E55K Santa Pod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drscrote

Car
E55K estate
Hi folks.

New member here. Just arrived from Oz, where I had an XJ6 that I put an LS1 in.

Picked up this E55K estate in very good condition, came with a DMS pulley and tune. 7 seater too.

Had a shot at Santa Pod RWYB a couple of weekends ago.

Best effort 12.6 @ 110mph.

Beat a couple of Corvettes. Still had the kids seats in at this point.

[YOUTUBE]?v=kofZBHcK86A[/YOUTUBE]

That one was 427 cub inch, supercharged - said he missed a gear to 4th, and to be honest was shading me before that.

Love this pic

IMG_1708.JPG

In car video courtesy of crappy Andoid phone and Torque app with ebay OBD adapter

[YOUTUBE]?v=2FIoabI6Fmo&feature=channel&list=UL[/YOUTUBE]

Loving the car so far.

Currently has bad tyres - different budget brand on each corner.

What would you recommend for tyres?

In meantime happy to be fastest people carrier in town, smashing Corvettes for giggles.

Welcome

Good to have another fast wagon, the bad news is there is one seriosuly fast 7 seater that is currently owned by a member BrabusK8 A.K.A Acid he is already in the mid 11's and that was before a major engine rebuild so he may even hit 10's.

The good news is that a group of us are going to Santa Pod on the 21st October, you are welcome to join us. Details are here

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/events/137031-santa-pod.html

Now to your car, looks like you are having similar problems to mine a few months ago. Not sure how accurate your android app is but your IAT's are way to high which will be impacting your last 1/8 mile (your trap speed should be somewhere between 116 and 120mph). I would firstly get your IC pump looked at to make sure its working and if it is you may need to look at further cooling. You need your IAT's well below 65c and if possible below 45c.

What size pulley are you running?

Here's some interesting data for you on IAT's at each step your ECU will pull timing in order to protect the engine

+35 deg c IAT timing retarded 3.5 deg
+45 deg c IAT timing retarded 6.3 deg
+65 deg c IAT timing retarded 9.6 deg

In addition as the temps are + 50 deg c the car seems to add more fuel in an attempt to cool the cylinders.

If you hit anything above low 80's deg c IAT then the ECU will shut off the supercharger

The really good news is that your car will go faster if you can get your IAT's down!

Hi

Welcome.

It's great to see another wagon :)

Sav man ordered my tires for the 21 st.
What size are yours

BRABUSK8 said:
Hi

Welcome.

It's great to see another wagon :)

Sav man ordered my tires for the 21 st.
What size are yours

Great news!
I have Hoosier Drag Radial 255/50/16 not as good as full on Drag tyres more like a slick racing tyre. Really light weight though with a set of light weight CLK wheels they weigh 17kgs for everything. Wheels, Tyres, spacers and longer wheel bolts.

If I get my prop back we can race otherwise you might need to tow me :)

Which tyres did you go for?

Welcome to the forum.

Mine came with shyte budgets on it and to say the car was a handful - even in the dry - was an understatement. One particular roundabout had a surface which meant when wet, even tip-toeing round at 30mph saw the front going straight with the wheels turned.

Did the rears to Michelin Pilot Sport 3s first a year ago, and that improved the situation markedly. Even in the wet - much better grip.

Then did the fronts early this year.

Now in September and they still have a fair whack of tread left and grip is still good.

No deterioration as yet although they are perhaps very slightly less sharp than before.

I had 5 runs recorded in car with the phone, and have just had another look at them.

They all start with the intake temps around 48-50C, and wind up to just under 80C at the end of the quarter.

Savman your data re timing getting pulled out - are those temps absolute or relative to starting temp? Could be I'm starting with the timing already fairly retarded.

Also I went up pretty much on spur of the moment, had been on 95RON fuel for a while so that may affect it.

Might be free for 21st - will try to make it up.

Do you guys drop your tyre pressures at all for the strip?
What's a respectable 60' time on street tyres?

I tried a short burnout for some runs, don't think it made much difference.

Cheers

drscrote said:
I had 5 runs recorded in car with the phone, and have just had another look at them.

They all start with the intake temps around 48-50C, and wind up to just under 80C at the end of the quarter.

Savman your data re timing getting pulled out - are those temps absolute or relative to starting temp? Could be I'm starting with the timing already fairly retarded.

Also I went up pretty much on spur of the moment, had been on 95RON fuel for a while so that may affect it.

Might be free for 21st - will try to make it up.

Do you guys drop your tyre pressures at all for the strip?
What's a respectable 60' time on street tyres?

I tried a short burnout for some runs, don't think it made much difference.

Cheers

Sorry they are absolute, however the temps will obviously be impacted by the ambient (do you remember the air temp of the day). If you have your engine running and hood down in the queue your on a non starter straight away, I pop the hood open until they call me to the burn out section.
However you still have a heat problem regardless if you are getting up to 80c, get your IC pump checked I would guess its either not working or working poorly. I would also check your pulley size I would imagine its a crank pulley change by DMS so measure the diameter the standard is either 156 or 158mm ( cant recall but someone else might and will confirm) and the normal upgrade sizes are 168mm, 172mm, 175mm and 180mm. You can also get 190 and 200 but I doubt they have fitted that. Anything bigger than 168mm and you should consider a larger Heat Exchanger and/or split cooling from the engine coolant.

Respectable 60' on streets is say 1.8 secs although I have never managed to get below 2 secs make sure you have ESP off or better still I prefer dyno mode but remember no abs when you go to stop!

Thanks Savman - really useful info.

I think the pulley is 180 mm off the top of my head, I'll measure it tomorrow in the light.

Was a crisp autumn day, maybe 14-16C?

The app is Torque. I really like it, very configureable. It's pretty cheap, (free version is also pretty comprehensive). Then you can add on the 'track recorder' plugin to do the videos & data overlay. The data lags a second or so behind the vision, but that may be to do with my OBD adapter which was really bargain basement. They are less than a tenner now. I'm just using it on an old android phone the sim reader has failed on, so the video quality is pretty poor. Must get me a new phone!

Looks like I can get a Bosch 010 (0392022010) from ebay USA for 100 quid delivered.

Reading though all the threads about this it looks like I wouldn't be far wrong just putting that on? As in, flow is same as Johnson pump, newer Bosch pumps are fairly good, not much to choose between 10 and 03 pumps.

Can't check what's on it now as Mrs Scrote has taken it to work.

Crank pulley is 175mm

S/C pulley 90mm

drscrote said:
Crank pulley is 175mm

S/C pulley 90mm

That's pretty close to mine which is 176mm so you should be producing about 1 bar of pressure depending if you have standard headers. Once you check the pump and replace if its faulty give it another run but you may find you need to add a larger heat exchanger to get the temps right down.

Don't do back to back runs these engines need to cool between runs.

Be great if you can make the 21st looks like there will be a few turning up.

Great news!
I have Hoosier Drag Radial 255/50/16 not as good as full on Drag tyres more like a slick racing tyre. Really light weight though with a set of light weight CLK wheels they weigh 17kgs for everything. Wheels, Tyres, spacers and longer wheel bolts.

If I get my prop back we can race otherwise you might need to tow me :)

Which tyres did you go for?

Same size your tires were awesome :)

Let's see if we both can get into the 10s

Looking at my timing slip, I only added 21mph or so in the last 1/8 mile on all the runs.

Should be more than that right?

I guess that the timing being pulled.

The intake temps drop down fairly rapidly after the run according to the vids, but you're saying they shouldn't ever get up there I gather.

If that's the case it would seem to indicate to me the pump is working, but not 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread