stuck that makes it a pig of a job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom