E55K space saver spare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Finally got one; MB part no. 230 401 1902, which would I gather have been the spare if the option had been taken up, and fitted with a 175/55-18 tyre, P rated, load index 95. Weird looking setup, though; the sidewalls curve outwards from the tread, then inwards, then outwards again to seal with the bead. I presume this is the correct size tyre (?). I assume also that the standard (E55K AMG) alloy wheel bolts will be the wrong size; could anyone confirm what size I need?

Could anyone also tell me the part number for the clamp which holds it in place in the spare wheel well?

E55BOF

That's one of those spacesavers that needs the compressor to inflate it, isn't it?
If so, it's usually not steel, but alloy and your original bolts should work with it.
To check, remove one bolt from one of your wheels, place it through the spare wheel and expect around 25mm of thread to protrude the other side.

Thanks for that. I'll check as you suggest. Yes, it is an alloy wheel, and I don't know whether it is stowed inflated or not. I've not yet tried to fit it into the boot recess, which looks as though it will need the compressor, can of glop, and tray to hold them, removed before I can stow the spare wheel. Does anyone on here have an S/W211 with a space saver spare wheel, and if so, what is the stowage arrangement under the boot/load area floor on yours?

Do you have a space-saver wheel, which is stored inflated and is basically a very (relatively) thin normal wheel/tyre.

Or do you have a collapsible spare, which is stored flat (collapsed!) but has a much reduced diameter and requires a compressor to inflate it?

Your description of the tyre suggests a collapsible spare

Now THAT is what I don't know. The diameter was certainly much reduced when it was not inflated, so it may well be the collapsible jobber. Would the tyre size 175/55-18 suggest this?

I don't really care whether it is stored inflated or not, so long as it will fit into the spare wheel recess. I have no problem with relocating the compressor and bottle of goop, and their tray, to make it possible.

I do hope somebody with a W211 with the spare wheel option comes along soon...

Last edited:
The e55 spare is normally stored deflated with a compressor to pump it up.

Thank you Alps. Is the tyre a 175/55-18 96 P?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom