E55k Service tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TDE1

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB & BMW
Mine's booked in at MB Draytons Worcester tomorrow for a minor service (£315:rolleyes:).

The "Brake Service - Visit Workshop" warning just appeared :doh::doh::doh:. It went off and didnt return when i got back in the car. Hoping its a sensor and not the SBC time bomb, but something tells me I'm not going to get away as lightly :(

Will post the outcome tomorrow. Off to pub now to drown my sorrows in advance.

I'm sure all will be well Tim - likely just pads/discs :thumb:.

Some posts I've looked at suggest that a "Brake Wear" message would show if that were the case, John. Hope you're right though. The fronts are a bit lipped now..

You've got full Mercedes history, haven't you Tim?

Edit; you may as well sell it to me for £5k before it goes in and you get the shock of your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does have full MBSH, Lee, and warranty, so hopefully it won't sting me for too much if it is SBC.

You're welcome to it for £5k, but I don't know how to take it off the car for you;)

It does have full MBSH, Lee, and warranty, so hopefully it won't sting me for too much if it is SBC.

You're welcome to it for £5k, but I don't know how to take it off the car for you;)

I'll just take the engine and gearbox...:D

Try not to worry too much, with full dealer history you should get at least 50% off (which should take you to around the £700-800 mark) and hopefully the warranty will take the rest of the slack.

Good luck either way mate. :thumb:

Does that include any additional items Tim?

Did they check whether any additional items are due?

If you have time and inclination, then you could probably save £50 ish by providing your own oil and getting from Costco. The likes of Halfords charge the same as MB though.

Did they check whether any additional items are due?

If you have time and inclination, then you could probably save £50 ish by providing your own oil and getting from Costco. The likes of Halfords charge the same as MB though.

Had I been better organised, I would have done just that BD :thumb:

It's a Nov '55 car and am questioning myself whether maintaining the MBSH is worth it now. Warranty states that a VAT reg'd garage is sufficient, but its probably a psychological thing to have the 'right' stamps in the book.

A fair bit of money has gone to MB / Draytons for this car, so if it is SBC, I would expect them to make good representations for a full contribution. Pie in the sky, perhaps :dk:

Fingers crossed - it's going in first thing tomorrow.

If you do not get any joy with regards to the SBC. I can help for much less.

Thanks Olly. Would like an excuse to visit your workshop :thumb:

Update..

Just heard from Drayton MB. The SBC is fine, it's the brake light switch under the pedal which threw up the message. Nice inexpensive fix :). They've not done it today as they reset something and cleared the codes, but said if the message appears again, pop it in for replacement.

Asked them to give it a proper look at the car, rather than normal service stuff.

They are preparing quotes for replacement ariel for sat nav, as its been working intermittently, as well as new drivers door handle as the Keyless entry is failing (only on that door, the others are fine and I know the driver's is always the culprit). I'll probably get these niggles done independently.

Front pads are 60% worn, but they said good 'till next service. Battery a little tired (I do still get the convenience functions off message if leave the car a couple of days, despite £2k on various new modules earlier this year :wallbash:) but won't give any problems in the near future. Front tires will need replacing in a few thousand miles.

All in all I'm a very happy bunny. All stuff I knew about and budgeted for to get it tip top, and can get done at my leisure.

Result! :bannana:

Last edited:
Good news Tim - I'd be interested in the replacement cost of the driver's door handle - my only fault thus far.

John - driver's door handle £289 fitted.

Sat Nav ariel £339.84 fitted. A sod of a job apparently, and they'd want it in all day, but they'd give me a car for the day.

I've got sat nav on my phone (besides which, I usually tend to know where I'm going anyway) so will leave it for now. Umming and ahhing about door handle.

Could you not get the job fine by an indie for cheaper? :dk::D

Could you not get the job fine by an indie for cheaper? :dk::D
Probably Starky - however my local indie didn't gain my confidence when I tried them for something else :(. Might let them have a go at the door handle, but not the ariel.

MB said the ariel's only quoted at two hours labour, but they'd want more time (but not more money) to do it properly. I like that approach, and they've always done right by me so far :)

Fair enough pal, aren't there any indies that can be recommend to you from any one on here, it might be a bit easier on the pocket. Just a thought, but if your happy at mb then stick with them.:D

Hey TDE , do the door handle yourself, its a 15 min job tops!
part number a2117601270 +color code
heres a link to a good DIY although LHD part numbers are different
Keyless handle DIY

the GPS Aeriel is on the roof, you could replace with a little square one?, then all you would have to do is disconnect the old one and place a new on on the parcel shelf and plug it in.

both jobs do-able on a sunday morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom